1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

spydercos

Discussion in 'Knives' started by Cameron, Mar 17, 2014.

1. Cameron

Cameron Loaded Pockets

for all you spyderco experts out there.
    are all spyderco knives waterproof or just the high end ones.
    is the spyderco tenacious in the waterproof category?

thanks

2. defuse kit

defuse kit Loaded Pockets

I don't know what you mean by "waterproof". Do you mean rust proof? In that case, even though very few Spydercos will have rust problems given standard cleaning, the rust proof line is the H1 series of Spyderco knives.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

T.H.Cone likes this.
  3. Cameron

Cameron Loaded Pockets

Yes I meant rust resistant thank you for the info

4. docer
    • In Omnia Paratus

docer Loaded Pockets

Also called the "salt" series.

But if you arent in salt water i use and wash my Spydercos all the time. I have pretty serious ocd and have to wash my knives i carry everyday that i carry them. i have never had a spot of rust on a spyderco. I do dry them well though and seem to have low acid/salt sweat, if thats a real thing. I have a buddy who carried a knife i carried forever with no problems and his sweat rusted it somehow.

5. Revival

Revival Loaded Pockets

As long as you wipe down and dry out your knife you should be fine. If you are near the ocean and the knife is constantly going to be wet, then one of the Spyderco Salt models is the knife that you want.

6. sungame

sungame Loaded Pockets

The answer is yes and no.

No knife is totally rustproof. Prolonged use in or around saltwater without proper care will make just about any knife rust. At least a little bit. On the other hand, no modern "stainless" knives will have any problem with the occasional wash, rinse or soak in freshwater.

That said, I think @defuse kit and @docer are right. Spyderco's line of knives for use around saltwater is called the "Salt" series, and the steel is known as H1. I am pretty certain that the Tenacious does not belong to this series.

My advice would be that if you know you will use your knife around saltwater a lot, you should look at the Salt line. Also, make sure you rinse your knife in freshwater and dry it well after exposure to saltwater.

Unless you will use your knife around saltwater most of the time, I think just about any Spyderco will serve you well. I am no big Spyderco fan, but AFAIK, they do not make bad knives. Spyderco uses a lot of different steels, but all of them are of decent to very high quality, and more than stainless enough for normal use.

T.H.Cone and docer like this.
  7. RBid

RBid Loaded Pockets

The Tenacious uses 8cr13mov steel, which is resistant, but not water proof. My EDC is a Persistence, which is in the same family as the Tenacious, and uses the same steel. No corrosion issues at all, though I'm in Portland, OR as opposed to a beach town.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Blerv

Blerv Loaded Pockets

The more complicated the knife the more complicated the maintenance. While a VG10 Dragonfly2 is not rust proof it has minimal parts and no liners. This makes cleaning easy and there are less metal parts to rust. VG10 is also very corrosion resistant. A Tenacious would be tougher to keep from rusting around saltwater but not nearly as difficult as a Gayle Bradley folder (M4 blade).

Salt knives are 100% rust proof. I recall Spyderco has a salt water fish tank displaying a number of these.

Hassan Nurullah likes this.
  9. Farchyld
    • In Omnia Paratus

Farchyld Loaded Pockets

For Spyderco, H1 and the newer LC 200 N steel (on the Tusk) are close. They're very corrosion resistant. As far as I know, Spyderco does not produce a Titanium bladed knife OR use SM 100, which is corrosion proof as it's likely to get.

10. Cameron

Cameron Loaded Pockets

ok thanks all. I ask cause I have heard of people going as far as swimming with their spyderco's.

thanks yall

11. Brules

Brules Loaded Pockets

From what I've read, the Salt series are completely rust proof.

Blerv likes this.
  12. sungame

sungame Loaded Pockets

I've read that too. On the other hand, I've also read that there is no such thing as a completely rustproof steel...

Hassan Nurullah likes this.
  13. FL Woods Bum
    • In Omnia Paratus

FL Woods Bum Your Grace!

I am a born and raised Floridian who has lived all of his life on the coast. I am in, amongst, and soaked in Salt Water most of year. I have yet to have any issues with rust on my stainless steel knives (including my old Spyderco Police), unless I don't maintain them (clean, dry, and oil). I think that most people allow manufacturer claims about stainless steel like "Rust Proof" and "Corrosion resistant" to lull them into thinking they don't have to maintain their knives as much or even at all. That's when rust strikes, because it's a persistent little bugger.

P.S. I don't take G10 into the salt water unless necessary. Not saying it won't hold up, but I never like the feel of it (for days) afterwards.

Hassan Nurullah and sungame like this.
  14. Slipjoint

Slipjoint Loaded Pockets

If you're swimming in fresh water, you should have little problems, assuming that you dry and oil your knives afterward.

If you're swimming in salt water, you'll need to clean the saltwater from the knife before oiling it. Spyderco designed a few of their knives to be used in saltwater environments, long before they ever had the Salt series with it's H1 rust-proof steel (Harpy, Merlin, etc). These usually had a cutout slot in the handle to allow for drying.

The Salt series is even more rustproof than the old Spydercos were.

However, I don't think the Tenacious would be a great choice for swimming. Liner-lock knives have tiny little bearings and other little parts that might be much more prone to trapping water and developing rust. It's noteworthy that Spyderco's marine knives were all lockbacks, and I'd guess that the simpler lockback mechanism is much less vulnerable to rust.

Blerv likes this.
  15. Blerv

Blerv Loaded Pockets

Yes there are. Actually plenty depending on your definition of "steel" but as a metallic alloy H1 is completely and absolutely rust proof, not to mention a substance that one can craft very nice blades from (take and keep an edge). I've seen a reviewer put one in a fish tank with salinity levels surpassing anything you would ever swim in for about 30 days. Sal has gone in record saying if a Spyderco Salt was found on the titanic it would be completely unscathed.

There is no such thing as a completely corrosion resistant blade because that takes into accounts all types of acids and bases which would burn holes through nigh-everything. I've seen a picture of a H1 blade left on a damp chlorine block and it did a number on it. That's certainly not "rust" though.

16. fkmtb07

fkmtb07 Loaded Pockets

Very true. Getting G10 or micarta wet and salty is nasty. I'd stick w/ nylon/FRN/whatever-plastic for a knife that lives around the ocean.

I find steels like H1 and other super rustproof steels not a true necessity in a marine environment as long as you keep your blades relatively clean, oiled, and maintained. If you don't want to bother maintaining your blades and get them salty often, go w/ the H1.

17. jeepsrjason
    • In Omnia Paratus

jeepsrjason Loaded Pockets

Salt series! H1 is RUST proof!!! It will corrode with the right chemicals but water, sweat, salt, etc will NOT corrode it! I've had my Pacific for 5 years now and its been in salt water all over the world. No problems. My Salt 1 was used to shop through some salt in the salt flats of Uyuni in Bolivia and has been in two different oceans and the Caribbean. No problems! :)
    [​IMG]

Blerv and T.H.Cone like this.