1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Spyderco Paramilitary 2 or Emerson A100? I can't decide...

Discussion in 'Knives' started by Agent Blackbird, Feb 17, 2014.

1. Agent Blackbird
    • In Omnia Paratus

Agent Blackbird Loaded Pockets

My Para2 arrived yesterday and I :censored: love it! I had one a while back and completely forgot how awesome this knife is as an EDC. I'm paying homage to the Emerson by carrying an Emerson skull bead on the lanyard. hashtagloveit!

[​IMG]

Renegador and LefsaBL like this.
  2. bubbaj

bubbaj Loaded Pockets

Im glad you like the PM2, looks like a great knife. How about the Emerson compared to it side by side? I love the looks of the Emerson, the simplicity is eye catching. Ive had my eye on a PM2 for a long time but how does the A100 stack up to it?

3. Farchyld
    • In Omnia Paratus

Farchyld Loaded Pockets

I love some of Emersons designs, but I feel some days he has a hat full of handle features and a hat full of blade features, and he blindly grabs at some slips, tapes them together, then brands it with the next sequential number. Given that opinion; some of those designs are beautiful. For me, the CQC-15 was the first one that really grabbed my attention.

That said; I don't care for 154CM. I think S30V is a good thing, and having owned a PM2 I can say you won't be let down. The slight redesign from the PM1 fixed a glaring design flaw, and it's got superb ergonomics. That's my vote and my .02c.

4. 875fps

875fps Loaded Pockets

If you're interested in how a PM2 will hold up watch The Late Boy Scout put one through a pretty rigorous test.

thePlumbah likes this.
  5. DEERLORD

DEERLORD Loaded Pockets

Another +1 for the pm2.

I've loved the thing every second I've had too much so maybe. Its so beautiful and perfect I'm terrified to beat it up, I have a little but what can i say I'm a utilitarian kind of guy and couldn't just let it sit there XD. Its the sharpest knife I've ever had out of the box, the blade shape and grind are magnificent for everything I've tried or could imagine. Despite its size its very light and carries very easily, and its the best G10 I've ever seen on a blade, just the right amount of it and the texture is smooth enough to not shred your pants but still grippy enough to give a very good purchase on the knife. Frankly I love the knife and would recommend it anyone so long as it fits their hand and they can get use to linear lock being on the back of the knife, which does take getting used to.

All that being said I can offer very little on the A100 as i don't own nor have i handled one, but on paper it doesn't look like it stands a chance against the pm2. That may be a naive statement but I'm a research man and am seldom very surprised by anything I buy and have researched before hand.

6. The Albino Yeti

The Albino Yeti EDC Junkie

I have both knives and I haven't carried the Emerson since I've gotten it. PM2 is better edc knife and made well enough to stand up to moderate " hard use". Emerson is fine in a combat situation. I would have carried it during desert storm if I had it. I really like the benchmade adamas 275 folder. I am a big fella so size is not an issue. Just my two cents....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agent Blackbird likes this.
  7. hawkeye180

hawkeye180 Loaded Pockets

I owned one Emerson and I sold it, I really think they are over priced. But the PM2 is one of the best knives that is on the market today. The fit and finish is light years ahead of the Emerson.

TARFU and Agent Blackbird like this.
  8. gear_queer

gear_queer Loaded Pockets

i went with a dpx 2.0 in this same scenerio. havent looked back.

9. Agent Blackbird
    • In Omnia Paratus

Agent Blackbird Loaded Pockets

I think a PDX 2.0 is next. Is it possible open one handed?

10. hawkeye180

hawkeye180 Loaded Pockets

This thread needs more Paramilitary pictures

[​IMG]

11. Alnamvet68

Alnamvet68 EDC Junkie

12. Brian_T

Brian_T Loaded Pockets

No contest.

PM2 wins over the Emerson hands down.

I have both and am selling the Emerson because I find it hard to open (I'm a lefty) and the action is a little stiff (never broken in because I can't open it so I don't carry it.)

The PM2 opens easily, keeps an edge forever, and can be opened with either hand.

B

Nick4305 and jag-engr like this.
  13. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

You can always buy both and then sell the Emerson on here when you realize that it can't hold a flame to the Para2. Depending on your tastes, the Emerson may be more aesthetically pleasing, but the Para2 will beat it in every other category.

thePlumbah and Nick4305 like this.
  14. Nick4305
    • In Omnia Paratus

Nick4305 EDC Junkie!!!!!

+1 for the PM2.

jag-engr likes this.
  15. Alnamvet68

Alnamvet68 EDC Junkie

You can always buy both and then sell the PM2 when you realize that it can't hold a flame to the Emerson CQC-7. The PM2 may be more aesthetically pleasing, elongated, thin FFG, and delicate blade tip and all, but the Emerson CQC-7 will beat it in every other category. The question is, do you want a moderate to light use blade, or an indestructible blade specifically designed to take you to hell and back, and then some?

16. astrocreep96
    • In Omnia Paratus

astrocreep96 EDC Junkie

I'm not sure what the appeal of an Emerson knife is. Middle of the road blade steel (I actually really like 154cm, but at this point it really is a mediocre blade material compared to newer steels), plane scale materials, thin liner lock, and build quality that seems across the board. A good knife 15 years ago, now it's an overpriced and underbuilt folder with a weird grind. If you want the Emerson design in a quality build pick up a ZT620.

If you can't guess, PM2 all the way. It's a great knife in every regard.

jag-engr likes this.
  17. Bubba stump

Bubba stump Loaded Pockets

18. yo mama

yo mama Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]Going Emerson for the win. The para2 is beautiful, and a great folder, but there is nothing an Emerson can't do. When you hold both you'll know what I mean.

As to the steel Emerson uses (154cm) vs. the Para (standard is s30v), there is really little difference. The lock on the Spyderco is steel, on the Emerson it's titanium. The G10 on the Emerson is stickier making it easier to retain in the hand, and the wave opening is quicker than any one handed system I've had.

As I have both I wouldn't sell either, but if I had to order in preference the Emerson wins.

If this tells you anything, I've rarely carried the Para2, but have carried the Emerson Vindicator everyday for 3 weeks. Nothing has been able to kick it out the pocket.

Also, confused at those that can't left one hand open an Emerson? They either use a hole or most often a thumb disk. Both are completely ambidextrous.

[​IMG]

Hangman likes this.