1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

spyderco para 3 huge problem

Discussion in 'Knives' started by jocsen, Feb 14, 2020.

1. jocsen

jocsen Loaded Pockets

I have a para 3 and i cleaned it last night. one of the pivot screws was a bit outside, it didnt go all the way in the pivot. so i tight it a bit more. Today morning the knife didnt work. i dissasembled the knife and i found out that the pivot was broken!! Any ideas?A replacement part cost over 30 euros!! I wonder if those expensive knives worth the money anymore. I have a kabar dozier and it works just fine. easy to dissasmble, low maintenance etc.
    Excuse my english, greetings from Greece

cliffb599 and A.B. like this.
  2. A.B.

A.B. Loaded Pockets

In my opinion, no. I hardly use folding knives anymore, anyway. I still own a few, sold the rest. For the most part I use fixed blades. No working parts that can fail you.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G950F met Tapatalk

loneslinger, cliffb599 and jocsen like this.
  3. jocsen

jocsen Loaded Pockets

i go this direction too. fixed blade is the future edc blade. i have an eldris for edc. but bigger fixed blades for edc is a bit uncomfortable.

cliffb599 and A.B. like this.
  4. A.B.

A.B. Loaded Pockets

I carry an esee 4. Mostly for work. But even a simple Mora companion is, in my opinion, far better than any folder. The Garberg is fantastic, though...

Andrew Suder, jocsen and cliffb599 like this.
  5. jocsen

jocsen Loaded Pockets

Yes they are perfect but i cannot go around my shop with thoae.they are big. I own a casstrom no10 and a mora robust.perfect knives!!!

A.B. likes this.
  6. ThaMac

ThaMac Loaded Pockets

Did you try to claim it? Send pictures to Spyderco? Anything?
    Honestly, even if the material would be faulty, I can’t imagine how a pivot would break. Was it ok before assembling the knife? Did it break during assembly?

Sent from my Glade Air Freshener

7. Andrew Suder

Andrew Suder Loaded Pockets

I carry an ESEE IZULA 2 for EDC and its fantastic, another strong point for the ESEE line of knives is there 100% replacement policy no questions asked.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

A.B. likes this.
  8. A.B.

A.B. Loaded Pockets

Don't think you will ever have to replace it, though.

9. Andrew Suder

No i doubt, its a pretty robust knife and if i was doing anything more heavy use i would switch to my ESEE 5. But it is nice piece of mind knowing they back there products like that.

A.B. likes this.
  10. ramjet

ramjet Loaded Pockets

When the rigid back is in play....the nod goes to
    my Tops “Cheetah”. Small and compact. Great cutting edge. Not to pricey either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. jocsen

jocsen Loaded Pockets

before was perfect. after assembling perfect. next morning pivot was broken.

i contacted spyderco and the told me 20 dollars for repair plus 5 dollar shipping. plus i have to pay 15 dollars to ship to US. i mean i paid in Greece 260 for this para 3 and they dont send a small replacement part. they asked photos only if i wanted extra screws(?) , i didnt ask for that. i was completely clear.. i am really dissapointed. now i am thinking if it is worthy to order for 30 dollars the part. but i dont trust the knife anymore. that is my huge problem. i never had a problem with my kabar dozier. and i own knives for over 30 years.(crkt pilarge, crkt drifter big and small, polestar, byrd cara cara(problem with screws), meadowlark,kabar piggyback folder and more)

12. ThaMac

ThaMac Loaded Pockets

Mate, with all due respect, weird story. The overnight pivot break that happened... how?
    Now, I don’t wanna be mean or disrespectful, please keep that in mind. But you bought a knife, which worked just fine. You disassembled it. No issue so far. You assembled it just fine, you said. Then, by an unknown force, the pivot breaks. No force, no component failure. Now you complain about the producer? They would repair it for USD 20, which would just cover the part. Never the working time. At 100 USD per hour that would be 12 (twelve) minutes. That’s not even unpacking and repacking. Unfortunately the shipping cost is high from where you live (same would be for me), but that’s not their fault. If they would send you a part, it would be more or less the same amount of money (including shipping), but if you send it, they will check it.
    Again, no disrespect, and I truly understand why you are upset. But I don’t see how that’s the fault of Spyderco.

