1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Spyderholic Gets His First Zero Tolerance...

Discussion in 'Knives' started by ViennaGambit, Nov 18, 2016.

1. ViennaGambit

ViennaGambit Loaded Pockets

A nice half-drunk 1130 rambling post. I am a spyderco guy to the bone I guess as I have carried one exclusively for the past 12 years. Started with a clip it (with the built in plastic clip) and progressed to a Delica of some variation when I lived in NYC due to length laws and now have been carrying a Millie rather exclusively for the past 3 years after going through enduras and countless other models. Very much enjoy the police 3, manix 2 XL and yojimbo 2 as well, but the military is utter perfection. Best folding knife ever made hands down.

I have always been so happy with my spydercos that I've been reluctant to try other brands except the ones that were considered the best of the best (I believe in the buy once, cry once philosophy) - I carried a sebenza and mnandi for a while, but after the honeymoon wore off, back to spyderco. Benchmade's were nice and enjoyed my griptilians, 940 and 710, but spyderco still wound up in my pocket after a month. Emersons too and countless other higher end brands. But I still went back to a spyderco.

Its been about 4 years since I bought a different brand, and sold off all my other non-spyderco folders (except for some sentimental Cases and Canal Street cutlery), but have always lusted after the zero tolerance line as I'm a sucker for a big knife and this is one I haven't tried. I'll be honest it's very hard for me to justify spending over $100 on an edc knife these days since after years of carrying I've never really "needed" more than a Delica. I love spyderco because they just work and are relatively inexpensive for the quality and performance you get. Thinking back on my Chris reeve days, I think I must have been on drugs. They are nice, but to me, absolutely not worth the premium (and I owned 2 classic sebenzas, an Insingo, umnunzaan and 2 mnandis). They were pretty. I wear a Rolex submariner, so am not a "cheap" person by any means and understand beauty and function, but this is just not the way I feel about EDC knives. Very similar to my carry guns. I own 3 HKs, but carry a Glock because they just work so :censored: well. Period.

Anyway, was cruising amazon the other night and the ZT 0350 was on some ridiculous super sale for, I :censored: you not, $88 bucks and change. One click purchased the :censored: out of that and it arrived today. It's now back up to $140! I don't think I would have bought it otherwise, but I'm pretty glad I did.

I don't post much, but I love love love this knife. Yes it's only been like 5 hours. Time will tell if it knocks my military out of my pocket permanently, but this thing really is gorgeous and just feels good. The price makes it even more so and I consider it an absolute no brainer at this price. I'm not sure I would have taken the plunge at the current price. I do wish it had a 4" blade like my Millie or police 3, but I guess I'm just an odd ball for loving bigger blades as I could not find a ZT with a 4" blade. I'm just used to bigger knives and it's baffling to me that I carried the delica at all when I pick one back up!

Anyway I'm in heaven and the black wash finish looks phenomenal.

I guess this post is a meditation as I am so enamored right now, but curious if I will be back to my Millie in a month, so this will make for a good bookmark. I imagine therapy is probably similar to random 1130pm posts :)

Thanks for reading and some pics for you:

Family shot - missing my other Millie that is in my car and a few ladybugs on keychains (And yes, I don't own a PM2 - loved the yo 2 so much and they are so similar, I just went that route - twice - instead).
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

A comparison with my favorite - the military really is huge compared to the 350, but is SOOOO light and quick. Like a sprinter vs a power lifter:
    [​IMG]

And just so you know I'm being honest about purchase price...
    [​IMG]

SV-97, Moshe ben David and Dirty Rod like this.
  2. Dirty Rod

Dirty Rod Loaded Pockets

Great post. I recently bought my first ZT too after ignoring them so long and the smooth flipping is a blast. Similar to you, I have a Spidey that ends up in my pocket a lot but it does share time with a BM, CRK, and this ZT450. I'm hoping the glow doesn't leave the ZT or my Inkosi but I do believe my PM2 is an awesome knife.

[​IMG]

Last edited by Dirty Rod, Nov 19, 2016
  3. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

Welcome to the fold!

I have a lot of great blades and got them all trying to find that "One" that would be my EDC in almost every situation and guess where I landed?
    [​IMG][​IMG]

I do switch it up a lot so the other knives get a chance to win me back over but I ALWAYS end up with an 0350 back in my pocket,ALWAYS!

OK unless I am wearing really thin Dress Pants which I try to avoid if I can. Then it is back to the Chaparral or Delica.

But the 0350 just works best for me.
    I never thought I might break or damage other knives,though I have but the 0350 is just a Beast and no matter the task it just does the job and I never give its durability a second thought.

I am not a big slicer though and if I were I am sure I would slice with a different knife,maybe.

4. leigh_ratcliffe

leigh_ratcliffe Loaded Pockets

Can't speak as to the ZT asI have never owned one but I have owned an Endura (full serrations) for decades. Good knife for its intended purpose, if somewhat overpriced by present standards.

