1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Spyderco Pocket clips

Discussion in 'Knives' started by wanderer16, Jul 30, 2020.

1. wanderer16

wanderer16 Loaded Pockets

I just recently bought a Spyderco Spydiechef. It has a deep carry wire clip. I was carrying it today and reached for it and it was not there. Fortunately it was in my pocket. the clip was way stretched out. this is the third knife with a pocket clip i have had this issue with. I lost a Sebenza like this and I almost lost my other Spyderco this way before I removed the clip. I have done nothing strenuous just been inside all day today. This makes me crazy. How is this supposed to be a secure feature of the knife. I don't have a tool that will fit the screw on this thing so I can attempt to fix it and then I DONT THINK I WILL TRUST IT. I never see anyone else that has these issues with pocket clips and I can not imagine what I could be doing to cause this problem but it is frustrating.

2. MatBlack

MatBlack Loaded Pockets

I've never had that happen but I've seen others post about it. My guess is there are certain habits or characteristics that must attribute to this; but what they are, I don't know. If it was a persistent problem for me I'd carry my knife another way. FWIW I usually have an untucked shirt which hangs over my knife. Maybe that prevents it from getting caught.

3. Boy SureFire

Boy SureFire May The Bridges I Burn Light The Way

I have an older Native with the pinned pivot, and it tends to get caught on things to the point of occasionally bending. I've never completely lost it, but it's definitely not a good feeling to find an empty pocket when you reach for your knife. At this point I've given up on clipping things to my front pockets because everything seems to more frequently catch the clips including jacket zippers.

4. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

I've got a bunch of Spyderco knives some with wire clips and some with metal. I prefer the wire clips; never have had any of them exhibited that problem @wanderer16. I doubt you are doing anything overtly wrong. If these are work knives, are you getting in some tight spaces that could conceivably 'pull' on the knife? Or are your pockets real loaded or with other belt tools hanging down? Just some random thoughts...

Am Yisrael Chai!

Moshe ben David

5. indigo_wolf

indigo_wolf AKA Breezy

Did you already bend the clip back or can you post a pick of it in its damaged state?

As someone else asked was the pocket the knife was in loaded down with a lot of other stuff? The wire clip Spyderco Poliwog is tight to the point it barely fits over jeans pocket material. I prefer to either carry it in a pocket with almost nothing else or IWB.

ATB,
    Sam

6. ThaMac

ThaMac Loaded Pockets

Seriously, no offense. But if this not only happened with wire, but as well with a titanium clip, there is something wrong.

Put a knife on your pocket and check what happens when you move, sit down aso. Maybe when you sit down, the knife is pushed back but your pocket bulges out and takes the clip with it. I dunno, but there is clearly something unusual going on.

Austria est imperare orbi universo.

colin.p and Moshe ben David like this.
  7. aicolainen

aicolainen Loaded Pockets

If you found your knife in the pocket, I think ThaMac is onto something. To fall into your pocket, the knife has to be pushed up quite a bit. I think that is much more likely to happen when you sit down, rather than catching onto something. It could of course be certain place you sit down where a combination of the two is somehow achieved.

I do believe I've experienced finding the knife in the bottom of my pockets a time or two, and jammed between the cushions of my couch / armchair a few times, I don't remember what knife(s) or what clip, but I do believe I attributed all of this to a combination of pant/shorts pockets, sitting down and the actual style of sitting. It's not something I worry about.

I can't recall if I've ever lost a knife, I probably have. When EDC'ing a knife wherever you go, loosing a knife from time to time should be expected. I don't carry a knife I will feel bad about loosing, but YMMV

8. PBJS II

PBJS II Loaded Pockets

I cannot carry a clip knife at work.
    So all my good stuff sits around.
    When I wear shorts I have trouble with clip knives.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

9. ThaMac

ThaMac Loaded Pockets

Don’t wear shorts then

Austria est imperare orbi universo.

Moshe ben David likes this.
  10. wanderer16

[​IMG]
    Here is a picture of the damage. I called Spyderco today to find out what size and type screw holds the clip on. It is a #6 torx by the way. I don’t have one of those so I ordered a set. So when I called Spyderco one of the menu options is “ order a replacement clip”. When I was a detective we called that a clue. Lol
    I will just be removing the clip. I like the knife enough to not want to loose it so it will be pocket carried. Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice or a third time well u get the picture. I am just hanging around the house and yesterday watching the news was the most I did so if I can do this kind of damage to a clip doing nothing I better just ditch it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. wanderer16

[​IMG]
    I went with this today. I may be wrong but I doubt even a natural disaster like me could not break this clip. Lol
    Every time I look at this knife the odds just because come to mind. Lol

Lateck and Moshe ben David like this.
  12. zcb_123

zcb_123 Empty Pockets

I have lost a spyderco in a similar fashion. I’m not quite certain of how it happened, walking through the the woods and perhaps a branch or something caught it and it slipped out.

I work in an office setting, where a tie is required. Because I carry a pocketknife everyday regardless of attire, I began carrying my knife clipped over the waistband of my slacks, but under my belt. It is very secure, very discreet, and I can access the knife almost as easily if it were clipped to my pocket. I started carrying this way because of asthetics, as I think it looks tacky to be basically wearing a suit with a knife clipped to your pocket. I now carry that way all the time... jeans, shorts, slacks, cargo pants, whatever.

Haven’t lost a knife since I began carrying this way and haven’t bent or broken a clip. It might work for you too.

wanderer16 and Moshe ben David like this.
  13. Adahn

Adahn Loaded Pockets

@zcb_123 Isn't that what the CR Mnandi is made for? Put it in your shirt pocket and it looks like your Parker's or Montblanc's buddy.

zcb_123 likes this.
  14. zcb_123

zcb_123 Empty Pockets

The Mnandi is a beautiful knife. I don’t know if it is meant to be disguised as a pen. I’m sure it could be carried in the same fashion.

15. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

Sorta like the CRKT CEO?

Am Yisrael Chai!

Moshe ben David

zcb_123 likes this.
  16. wanderer16

Update

I got a cheap set of torx screwdrivers from Amazon and with that and my Wave I was able to remove the clip and get it bent back to where it should be. I put the clip back on for now. I am gonna keep an eye on it and make sure I don’t have any more problems.
    [​IMG]

Lateck, Moshe ben David and ran23 like this.
  17. Reidar Chr. L. Guttormsen

Reidar Chr. L. Guttormsen Loaded Pockets

I did not like the the way my Chapparral's wire clip would flatten sideways if I would clip it to my pocket. So I ordered this titanium replacement clip from Lynch North West. I think it compliments the look of the knife with the gray colour blending in with the scales. Had to torx it in place at an angle because of spyderco's screw hole placement. Very pleased with the result.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

from my S-A-M-S-U-N-G S9+ via T-A-P-A-T-A-L-K