1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Spyderco Dog Tag Knife?

Discussion in 'Knives' started by Emeraldalkaline, Feb 3, 2016.

1. Emeraldalkaline

Emeraldalkaline Loaded Pockets

Hi everyone, I'm really wanting to get a spyderco dog tag knife because it just looks so cool and it's got some hi quality materials like carbon fiber and s30v for a lower price point. I am tempted to grab one but I'm wondering...

Is the "lock"/retention of the blade when opened decent?
    Can you open it one handed?
    Is it actually good for EDC tasks?
    Best ways of carrying them? (Necklace, keychain, in pocket, etc) and what would you carry it with?

Please let me know your guys opinions!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. patriotbosoxfan

patriotbosoxfan Loaded Pockets

I have the cf version and preordered the brightly colored model, for me retention is great while carrying as a necklace (on a dogchain) but may deploy on a keychain, you can easily open/close it one handed, but I've discovered that it isn't that great for edc task its proficient at light duty edc tasks that can be done with around a 1" blade. Overall I love mine but it is mostly man jewelry that backs up my back up knife (today a zt 0560 then a leatherman juice) really if you like the design go ahead and get it, it's a nice piece of gear that looks great!

3. Emeraldalkaline

Emeraldalkaline Loaded Pockets

Thanks Patriot! Yeah I wouldn't use it for anything it wasn't suited for. And when it's open, how sturdy is the blade? No risk of it easily closing on you? I think it will be a great little backup blade and something to carry when it isn't exactly appropriate to have a knife. How would you recommend carrying it? What's your favorite option

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. patriotbosoxfan

patriotbosoxfan Loaded Pockets

While open there is no side to side play and in use you wont have any troubles with it closing on you if you don't put any negative pressure on it, I've tried pocket carry with a paracord lanyard and my favorite neck carry it keeps it out of the way, doesn't clutter up my pockets even more and weighs near to nothings

5. Ross2187

Ross2187 Loaded Pockets

Bowman1911 likes this.
  6. farnorthdan
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

farnorthdan Loaded Pockets

I've had a few but gave them all away :rolleyes: I do still have the squarehead which I actually like better because the blade locks where as the dogtags don't, I will eventually pick up another dogtag though, I like them too.

7. JustinJ
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

JustinJ Loaded Pockets

not sure about the Panchenko designed one. I have the Squarehead designed by darriel caston. it is actually quite a nice little framelock, with the lock face engaging the whole middle third of the blade tang, so there's no play in any direction.

like any little knife, it takes a bit of practice to get the hang of comfortable one hand opening. i haven't figured out how to flick it open, but i can swivel it open wiht the spydiehole easily.

it is good for little-knife edc tasks. opening mail/packages/snacks, cutting loose threads, that sort of thing. the handle is too thin and sharp-cornered for anything requiring a tight grip. Darriel Caston's midtech variation, the kadima, corrects this with more rounding/chamfering (and a front flipper for easy one hand opening).

I carry it in my hanks by hank caddy, same as any other knife.

8. Bowman1911

Bowman1911 EDC Mechanic

The squarehead is the only locking one out there, and why I bought it. I don't usually carry such a small blade, but I really dig it. However, I'm just not a fan of chisel grinds, I'll carry one, but I prefer a traditional grind. ymmv

Ross2187 likes this.