1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Spyderco Manix 2 Lightweight = Major disappointment

Discussion in 'Gear Reviews' started by Nilloc, Apr 2, 2013.

1. Nilloc

Nilloc Loaded Pockets

I know this review is going to go against the grain seeing as how most of the popular youtube reviewers seem to love it, but I have to say, I've been let down by my latest Spyderco Manix 2 Lightweight purchase.

Specs:

Blade Steel: CTS BD-1
    Handle Material: Blue Translucent FRCP
    Length Open: 8" (203mm)
    Blade Length: 3 3/8" (86mm)
    Length Closed: 4 5/8" (117mm)
    Hole Diameter: 9/16" (14mm)
    Blade Thickness: 1/8" (3mm)
    Weight: 3.0 oz. (g)
    Made In: USA

The Good:

1) The blade steel seems to be pretty nice. It came out of the box super sharp and has held it's edge fairly well over the past 2 weeks with daily usage cutting cardboard, tape, rope, etc.

2) USA made. I love it any time I can buy a USA made knife that is reasonably priced.

3) Pocket Clip. I really dig the Spyderco wire pocket clip. It carries very well, is strong and is inconspicuous.

The Bad:

1) The handle. This thing looks cheap and feels cheap. While using the knife to cut away on some rope the other day, I could feel the handle flexing in my grip. There aren't any stainless steel liners, which I think would help...but would also take away the "lightweight" factor.

2) Jimping...or lack thereof. Spyderco is famous for their wonderful jimping on blade spines and handles. This.........stuff.........sucks. It's not cut very deep and has rounded edges. There's "jimping" molded into the spine of the handle, but it offers little to no grip at all.

3) Ball bearing lock. On my other Manix 2 that I own, the ball bearing lock is secure and has held up strong. With this lightweight Manix, due to flex in the handle, the lock just doesn't feel as solid and secure. There's a lot of play in it and I don't care for that at all.

4) Pinned scales are the suck.

Overall impression:

Given the fact that this is a $ 90 knife and that Spyderco has a reputation for building quality knives, I was shocked at how cheap this knife felt. It's possible that I got a lemon, based on reviews I've seen online where folks gave it super high ratings. Or maybe it's that I built this knife up to be more than it should be and I set my expectations way too high. I'm probably going to send this one back to Spyderco and address several of the issues I have found and see what they have to say.

IMO, if you're gonna spend the money, go ahead and throw in an extra $ 20 and pick up a G-10 handled Manix 2.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Lockedown

Lockedown Loaded Pockets

I agree! I was hoping for a feel similar to the endura or delica (solid but light weight) but your right the classic solid Spyderco build quality wasn't there for me. I have a manix 2xl and there is almost no comparison between the 2. I think my biggest pet peeve is that when I go to place my pinky and ring finger on to the wire pocket clip to get a good grip on the ball bearing lock the clip flexes more than I feel it should. Its silly that just doesn't inspire enough confidence in me to edc it

3. powernoodle

powernoodle Loaded Pockets

I hear what you guys are saying, but I like my Manix 2 lightweight. I have not noticed any flex, but I don't really use my knives that hard either. Mostly for cutting boxes, clam shell packages, and normal EDC stuff like that. I'm okay with the pinned scales, as my other Spydies with pinned scales (Centofante 3, for example) have never given me any prob. And you have the screwed pivot on yours, whereas mine is pinned. Its a lot of knife for 3 ounces, but I hear where you are coming from. I like mine, though. Its not nearly as solid as a Manix XL, but it weighs half as much too.

[​IMG]

Blerv likes this.
  4. powernoodle

powernoodle Loaded Pockets

One more thing - the jimping on my thumb ramp is sharp, and the handle shape locks your hand in there pretty good, so I'm groovy with that aspect of the knife as well. Rock on.

5. Blerv

Blerv Loaded Pockets

Thanks for your review :).

To each his/her own. I'm ambivalent to pinned construction if it caters to the design, hate jimping, and dig light knives even with flex.

A sub 3oz Manix2 has to give somewhere and there is a world of difference between "safe" and "doesn't feel safe". Similar to the Salt knives, elastic but tough as nails.

Ps: this knife is $74 in the forum store.

6. StuntZombie

StuntZombie Loaded Pockets

If the Manix design didn't take up so much pocket space, I probably would have one of these right now. Especially since the lightweight version fixed the issue I had with the construction of the Manix 2. Namely, I didn't like the fact the lanyard hole was the only thing holding the back end of the knife together. My Forum Manix actually had a tiny bit of play back there. I doubt it would have caused any issues, but the fact it was there really bugged me.

powernoodle, was yours an early model, or did they change over to a pinned pivot?

7. fresh eddie fresh
    • In Omnia Paratus

fresh eddie fresh Loaded Pockets

The adjustable pivots are newer.

I have the lightweight and the Manix2, and although the lightweight doesn't have the wow factor of the G10 version, it ends up in my pocket more often because it is so light. I can throw it in a jacket pocket and forget about it. It is a great user.

8. shrap

shrap Loaded Pockets

I think Spyderco made a mistake using the same name as the Manix, or not emphasizing the "lightweight" part of the name. The two knives, while sharing a similar shape, don't have all that much in common.

I had a Manix 2 in G10 - while it may be made well, I didn't notice because it was too large and heavy. I flipped it after carrying it once.

I have a Manix lightweight - I don't carry it all that often, but it reminds me of the previous generation of Spydercos. All slicing power without weight and bulk, like the Delica 3. I think the handle shape is more than enough for grip, and pinned knives are more of a theoretical problem.