1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

spyderco sharpmaker problems

Discussion in 'Knives' started by blackhatch46, Dec 31, 2008.

1. blackhatch46

blackhatch46 Loaded Pockets

so i just got the sharpmaker, and i cant get a decent edge on a knife with it. i can get it semi-sharp, but not near shaving-sharp. i used to use the lansky crock sticks and could easily get a result with a hair shaving edge. i have watched the dvd and read the manual and read articles on the internet, i just can get it. anyone know of some common mistakes i may be doing? i know about angle consistency and all that from when i used the lanksy system. im lost. thanks. :mad:

2. hawkeye

hawkeye Loaded Pockets

I think the problem may be you need a slight re-profiling to get down to the same angle as the sharpmaker. Work one side with the corner of the medium (brown) rods. Once you get a burr, then work the other side until you have a burr on the opposite side.

Switch to the white rods, and using alternate sides and light pressure, finish it up with a few strokes on each side. Strop on a piece of leather or cardboard, and you should be good to go.

3. Codeman

Codeman Loaded Pockets

4. carrot

carrot Loaded Pockets

Here's a great tip:
    Color the edge with a Sharpie or other permanent marker.
    Start sharpening.
    See where the sharpening has taken off the Sharpie marks.
    If the marking has been removed from the top of the edge, then your sharpening angle is too steep (acute). If the marking is removed towards the bottom, your sharpening angle is either too shallow (obtuse) or "just right." The best angle is achieved when you basically match the original factory angle (if that's how you want to keep the edge, of course), but a slightly too steep sharpening angle won't sharpen your knife whereas a shallow one will.

5. blackhatch46

yea i looked those links, but i didnt see anything that helped. i will try to reprofile first because that makes sense. now when im doing this i only use the corners of both of the rods correct? i dont use the flat sides at all?

6. Gears

Gears Empty Pockets

Corners are for re-profiling (they remove a lot of metal), once you get your profile then you use the flats. Or you can just use the flats and more strokes to get a more consistent angle. Also remember not to use too much pressure. And that different steels will take a different amount of time/strokes to sharpen.
    Codeman's tips and techniques pretty much explain the most effective methods of using the Sharpmaker. It does take some practice though.

7. blackhatch46

The knife currently in question is the kabar fighting knife. I just got back from a camping trip in which i used the kabar heavily. It being 1095 i would think it wouldnt take much to get it back to the sharpness i want. i just dont understand because i was good at the crocksticks, and now at this i suck. ill try it now, thanks.

8. blackhatch46

ok tried it again with the same result. i was thinking, maybe the kabar is so thick i have to do a cycle of back beveling before i do a cycle to make the edge?

9. carrot

carrot Loaded Pockets

Use the sharpie method. Then you will be able to tell if you are actually sharpening the edge.

10. blackhatch46

ok used the sharpie method and it is not honing the edge. i have tried the back bevel too, and its the same. what now? if i continue the proper angel it will take forever to get it right. does anyone else have a kabar, and how have they sharpened it?

11. ChargeTTi

ChargeTTi Empty Pockets

It WILL take forever to get it down to the correct angle but (not having a sharpmaker myself) it will be worth it when you do. I have seen it suggested to tape a coarser stone to the sharpmaker rods to speed up this process.

12. blackhatch46

ok thanks for the help. i have a diamond stone i may be able to make fit, ill try it out.

13. hawkeye

hawkeye Loaded Pockets

I use the corners of the sharpmaker rods to do the majority, then switch to the flats to do the very tip. It is much easier to keep from dragging the tip off the stones that way.

Sounds like you have greater than a 20 degree edge on the KaBar. It will take some work to get it reprofiled, but it will definitely be worth it. Use the burr to determine when you have ground one side enough, and repeat for the other side. You'll get there...

14. blackhatch46

ok i used my lansky crock sticks to get some momentum because they have a 50 degree angle setting. i used this for a while and i got razor results on the straight part of the knife. but where it starts to curve and out at the tip its not quite razor like. i dont get it. could the angle be a little different where the curve starts? i mean its not my first time sharpening a knife, i have done it before with great results. is it possible that this knife's blade goes from wide to thin so quick that the geometry is off in some places (like the curve)? it is an abrupt curve.

15. Gears

Gears Empty Pockets

Might want to post some pics if possible? It might be because of the length of the knife, how long is it roughly? are you using the sharpie method to see if you are getting bite on the curved part?
    If you are trying to sharpen the whole thing in one draw that might cause problems? it might have to be done in 2-3 parts?
    keep posting, I'm sure someone on here has experienced similar problems and can offer some suggestions.
    -good luck

16. blackhatch46

i just finished it up with the lansky system. the 50 degree (total) angle is probably better for the rough use style blade it is any ways. it is razor sharp now thanks for the help guys, i guess the sharpmaker wasnt built for all sized knives!

17. choubbi

choubbi Loaded Pockets

If you try to sharpen a 50° blade on a sharpmaker, you will have all the reprofiling to do, because the sharpmaker won't even touch the very edge at the beginning.
    Sharpmaker has 30° and 40° settings only.
    If you want to keep a 50° angle, just sell the Sharpmaker, if you want a 30° edge with 40° microbevel, or 40° edge, use a really coarse sharpener (DMT XX coarse?) laid on the Sharpmaker rods, to reprofile quicker. Then finish the sharpening the way you like

18. blackhatch46

yea i know, but that is definitely not the only knife i have, so selling the sharpmaker would be dumb. its probably the only one that is set that shallow though. btw does anyone use just the corners and not the flat surface of the sticks? i have trouble holding a wide blade flush on such a small surface.

19. rueingeni

rueingeni Loaded Pockets

Why not just reprofile on the Lansky system to 30 or 40 degrees, and then see what the sharpmaker will do?

20. blackhatch46

yea thats what i was going to do in the first place, but the lansky put a good edge on it.