5. kensington

kensington Loaded Pockets

Congratulations, I loved my ZT 0350 for the year or so I EDC'd it, only reason it got bumped was for a ZT 0301! Not quite 4" you are looking for but it is a BEEFY piece! Tried going back to the 350 but after a couple of hours I go back to the 301, it is awesome! Enjoy.

EZDog likes this.
  6. SOS24
    • +2 Supporter

SOS24 Loaded Pockets

I love my ZTs especially the ZT0566BW and ZT0900. They are good solid knives.

7. Ippon

Ippon Loaded Pockets

I recently picked up the ZT 0450, and as much as I love my spidies (Para 2 almost every day, and every task) this ZT has pretty much won the "sunday" spot in my rotation with rare exeption. The flipping action (I don't own many flippers, not usually my thing) is so smooth that it's almost starting to make me unhappy with my Domino... :frantic:

jcombs likes this.
  8. TALON52

TALON52 Loaded Pockets

I am joining the ZT family myself. Just ordered a ZT 0392CW, and a ZT 0452CF today. I'll post some picks as soon as they arrive.

9. jcombs

jcombs Loaded Pockets

The ZT0770 is the one that surprised me. I rotate through a PM2, 940-2, Kizer Gemini and Al Mar Falcon UL Talon for dressier occasions but the ZT0770 is easily my favorite. If forced to own just one the rest would be sold in a minute and I would definitely keep the ZT. Truthfully, I didn't think I would like it because of the assisted flipper action but as soon as I slipped it from the box I knew it would become my favorite. I'm not a fanboy either as it's my first but it's a really good knife.

[​IMG]

10. Adam Ng

Adam Ng Loaded Pockets

After years EDC'ed Benchmade's, I also started with ZT 350. A year later! BAM!

[​IMG]

jcombs likes this.
  11. Revival

Revival Loaded Pockets

Im a Spyderco guy too and recently got a ZT450 and ZT808 and love them both. Up next will be a ZT450cf!

12. TALON52

TALON52 Loaded Pockets

Last week the postman delivered my first two ZT knives...

First to arrive ZT 0562CF...

[​IMG]

... and the second ZT 0452CF

[​IMG]

Waiting on two more to arrive this week, ZT 0392 WC, and ZT 0392 BWBRZ. Pix to follow.

nolaradio, Nick4305 and jcombs like this.
  13. 425KRS

425KRS Loaded Pockets

Congrats! the ZT 0350 is a great first ZT to own! Like someone else mentioned here, the 0770 is also an awesome knife. Elmax steel and feels really good in the hand. I also like the 0456, last years model came with CTS-204P and the new model has 20cv.

14. TALON52

TALON52 Loaded Pockets

Yesterday was another ZT day with the addition of a ZT 0392WC #0370. What a awesome knife!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lightnig and tabbywmollya like this.
  15. JordanJamesPerkins

JordanJamesPerkins Loaded Pockets

I just found this thread conveniently after I pre-ordered my first ZT! It's the 0920 that's coming out this year. I'll put some pictures up once I finally get it!

16. ThaMac

ThaMac Loaded Pockets

Yes I agree, this is a fantastic looking knife. But - yes here it comes - for ZT to make that blade shape exclusive to their "limited stuff" is ridiculous. Don't get me wrong, I got my ZTs and enjoy them. But, for me, there is a difference between a certain shape and an exclusive line/hardware/whatsoever. Yes, I will go on buying ZTs. But trying to drive their customers to expensive limited edition, by limiting not only to special hardware or looks but as well blade shape is weird. Sorry I have no other word for that.

But my ranting aside, good for you, you have been fortunate enough to get one of those babies. So enjoy.

17. charlie fox

charlie fox Loaded Pockets

I too carried a Spyderco for many years; a partially serrated Endura was my daily companion from 1994-2010. However, my first foray into ZT world wasn't a happy one. I wanted an 0566 badly and my local knife guy made me a deal I couldn't pass up, so I bought it. Once home I started playing with it and was so disappointed- the action was so gritty the assisted opening had trouble opening it. The ergonomics weren't great, but I carry a Glock sometimes so I can work around that:rolleyes: I cleaned it with a bunch of CLP and carried it daily, opening it frequently figuring it would smooth out. Nope. I loosened the main screw so that it would fire cleanly but not have too muc side play and that helped a little. I ended up taking it apart, cleaning and buffing the pivot area and removing the torsion bar. Now it's a decent flipper, but it's left a bad taste in my mouth so it stays home more days than not. Maybe I got a turd, but I'll know better next time (which will be an 0450!)

18. ThaMac

ThaMac Loaded Pockets

I'd still try to contact ZT and send it in. Not sure if they got as good a service as Benchmade, but asking wouldn't hurt. And yes, I think you got a turd.

Sent from my Glade Air Freshener.

19. Donut
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Donut Loaded Pockets

I started with the Knives Ship Free 0770, mostly because of the M4 and Spyderco hasn't been making many new designs with M4.

It's pretty nice. I'm not a big fan of flippers or assisted open so, I usually carry something else.

20. JC807

JC807 Loaded Pockets

I also got my first ZT lately.

ZT0456BW
    [​IMG]

rkazooti and SV-97 like this.