1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Spyderco replacement clips?

Discussion in 'Knives' started by heck333, Apr 19, 2013.

1. Evil D

Evil D Loaded Pockets

There's no such thing as a free lunch. In all my years carrying Spyderco knives, the only clip I've ever broke was one I was trying to bend into a different shape, so it was my own fault. I'm not sure what you guys are doing with your clips that cause them to break. I've snagged mine on things but never broke them. I snagged the wire clip on my Caly 3 so bad it bent out 90 degrees from the knife but it still bent back into shape without heating it and without breaking it.

As for freebies, I dunno maybe I'm just from a different generation or different upbringing, but I expect to pay for things. I don't look for handouts. They have mailed me free replacement screws that I stripped myself, which I was shocked to receive but I wouldn't expect something like a clip to be free. My guess is that BM is making money off you somewhere else to cover the cost of their clips.

2. Pine Box Parkinson
    • In Omnia Paratus

Pine Box Parkinson Not a N00b

I agree, If I knew it was simply me abusing the knife I say I should pay. But I had this a week and when I looked it was bent to one side. Just from getting taken in and out of a pocket. It's not like it was brushing up against anything hard. Within a month it just snapped off. I think I even had it in my 5th pocket when it broke. Nothing got to it there. I think it is a great design in theory. But I wish they could make it stonger. It's just bent wire. It can't be that tough. I'm going to pay for a new one. I just wish I could get a stronger clip for it.

3. choombak

choombak Loaded Pockets

Actually, on the contrary - wire clips are more springy, so they can be bent in and out of shape easily. This is much desirable for pocket carry, as strong looking clips actually break far too quickly.

Have you explained this to Spyderco? Or contacted the dealer you picked it from? Many times the dealer will smile replace your knife if the case is genuine and then work with spyderco for the warranty etc.

4. Slipjoint

Slipjoint Loaded Pockets

Of course BM has factored in the cost of new replacement clips. Every manufacturer knows he'll have to deal with broken stuff sooner or later. BM has decided that it's better to give out a few free clips to generate good will, rather than to have resentful knife owners harping about broken clips online.

I see clips as an inherent weakness to most knife designs, and the most disposable part of the knife. They often get subjected to extreme stress... not from customer abuse, but just from being carried around in the pocket as intended. And sometimes they fail!

Because this is a part that tends to break from normal use (not customer abuse), I see this as a manufacturing flaw. Maybe it's a less than perfect clip design, maybe it's a bad heat treat on a batch of clips, but any way you slice it, it's good customer relations to offer a free replacement for a cheap stamped part that breaks.

Rintimtin, jag-engr and Nilloc like this.
  5. Nilloc

Nilloc Loaded Pockets

I'm not paying for something if I can get it for free. That would be stupid.

6. Pine Box Parkinson
    • In Omnia Paratus

Pine Box Parkinson Not a N00b

Interesting thing happened. AGAIN! I got my brand new Spyderco Jason Breeden Rescue today. I carried it for less than an hour. Tip up right side. The clip got caught on my cotton shirt when getting out of the car. By caught I mean the tip of the clip got hung up on the hem of my flannel shirt. Snapped the clip off at the screws. I have an ambitious that has a Crazy Strong clip. That was a $25 knife. I pay $100 for a knife and the clip snaps when it gets caught on a shirt???? The clip was so thin and stiff, no wonder if snapped. Doesn't even look like a quality metal. FRUSTRATED!

7. Alnamvet68

Alnamvet68 EDC Junkie

My only complaint with Spyderco is that they have such a long list of discontinued knives, that as a collector, I am SOL if I needed a specific part, screw, or replacement scales to refurbish an older one. As it is, the current models are not exactly user friendly when it comes to taking apart a knife, (which voids the warranty), so one is really left with no way to refurbish or even customize a Spydie without running into a whole host of issues.

8. LSP972

LSP972 Loaded Pockets

Apparently Spyderco has changed their policies. About ten years ago, I broke the plastic clip off an old, first-generation Endura. I called, explained what had happened (caught it on a seat belt); they said send it in. It came back two weeks later with the old clip remnant ground off and a new metal clip screwed into place; no charge, not even for return shipping. I still carry and use that knife.

Two weeks ago, my grandson broke the clip off of his new special-edition Endura I purchased last year and gave him for his birthday in May. The CS guy said emphatically that clips were "normal wear and tear items", and they would be happy to sell me one for eight bucks shipped.

What annoys me is that the clip on this new Endura is paper thin and just plain cheap, as noted in post #26. I have bent that other one (the one they installed ten years ago) several times, but it bends back with no drama. The clip on my Tenacious, which even they admit is a cheaper knife built to a price point, as opposed to a level of quality, is much thicker and more durable than this Endura clip.

So it would seem they cheapened some of the products AND stopped providing freebie replacements. Okay. I get it.

I'm in the market for a "rescue" type knife with a seat belt cutter. Think I'll look at other brands...

9. willydigger

willydigger Loaded Pockets

I've dealt with Spyderco CS and it's been great. Shipped me free washers and screws. When I wanted a spare clip for my custom builds, I paid for it.

I'd even pay for a new clip if one broke. I don't think Spyderco clips are cheap. I love the wire clip and I've never had an issue with a clip breaking. Even with me fooling with them.

10. Scrub

Scrub Loaded Pockets

I have these on my Delica and Endura. While they are awesome I have bent them terribly getting them caught on things and I've had trouble bending the one on my Endura back to where I like it. Unlike most clips they will bend sideways as well as out from the scales.

11. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

As Slipjoint points out, this really is more of a PR move than a customer service move. Also, Benchmade is a much larger company, charges more for equivalent designs, and has more standardized clips.