1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Spyderco Balisong Pen.

Discussion in 'Pens, Pencils, Notebooks, and Notebook Covers' started by KeyGrip, Feb 4, 2008.

1. quattrokid73

quattrokid73 Loaded Pockets

I'm waiting on mine. Post up pics bro!

2. attorneyadrian

attorneyadrian Loaded Pockets

Got mine in RWB yesterday. Lots of fun to play with. Several of my co-workers have been fascinated and intrigued by it.
    The blue side sticks a bit sometimes, but otherwise, its awesome and I don't want to put it down!

3. RGNY

RGNY Empty Pockets

you beat me to it.

my question was going to be the all important "how does it flip?".....

4. BoxANT

BoxANT Empty Pockets

This was posted by someone (who is much better than me) after getting his Baliyo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERectkFAupo

5. quattrokid73

quattrokid73 Loaded Pockets

A week with my Baliyo.....

At first I was very skeptical. I thought it would never work out in EDC. Then I started carrying it and using it.

1) It's easy to carry. The clips work well and it stays fine even when dropped loose into the pocket. It's also very light and won't snag on things easily. No pressure points either

2) It's fun to play with once you get the hang of basic open/close actions. Even though I can only do one of the tricks on the DVD, It's still much more fun than flipping a standard pen. It also just plain looks nifty.

3) It's not bad to write with. The cartridge writes smoothly and the larger your hands the easier this will be to write with for extended periods. I have medium hands and I can grip it comfortably but I need to adjust my stroke to get the same penmanship.

All in all, for $35 I can't argue. I got my Fischer space pen and I got my butterfly knife all in one. Plus, Next to a white Delica 4 and an orange Rhodia pad, it looks really cool!

6. TallNHairyDave

TallNHairyDave Loaded Pockets

We finally have an official dealer for the BaliYo here in the UK, and he's expecting stock "within a week" :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

Ken can be found at http://www.baliyo-uk.com/

I have two on pre-order from him - one for me, one for the Mrs, and I can't wait :roof:

7. Mister Scribble

Mister Scribble Loaded Pockets

Well, if I bought one, I'd practice until I got really good with it...and then I'd want to buy a real balisong--which are not legal where I live. So much for that.

Maybe if I had $35 to burn on a desk toy I'd buy a Bali-Yo. Looks like it belongs in the Hammacher-Schlemmer catalog. Folks who buy their items would buy this, I'm sure. If you've never been in the H-S store in NYC, it's a trip. All sorts of odd expensive items. Golf balls that talk to you, white noise machines, that kind of thing. They were there long before Sharper Image. Gadgets for those who have money to burn.

For me, I think I'd rather put the $35 toward another Spyderco...like the $150 Kopa with mother-of-pearl inlays that I saw recently, which I definitely cannot afford.
    Or maybe the Captain (two blade angles), or a Salt (never rusts!), or a Micro Dyad, or a Co-Pilot. (It's so easy to draw up an "I-Want-One-Of-Those" List.)

I think there's a niche for this product (folks who'd like to have a balisong, or folks who like expensive desk toys). Bored executives?

What they need to do is to stage a competition, like Duncan Yo-Yo did years ago...or find a way to engrave corporate logos on the thing and let companies buy them as publicity give-aways...

I do think you've got to give them kudos for creativity.

...Heck, I can't really bring myself to say anything negative about Spyderco. I really like the company and their products. I love their creativity and their high quality. And they listen to customers.

And if this thing doesn't catch on, there will soon be something else...another folder...

8. carrot

carrot Loaded Pockets

Baliyo has become my favorite toy since I bought it. I can play with it anytime anywhere and it doesn't get boring because there's tons of new things to learn for it. I have to admit I've only learned two tricks but I'm new to this stuff and I'm getting better as I play.

9. Nephiel

Nephiel Loaded Pockets

This forum will bring my downfall. :broke:

Grey BaliYo now on my wishlist.

10. oxepyonxo

oxepyonxo Loaded Pockets

do you guys have any idea of when they would have the gray ones in stock again?

11. Valerian

Valerian Tea-powered admin

In case any other non-US EDCers were wondering:
    All right then, just forget it...

12. carrot

carrot Loaded Pockets

Last I heard they are trying to work out a something for their overseas customers. I don't remember how or if that was resolved. I think there is a dealer in the UK?

13. Valerian

Valerian Tea-powered admin

Oh, yes! I forgot about that. You are correct, and the link is only a few posts up (or down).

14. PerfectZebra
    • In Omnia Paratus

PerfectZebra Loaded Pockets

I'm tempted to buy one of these but I know I have no hand-eye coordination and would look like a fool trying to flip the thing.

15. kpd151

kpd151 Loaded Pockets

That YouTube guy has some serious skills.

16. Spigot

Spigot Empty Pockets

Good to see people are finding my vids. :woohoo: I read EDCF occasionally, but just registered today. Anyways, I put up a new vid yesterday that shows how to make a harness or lanyard for a balisong. It also works really well for a BaliYo only you gotta hold the knot as you pull it out, because of the roundness of the handles. Heres the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWSeBikJwlE

It also holds the handles together so you no longer need the pocket clips.

17. choubbi

choubbi Loaded Pockets

Simplicity at its best! I love this idea!

18. georgemaggos

georgemaggos Empty Pockets

Kydex Neckker Sheath For My BaliYo :)

[img width=640 height=480]http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l158/georgemaggos/BaliYo/IMG_1862a.jpg[/img]​

[img width=634 height=640]http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l158/georgemaggos/BaliYo/IMG_1866a.jpg[/img]​

[img width=583 height=640]http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l158/georgemaggos/BaliYo/IMG_1868a.jpg[/img]​

~George

19. carrot

carrot Loaded Pockets

That's a nice rig you got there, George.

20. cardoso5fr

cardoso5fr Loaded Pockets