EDIT: For future purchases you might consider Lamnia https://www.lamnia.com/de/p/16104/messer/spyderco-para-3-taschenmesser they offer the Para 3 for about EUR 170, free shipping. Honestly but, I never bought anything there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#12 ThaMac, Feb 15, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2020
  13. jocsen

jocsen Loaded Pockets

I dont believe in superpowers. I have assembled and disassembled the knife many times before. I think has to do with some kind of tension, screws tension or the part was defect. What i wrote above is the truth. By the time i bought it 2 years ago the price was 240 euros. Now i now is cheaper.
    I DIDNT ASK THEM TO REPAIR THE KNIFE. And also i didnt ask for a spare part. I thought that it would be polite to offer me one or charge me and send it to me. I am dissapointed also that they didnt give me an answer or an idea for what happend. I found a part to order but i cannot trust the knife anymore. I had previously a minor problem with polestar but i didnt cared back then. i am done with expensive edc knife. I have dozier or cara cara 2 and never had a problem.

As for working costs: here in Greece i work for 40 euros a day , so you can imagine how many days i worked for the para 3. For this only they could have given me an idea because i know they have superior knowledge. They just dont care. I dont blame them. I understand is a huge company and they dont have time for every customer. I accept that and i continiue.

#13 jocsen, Feb 15, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2020
  14. ThaMac

ThaMac Loaded Pockets

You did not ask them to repair the knife, but that’s the customer service they provide. Not sure why you thought they’d offer you a part.
    Next thing, what explanation would they give you? How? They did need to see the knife and maybe check on the broken part. Even with pictures, it would be palm reading at best, which brings us back to the previous point.
    Plus, you know who’s brand Cara Cara is, right?
    About working cost. It’s not what you get. If you get 40 bucks an hour, you cost (rule of the thumb) the company twice as much with all the overhead. And that’s not including things like their rent or electric bill. Just as an FYI.
    Don’t get me wrong, I’m not defending anyone or anything here. Maybe I just want you to see the whole thing from a different position. Sometimes it helps in life to try and fill someone else’s shoes. Even if that’s uncomfortable sometimes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Moshe ben David and Buckeye Jake like this.
  15. Narcosynthesis

Narcosynthesis Loaded Pockets

I am not sure quite what other response you would expect from Spyderco - you told them you have a broken knife and them offering to repair it seems like the sort of response I would expect. They are the manufacturer, so it is in their interest to do a repair themselves to ensure your knife is in good condition and the repair is done correctly. If you want them to send you a replacement part to fix the knife yourself then you need to tell them that. If you want them to be able to diagnose the problem, anything they say without seeing the knife is essentially guesswork, as they need to be able to look closely to spot all the little details that can differentiate a faulty part, wear and tear or user error damaging something.

$30 or $40 for a repair also seems fairly good value for a repair. It wouldn't surprise me if they actually lose money on that once you consider the cost in time for one of their staff to do the work alongside the part itself, so while the shipping and cost may be significant to you, that is unfortunately just the cost of an American made knife (compared to something sourced locally or in China).

Is a more expensive knife going to be for everyone (or more specifically you)? Only you will know that for sure - to some people the expensive knife is definitely worth every penny, for some others (myself included) a $30 Victorinox is all the knife we really need... It really depends on how you use a knife and how important they are to you.

I would however say that $40 to repair a $240 knife is going to be worth it - $40 for a fully working knife, versus a $240 knife that is now a paperweight.
    If you really don't like the knife, at least once it is repaired, it should be much easier to sell to get some of your money back.

