1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Spyderco Delica or Byrd Crow?

Discussion in 'Knives' started by cosine, Jun 12, 2008.

1. cosine

cosine Loaded Pockets

I can't decide. The Delica has the better blade steel and is lighter (I like FRN for being lightweight), while the Crow is slightly smaller overall (which isn't undesirable), has a finger choil on the blade (which I really like), and is less expensive.

Does anyone have any pics of the Delica or the Crow in hand, and also clipped in pocket? The one that rides lower in the pocket might be the one I'll get.

2. qcicustodes

qcicustodes Empty Pockets

I would recomend the Delica, I've had one for a long time and been very happy with it. Its not much more money and if its going to be your EDC blade I think its worth it for the higher quality.

I would also recomend the Native you like the choil, I just got a native and so far I'm really happy with it

3. cosine

cosine Loaded Pockets

I have a Native and really like it, problem is, the blade length is over 3". I need something with a blade length of less than 3".

4. qcicustodes

qcicustodes Empty Pockets

Delica "blade" (ie the metal part) is just a hair under 3 inches, as the Native's is a hair over.

Delica: blade length 2 7/8" (73mm) cutting edge 2 9/16" (65mm)

Native: blade length 3 1/8" (80 mm) cutting edge 2 5/8" (67 mm)

the native is thicker and a bit heftier in the hand, and looks a bit more "aggressive" if you are worried about LEOs or shepple seeing you as threat, but as actual size goes, the difference is pretty small. The cutting edge on the Delica is 1/16 of an inch shorter.

5. 5370H55V

5370H55V Empty Pockets

Have you considered the Dragonfly? It has vg-10 (older version's aus-8) and the finger choil , but its a tiny bit smaller than the crow with blade length 2 5/16" and overall length 5 7/16".
    [​IMG]

6. carrot

carrot Loaded Pockets

In general I would recommend not going for a Byrd unless you're seriously on a budget or or looking for a cheapie. The extra price of a Spyderco over a Byrd is worth it.

That said you might be interested in a Caly Jr. if you can track one down. There was a sprint run not too long ago in ZDP-189 steel and if you look around you may be able to find one still at a reasonable price. I seem to recall them being around $60. It has the choil that you prefer. If you're willing to pay a bit more the Caly3 is perfection in an EDC folder size, worth every penny and high performance. It is heavier than the Caly Jr, though.

7. Sharpy_swe

Sharpy_swe Loaded Pockets

Check out this thread at spyderco.com, it contains some pictures of the D4 and Dragonfly in hand (but the thread is very outdated, I need to take some new pictures ;))

Sharpy_swe spydercos

If you want a small budget knife, get the Byrd Meadowlark G10 or Robin G10.

8. Mad_Maxx

Mad_Maxx Loaded Pockets

I have both, the delica is bigger, the quality is higher than the crow, the crow is thick (handle & blade) and is very well made

Maxx

9. cosine

cosine Loaded Pockets

I've decided on a Delica. So, now comes the difficulty of choosing a Delica. Which one:

Standard FRN with PE or SE blade
    White sprint run FRN Delica
    Waved Delica with PE or SE blade

Right now I'm leaning towards the white Delica, simply because it's a sprint run, but I'm not sure how I'll like the CE blade. I tend to leans towards either SE or PE camp, and as I have a SE knife (Native) I'd be interested in a PE blade. But, if you guys can convince me that CE isn't that bad, and that I'll enjoy having a sprint run Spyderco, I might get that one.

What say you guys?

10. toddtheknifegeek

toddtheknifegeek Loaded Pockets

Just got the waved pe over the weekend. Love it. Kinda depends on intended application. Mine is just a gp application, and I tend to do a lot of slicing with it. PE works better for me for that than the SE. For hard, heavy duty work, the SE will "take a lickin' and keep on uh, well, cuttin' or something. My .02.

11. IronSteve

IronSteve Empty Pockets

The Delica is a sharper better quality blade which serves a better case for an edc knife. The crow i've heard was pretty good for the price too. Its really up to you and ur budget.

12. peacefuljeffrey

The Delica.
    Go with the Delica.

The Crow has a cool name, but it also is much thicker than the Delica is. Plus, the Delica is a Seki-City knife, and the Crow is a Taiwan knife. I, personally, will always go with a knife made in Japan over a knife made in Taiwan.