1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Spyderco D'Allara Drop Point (mini-review with pics)

Discussion in 'Gear Reviews' started by PocketLint, Oct 25, 2006.

1. PocketLint

PocketLint Banned

Edit: At the bottom of this post you can see my most recent addition to this review.

Well today via UPS came my new Spyderco D'Allara Drop Point.

It's a big mojo of a knife. The width of the thing when closed is insane. It's just a large knife. I know the blade is only 3.5" long but dang....the thing is about 2" wide when closed. The blade is a tad thinner than I thought it would be but it's really no big deal. Just something I didn't expect.

I don't know how anybody would have problems with this thing opening in their pocket like I have read. It doesn't take much to open it but it does snap shut for the first inch of being opened; just like the Axis lock does on a Benchmade. I did have to tighten up the pivot just a tad because it was just way to "flickable" for my tastes.

The Spyderbug on the blade is huge. It's just the largest bug I've seen. It's nice though because it's not too big. It matches the knife.

It is the smoothest opening knife I have ever owned. It's amazing really.

The bad part is that I can't stand the ball lock and it's more difficult to close than I thought. The ball can be very slippery on its own even if I have perfectly dry hands. I even tried to wipe the ball a little bit with a cotton t-shirt but that didn't help. It seems like a very secure lock and I don't think there is any way to close the knife on accident. I just find the ball lock kind of awkward right now. I'm used to all of the Axis locks on my Benchmades or the lockbacks and compression locks on my other Spydies.

Since I get home now after dark (almost) I took these pics inside under a lamp. They are not the best but I just love pictures in a thread and I know others do too. :) So, there ya go.

I've not decided whether to keep it or not yet. I've not cut anything with it but I have just sat on the couch and played with it a little bit. Sometimes I almost think that I could get used to the lock if I did it all the time. Yet, other times I think that there's just no way. I almost wish the ball was bead blasted so at least it wouldn't be slippery. I don't know what that would do to the blade tang though if the ball were rough. :)

Right now the jury is out on this one. I like the knife, but I am not sure if I can get used to the lock or not. The handles and blade are great though. I love it when holding it, and it rides fine in the pocket. It went fine in the pocket of the cargo pants I'm wearing right now. No problem. Sometimes the top of the pockets are so thick though I have to use two hands to get it over the lip of the pocket and then it slides down over the pocket ok.

Anyway, I don't do any really technical reviews or anything just really my first thoughts of the knife. I just got it today and have only been playing with it for about 5 hours now.

Below are thumbnails of the pictures. Click on them for the larger picture.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Thanks for reading. ;)

Edited to add:(10-29-2006) I ended up getting rid of the knife for 4 reasons. The first being that it was just too wide when closed. Two inches wide to be exact. That's just insane. You can't fit your hand in your pocket to get at anything else when it's in there. Second, I don't care for the ball lock at all. It made my index finger and my thumb very sore and I really had to squeeze the crap out of the ball to be able to pull it back to release the blade when closing. I think this is because the ball is a ball bearing and it is slippery as heck. Thirdly, I didn't like the clip. The end of the clip is parallel to the knife instead of being canted upward like every Benchmade clip and all Emerson clips. The Paramilitary clip is the same way. Why they do this I don't know. How the clip is from the factory on the D'Allara Drop Point there is no way to get it on my thick pocketed cargo pants without first bending the clip out a little and using two hands to put it on my pocket. This stinks. Every Benchmade I've owned I can slip on my pocket with one hand. Lastly, the knife opens too easily even with the pivot tightened down pretty good. The ball does not hold it closed as well as I originally thought it would. I think it's dangerous to try to close. I almost dropped it a couple times when trying to squeeze the ball lock and pull it back. It's just horrible. I will never own another Spyderco with a wire clip or a ball lock.

2. Concept

Concept Empty Pockets

Thanks for the great little review.

Don't worry I don't need anything too technical.

3. powernoodle

powernoodle Loaded Pockets

I have the "Rescue" flavor of this knife. Hardcore serrations. It is a big knife, but probably the smoothest action of any knife I own. Opens like buttered ball bearings on glass. Keep it in the car in the unlikely event I need to cut a seatbelt off myself or someone else.

peace

4. BigTony

BigTony Empty Pockets

I also own the Rescue version, which I keep in my Bug Out Bag, as its one hell of a material cutter (rope, nylon, seat belts, etc...) with all those serrations!
    I like it, but sadly I heard the Rescue version has been discontinued by Spyderco. Oh, well .... least I got mine for a nice price!
    Regards,
    --Tony

5. powernoodle

[img width=640 height=480]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v455/powerpickle/b.jpg[/img]
    Spydie D'Allara Rescue, bottom, with similar - but less beefy - Spydies.

[img width=640 height=480]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v455/powerpickle/ball1.jpg[/img]

peace

6. PocketLint

PocketLint Banned

Well, I ended up getting rid of my D'Allara Drop Point. It was just too wide when closed and it was too difficult for me to operate the ball lock after being used to Benchmade Axis locks. It made my thumb and index finger sore.

From now on I'm sticking to the other locks. I now officially hate the ball lock. ;)

7. powernoodle

Interesting, Brother Lint. I was just considering purchasing one. It is a big fat knife, I agree.

peace

8. dinoadventures

dinoadventures Empty Pockets

two inches wide?

jeepers...
    they can keep it. sometimes I swear the designers at spyderco never actually put things into their pockets. Why can't the blade be made to sit further into the handle? looks like there's some room there...

9. PocketLint

PocketLint Banned

dino,

I agree. I actually wanted to know how wide it was as I was dumbfounded when I got the knife out of the box. I put a ruler up to it when closed and it was exactly 2 inches. :eek:

I think Spyderco does design a lot of good knives and I do like them. However, right now about the only knives they make that I like are the Delica and the Caly 3.

I don't think they will ever have fit and finish as good as Benchmade. You just can't beat a good Axis lock G10 handled Benchmade.

Thankfully I just threw down $150 to buy myself a Benchmade 910HSSR (high speed M2 steel blade). I've had 3 different 910's and I've never had one in M2 so I had to grab one. :)

I go through phases but I always seem to end up back with Benchmade. I like Spyderco but Benchmade was my first "good" knife. Benchmade will always have a place in my pocket.

10. powernoodle

You mean its 2" tall, not 2" wide. :) My D'Allara Rescue is 11/16" wide, and I assume the drop point flavor is the same.

11. arzh

arzh Empty Pockets

looks like a great EDC
    thanks for the review O0

arzh