1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Spyderco's Paramilitary 3

Discussion in 'Knives' started by Ethos, Apr 26, 2017.

1. Lellobeetle

Lellobeetle Loaded Pockets

Hey - thanks very much for the heads up, my friend! I appreciate it so much.

2. tabbywmollya

tabbywmollya Loaded Pockets

I could not decide so I have a paramilitary 2 and the para 3. Ive considered the Delica but I like more handle to grip where the Delica seems a little small. [​IMG]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

3. Lellobeetle

Lellobeetle Loaded Pockets

I have the delica and the Native 5 and I like the Native 5 much more due to the bigger width of the handle, so I'm with you on the bigger handle. The Delica is just too thin for me, mostly.

[​IMG]

4. Ethos

Ethos Loaded Pockets

I hope not to that's why I CC, but never is a strong word.

5. Evil D

Evil D Loaded Pockets

How were you carrying it? All my tip up knives get clipped with the spine of the knife against the outside seam of my pocket...impossible to open unless I pull it out. I have had a Para 2 open when I carried it tip down, but never had any brand with any lock open with the blade clipped against the seam of my pocket.

Moshe ben David and Mumbojumboo like this.
  6. Mumbojumboo
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Mumbojumboo EDC Junkie!!!!!

One had an STR clip and the other stock. The pinky incident...I tried to grab something at the bottom of my pocket. It was clipped to my jeans pocket. It can slide... I guess that is what happened.??

7. Sisusari

Sisusari Empty Pockets

Just recently picked up a para 3, and I must say that it's just what I wanted. I loved my PM2, but the length was a little much. This one fits my hand great, has a thicker blade, solid ergonomics. I know that the Para 3 isn't for everyone, but personally speaking I'm pleased with it.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Ethos likes this.
  8. MichiganMan

MichiganMan Loaded Pockets

Reading this thread, I was hoping that Spyderco might resist the colored sprint runs that dominated the Paramilitary 2.

I grew up in a time when all men carried a pocket knife and I myself rotate through probably a half dozen daily carry knives. We're no longer in times like that and my yellow Ladybug Salts have really made appreciate how much the simple color of a handle can make the difference in how a carried knife is perceived. I've found that a bright yellow handled knife makes you the "well prepared guy" whereas a black handled knife makes you that "slightly scary guy that brings a weapon to the office"

Oh, and I found that handing an Opinel to someone just confuses them and makes them hand it back and walk away when you try to explain the genius of the rotating locking collar instituted in 1955, and its 200 year long story from a peasants knife to a tool that Pablo Picasso used and ...

...Oh... ok...Sorry.

In any event, I always wanted Paramilitary 2 and would have jumped on the chance to buy an orange one, but it was only ever offered as a sprint run long before I became interested in one, and therefore couldn't be offered afterwards.

Being the type of person to frequent EDCForums, I totally understand the attraction of a distinctive item offered exclusively for a limited period of time.

But I feel that limiting something like an orange handle to exclusive sprint runs doesn't serve anyone except the party that contracts the run from Spyderco. If someone wanted to contract something actually exclusive, like, say a maize and blue handle for the U of Mich. or a carbon fiber handle, that's one thing. But contractually limiting the lifetime production of a commonly desired feature, like an orange handle, doesn't serve consumers (my experience) or in the long term, Spyderco (my uninformed guess).

Last edited by MichiganMan, Apr 30, 2017
    #28 MichiganMan, Apr 30, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2017
  9. ThaMac

ThaMac Loaded Pockets

IMHO the sprint runs are done by Spyderco just to be a collectible brand. Plus, they can sell more than one knife to one individual customer and at a higher price. There are Spyderco fanboys which have every, say Manix 2, ever made plus two more which are a secret run. It helps the cult around and reputation of Spyderco. That's all. Are Spyderco knives good? Yes. Do they deserve the special status they have? I doubt that.

Sal Glesser was, and is, not only a good knife maker, but also a great marketing guy. The whole brand was developed in a smart way. Things like the very affordable line made in China (and other cheap labor countries) with FRN handles. Smart. People with lower incomes can own a Spyderco and be proud about it. Those are the Channel perfumes of knives. Different from the average knife, and an affordable symbol for the brand they might not be able to afford otherwise. But own the "real deal", and you understand where the reputation actually comes from.

This is where the sprint runs come in. Some of them are just the wet dream of fanboys. Mostly the handle color comes with a different steel of the blade (actually it's the other way around). Like this, you can distinguish yourself from others. See, if you pull your Manix 2 and another guy pulls one with a grey handle, it's clear that you'll ask about it. He'll tell you it's a sprint run in CruWear. So as a real fan boy, you want to whip yours out (pun intended), for others to see. So he looks for his favorite knife, the one that he already has, in a different color. Cuz, honestly, the way 95% of the knife owners (includes me, d'uh) use theirs, it doesn't matter if it's made from, say S110V or M4. We will never exhaust the capabilities of those steels.

All the cutting tests are a circle jerk. From a certain quality up, for 95% of the users (or better, buyers) it does not matter anymore. And still, I try to get my hands on knifes with the best steel. BTW a reason for me not to buy CRKT anymore, a silly reason.

tl;dr Sprint runs are mainly a marketing tool to strengthen the Spyderco brand.

PS: As for the PM2, I think the blurple works ok as a peace maker.

Sent from my Glade Air Freshener.

#29 ThaMac, May 1, 2017
    Last edited: May 1, 2017
  10. Ethos

Ethos Loaded Pockets

I could care less if someone is scared of my knife regardless of color ot type, people like that have a safe space and can go crawl into it. Part of the reason they are so worried is because people that carry and use tools cater and accommodate their sensitivities to begin with.

As far as the colors go, I don't mind a few colors but the last thing I want is Spyderco to go all Victorinox on us with dozens of variations of each blade scales.

Moshe ben David likes this.
  11. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

12. twinboysdad

twinboysdad Loaded Pockets

I think the post a few back insinuated Cutlery Shoppe has the orange Spyderco handle market cornered. Not true. They have released orange sprints in models, but the orange Delica, Endura, Pingo, Rescue, SpyDK, etc have nothing to do with Cutlery Shoppe. Blade HQ has jade G10 PM2, Mille, and upcoming PM3 but had no input on the Leafstorm.