1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Spyderco look question

Discussion in 'Knives' started by bushwhacked, Aug 13, 2014.

1. BobsBargains

BobsBargains Banned

I have to say that Spyderco's are some of my favourite knives.

I love the hole because the method of opening them really suits my hands.

I have very large hands and I find using thumb studs on knives is uncomfortable.

I had a Rat 2 and sold it because it was too hard to open, great knife but.

But with Spyderco's I find even the Manbug/Ladybug I can open with ease.

The only knife I still have with thumb studs is a ZT0550.

2. farnorthdan
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

farnorthdan Loaded Pockets

Spydie fan here, got my first one not even a year ago (well got my first one back in the 90's but gave it away) I think I'm up to around 20 now with a handful of sprints on the way. Nothing like the spydie flick for opening a knife by far the fastest one handed opener of all. Get one try it you wont be sorry.

twoisone likes this.
  3. twoisone
    • In Omnia Paratus

twoisone EDC Junkie!!!

I think I've said somewhere before, if the crowd you are in is going to be shocked with a flipper like the Southard because it makes them think "SWITCHBLADE!", the spyder hole is a nice, quiet way to open the blade. Good to have both options on one knife.

4. thekapow

thekapow EDC Junkie!!!!!

Spyderco also makes knives with a very small hole that has no affect on the blade shape for people who dont like the big hole :) here it functions as a nail nick to make sure you cant open it with one hand.
    [​IMG]

thePlumbah and Quantum like this.
  5. Evil D

Evil D Loaded Pockets

I love it, it's an amazing knife, once properly modified. It comes with a big funky hump on the butt of the handle that essentially creates a very wide two finger choil behind the pivot. It's a quirky design, but IMO when you remove that bump, it jumps to another level of coolness.VG10 is a great all around steel...it isn't difficult to sharpen, holds an edge decently well, and is quite rust resistant. There are many steels I would choose over it, but it's still a very high end steel (and that's coming from a total steel snob).

Here it is in it's current configuration
    [​IMG]

When the Southard came out, I couldn't stand looking at it (apart from the fact that I don't mind and would say I've even come to like the look of the hole in the blade). Everything about it just felt like hype to me. Ironically, it was the knife pictured above that got me to give it a second look, because they share a same basic shape when opened and closed apart from the flipper and some subtle differences. The biggest thing with Spyderco you need to overcome is the big thumb ramp that most blades get, in part because of the hole.Thumb ramps aside, I also really enjoy Spyderco knives in particular that are designed in such a way that the blade is nearly all the way inside the handle when closed (which is pretty uncommon for the brand) and both these knives close quite well and carry very slim in your pocket, the Southard in particular. You'll be hard pressed to find a knife with 3.5 inches of blade that carries better.

A lot of their designs truly are form following function, and for me once you can understand and see the beauty in that, then the rest makes sense and you start to see beauty in their style. As for the Southard, I had my local shop order it and a Domino in so I could choose between them. I'm a big Manix 2 fan, so I expected to leave with the Domino since it shares a lot of design cues, but the Southard blew me away once I got it in my hand. Granted, there are quite a lot of little things I would change (we can all do that to probably every knife we handle), it's one of the finest production knives I've ever held. Liner/frame locks aren't even my favorite, but I love Ti, I love the blade shape and negative blade angle, I LOVE the handle to blade ratio (one of the best Spyderco sells), 204P is a fantastic steel, there's really not much to hate about on this knife unless it just doesn't suit a person's taste at all. I do think it needs to be handled and used to fully appreciate it. Though the tolerances aren't near as tight, I would go so far as to say it's on par with any CRK as far as fit and finish goes, and it can be had for half the price.

thePlumbah likes this.
  6. BalancedEdge

BalancedEdge Loaded Pockets

Just about every single search for that knife involves a modded version like that. I bet they could put the knife back into production with that little difference and it would be a favorite. What I would want to do is that thinning mod coupled with some inspiration from Cuscadi
    [​IMG]
    It looked more like the typical Anso scale design.

Renegador and thePlumbah like this.
  7. Evil D

Evil D Loaded Pockets

I don't see why you couldn't get those Cuscadi scales and do the exact same mod to them. It's an easy mod to do because the liners don't extend all the way down where the hump is, they just go straight back from where the liner lock is so the hump is all G10. I've also thought about getting scales like that but I haven't grown bored of the foliage green yet.

8. indigo_wolf

indigo_wolf AKA Breezy

If you are think, you are going to only use the flipper on the Southard, you can always fill the Spydie hole with carbon fiber (lightning strike, optional)/C-Tek plug, mosaic pin, or :eek: gasp..... Tritium. ;)

On the Spyderco Street Beat, the Spydie hole is primarily ornamental.

Disclaimer Note: Rehosted... Not My Pic
    [​IMG]

ATB,
    Sam

thePlumbah likes this.
  9. zlindee

zlindee Loaded Pockets

To piggy back on what most people have said, I'd recommend stopping in to your local spyderco dealer and handle a spydie for yourself.

I stopped at a Cabelas a couple of weeks ago and got my hands on a Delica, and it instantly clicked. It might not be for everyone, but man is it a nice knife to open.

10. bull_paqqy
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

bull_paqqy EDC Junkie!!!!!

If i were to recommend 1 spyderco as your first to get a true sense of it. I would recommend a Delica 4 with FFG. And I think they can be had in the Forum store for a good price. I concur, they are some much nicer than thumb studs, not as quick but more smooth, and safer.