Moshe ben David likes this.
  16. jocsen

jocsen Loaded Pockets

Maybe you are right. i am asking too much or maybe they should care more about their customers problems which should be also their problem. . I have a business too in Greece . Ofcourse it is easier for me to order the part from a custom maker for 30 box which i found. But they could learn something from it.

17. Hangman
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

Hangman Loaded Pockets

I am not sure what business you own, but if it was manufacturing, wouldn't you want to see for yourself what may have caused the problem? Spyderco has a process of CQI, constant quality improvement, so I would bet that their preference is to see the knives with issues so they can make adjustments to their processes if necessary. You can't fix a problem if you can't determine what actually caused it.

From the Spyderco Website:
    "C.Q.I.
    Constant Quality Improvement-a process Spyderco applies to product design and manufacture in which changes and refinements are continually made to existing models, improving ergonomics, materials or manufacturing techniques"

What Does the Warranty Cover/Not Cover?
    ✓ Spyderco warrants that all of our genuine products are free from defects in material and workmanship.
    This warranty does not cover loss, theft, or any damages caused by accidents, abuse, misuse, improper handling, alterations, neglect, improper sharpening, normal wear and tear, or repairs performed by any service not authorized by Spyderco, Inc.
    ✓ Consequential or incidental damages are not recoverable under this warranty. Some states do not allow the exclusion or limitation of incidental or consequential damages, so this limitation may not apply to you.
    ✓ Spyderco’s knives are assembled to exacting tolerances by trained technicians, so we discourage end users from disassembling or adjusting our knives. If a knife has been disassembled and reassembled correctly—so as to maintain its proper mechanical function—this warranty remains in full effect. However, if a knife has been disassembled and reassembled in such a way that, in Spyderco’s sole determination, the proper mechanical function of the knife has been compromised, it is no longer covered by warranty.
    ✓ Spyderco’s warranty only applies to original, unaltered Spyderco components. Aftermarket parts and accessories added to your knife are not covered by our warranty, nor are Spyderco components that have been altered or modified in any way. If, in Spyderco’s sole determination, the installation of an aftermarket part or the modification of an original Spyderco factory part compromised the proper mechanical function of the knife in any way, the knife is no longer covered by warranty.
    ✓Broken, lost, or bent metal clips are typically not covered by Spyderco’s warranty. Broken molded (integral) clips can be completely removed and replaced with metal clips for a nominal fee. Please see www.spyderco.com for additional information including recommendations for proper clip carry of
    Spyderco knives with pocket clips. Replacement Clip Kits may be purchased directly through SFO (Spyderco Factory Outlet Store) by calling 800-525-7770 ext. 107 or 303-279-8383, ext. 107 or by e-mail at sfo@spyderco.com.

I would't try to trash a company for following it's PUBLISHED policies.

Moshe ben David likes this.
  18. jocsen

jocsen Loaded Pockets

it is a different way of thinking actually. i have to pay for their C.Q.I ? i asked them to send me a part and pay for it yesterday.. the answer was : send the knife, pay 25 dollars plus my shipping. . it is actually not logical. imagine now, you are i battle, you have to clean your weapon and you have to send it back to the company and pay for it. i have knifes the last 30 years. and it is the second time a knife fails. the first one was a boker magnum , but it was 15 box. I understand , parts fail, it is ok, i dont blame them for that. but it is not normal not to give the opportunity to the customers to buy replacements. imagine that VW or Audi tells you to send the car back to germany to replace a lens because of C.Q.I!!!

korigan and Andrew Suder like this.
  19. Andrew Suder

It seems to me it would be a better business practice to allow customers to buy replacement parts if they wish, maybe not allow a lifetime warranty if they handle their own repairs but at least offer the choice.

jocsen and korigan like this.
  20. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

How do you say in Greek : "you are making a mountain out of a molehill" ?

Moshe ben David