11. indigo_wolf

indigo_wolf AKA Breezy

I kind of questions the speed thing, as I would assume other things factor more heavily into that: detent strength, pivot construction (nylon, phospor bronze, IKBS), lock drag (liner lock, frame lock, ball bearing lock), and handle ergonomics/geometry.

ATB,
    Sam

12. bull_paqqy
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

bull_paqqy EDC Junkie!!!!!

I can't speak to all knives, but I know that I can not deploy a delica as fast as say a rat 2. I have never been able to "flick" a delica / endura open. Maybe it's just me :)

Adahn likes this.
  13. Adahn

Adahn Loaded Pockets

bull_paqqy Same for me, I can flick open my Rat 2 same fast as my Cryo...

And about the hole, why can't they make something like the Mnandi opening nick or what it's called?
    Just sink a hole on both sides but leave some materal in the middle. With a beveled edge maybe, so it won't be a "food catcher". For me the look would be much more acceptable.

thekapow These Spydeys just look like blades with removed thumb studs ;)

14. Bobby Pin Ninja

Bobby Pin Ninja Loaded Pockets

I don't think anyone has actually mentioned the history of Spyderco knives, which I find rather amusing. Spyderco was THE FIRST modern tactical folding knife in the 80s, and they popularized the design of a knife with a pocket clip and a thumb hole for one-handed opening. Before that, the best you could do was to buy something like a Buck 110 and add an aftermarket thumb lever to the blade. Other companies came up with thumb studs and other alternatives BECAUSE they didn't want to pay royalties to Spyderco in order to use a round hole. So, whether you like it or not, that other knife in your pocket wouldn't be there at all if Sal hadn't thought up his design for everyone else to copy. The hole is not an anomaly in the market, it is the original! As for speed, look up some videos of Mike Janich handling Spydercos. I think "frighteningly fast" would be an appropriate description.

Renegador, Stutz and Ippon like this.
  15. BalancedEdge

BalancedEdge Loaded Pockets

bushwhacked, I don't know if you've pulled the trigger yet, but just in case, I recently discovered a knife store near where I live with an amazing inventory, and I had the chance to handle a Southard. It wasn't assisted, but the flipper still opened it about 75% of the way. The thumb hole on this one was easy to access and use to open the knife the rest of the way or entirely. I think without the hole it would just look like too much knife. It's very fluid, the fit and finish it perfect. As usual, titanium framelock a bit sticky, but it was a brand new knife. I'm 15, so big for me may be small for you, but this felt like a rather big knife. And yet it didn't. It's not like a ZT where you can feel like you're holding a tank. It had a very thick blade, and a bit too thick of a handle for me, but if I closed my eyes it felt like I was carrying a Leek, it was so light. The thing is just beautiful. Black coated version there was about the same, but more tacti-cool, and you don't get that nice stonewash effect. If it was a cheaper steel and cheaper price, I'd get one. Bit too much for my budget.

GuyWithTheThings and TDS like this.
  16. Pfhorrest

Pfhorrest Loaded Pockets

The hole doesn't bother me at all, aesthetically or otherwise. But combined with the leaf-shaped blades I don't like it very much. I suppose the leaf shape is necessary for the finger to get a good purchase on the hole; thumbstud designs can accommodate rectangular blades more easily.

17. Jerrie Barber

Jerrie Barber Loaded Pockets

I believe I read that one of the designers of Spyderco did not care for the thumb stud and this was the next best way to have a single hand opening. The Spyder hole has been imitated by Benchmade and a few other companies. Strider and other custom makers have but their variation on it as well, not saying that Mick Strider did that as imitation but interesting the huge hole in the Sng, Smg blades.
    Awesome knives and awesome company as well. I wish everything they made came out of the U.S.A. but folks have got to do what they got to to. All said very good quality, very collectable, very sharp, and you will always find one that meets the need you have for an EDC blade.

GuyWithTheThings likes this.
  18. Yablanowitz

Yablanowitz Loaded Pockets

Actually, when Sal Glesser first put a hole in the blade, thumbstuds were all but unheard of. Think about it. How many "tactical" knives were around in 1981? It wasn't "the next best way", it eliminated the complexity of adding parts to the blade. And for the first decade of Spyderco knives, they didn't even have a production facility, all of their knives were made under contract overseas and imported. They are making more knives in the USA today than they ever have before, and they can't keep up with demand.

Adahn, how about this Spyderco.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The big problem with it is, without the hole, people don't recognize it as a Spyderco unless they already know what it is. Brand recognition is very important in the marketplace.

thePlumbah and Adahn like this.
  19. JustinJ
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

JustinJ Loaded Pockets

it varies from knife to knife. it could be...
    • opening mechanism. stick your thumb in and pivot the blade out, or pinch and the hole and swing the handle down (the spydie-drop)
    • Thumb ramp. creates a nice big bump on the spine to get your thumb behind
    • company logo. for fixed blades, knives that are made for two-hand opening, and things with flippers
    • aesthetics. some people like that look. I am guessing Jason Brous is a fan: [​IMG]not a spyderco, but still a good example.
    • Grip. it can add traction if you want to do that spine-pinch grip the chefs use on cooking shows. In the thomas harris novel "Hannibal," the titular villain was a fan of Spyderco hawkbills and a notorious foodie.

20. two_zeri

two_zeri Loaded Pockets

Get one of their cheaper models, and try it. The opening is so much nicer than with a thumb stud. Granted, I personally can't flick them open (I know some people can), but that does not have any practical use! Also there's aftermarket thumbstuds, atleast for some of their knives, if you really really want a thumbstud after giving the spyderhole a chance.