1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Spyderco Balisong Pen.

Discussion in 'Pens, Pencils, Notebooks, and Notebook Covers' started by KeyGrip, Feb 4, 2008.

1. LLCoolBeans

LLCoolBeans Empty Pockets

If no one will buy them for that price Spiderco will lower the price. If enough people will buy them for that price to cover their costs and turn a profit then, yes the price is justified. If you don't like the price, don't buy one. Or purchase the machinery and raw materials and start making your own.

Yes, I pay market value + taxes, just like everyone else. The reason gas is expensive is mostly because it is so heavily taxed, not because the "evil oil companies" are out to get you. If the government would stop messing with the free market gas prices would be a fraction of what they are now. Did you know an oil company only makes about $0.08 in profit on a gallon of gasoline?

2. Hank0331

Hank0331 Loaded Pockets

I'm pretty sure I've made it clear that I won't be purchasing one.

They're not out to get me, just my money. While I have no doubt that the big G is making a killing off fuel taxes, not to mention state and locals, that is not the whole story. Federal tax of around $.20, the highest state tax of around $.52, unless local taxes are pushing $1.50 I have a difficult time believing (and finding) that profit margins on gas are that slim. Seems like they'd get out of that business if profits were so meager.

Sorry for wandering off topic.

3. carrot

carrot Loaded Pockets

I think it will be a very good fidget toy and a fun, more legal (and safer!) alternative to flipping balisongs. Typically Spyderco products sell online about 20-30% less than MSRP, and $50 seems like a pretty good price for a 100% USA-made pen from my favorite knife company.

4. StSumwhere

StSumwhere Loaded Pockets

Last edited by StSumwhere, Oct 21, 2013
  5. aspera

aspera Empty Pockets

How about a spring loaded Out-The-Front model? (power telescopic)

6. StSumwhere

StSumwhere Loaded Pockets

Last edited by StSumwhere, Oct 21, 2013
  7. David.s

David.s Loaded Pockets

I think it looks really cool, but i wouldnt even pay $70(which is £35 ish where im from.) for a normal pen never mind one that i dont think would be that good to write with.
    yes it looks like a cool fun little gadget but i dont think even the fact it is made in USA justifies the price. SO for me i will wait a good few years till they hopefully come down in price.

8. rossmeister

rossmeister Empty Pockets

I agree with many of the replies. If the BaliYo pen holds true to typical Spyderco mentality: totally non-conformist in design and EXPENSIVE! I've seen the prices on some of their knives and lemme tell ya, even products made by Cold Steel and Benchmade are cheap in comparison.

If the pen is reasonaly priced, I won't mind owning one or two. It definitely will be a conversation starter....but only if the price is right.

But that's just me.

9. carrot

carrot Loaded Pockets

rossmeister, I'll call you on that! Spyderco's prices are very much in line with the other prominent knife manufacturers (Benchmade and Kershaw), for the materials, F&F and country of origin. I don't know how you are selecting models for comparison but I have a few models to recommend you compare:
    Delica vs. 556 Mini-Grip ($50 vs. $56)
    Endura vs. 551 Griptilian ($53 vs. $62)
    Military vs. 710 ($125 vs. $114)

I'm not at all familiar with Cold Steel folders besides the Xytel Ti-lite but for the price of that, I'd rather have the Endura.

I'll agree with you on non-conformist design -- that's what I think distinguishes Spyderco from the rest; releasing knives that may be called "ugly" but are solid performers through and through.

10. sojiro

sojiro Empty Pockets

Add me to the list of people disappointed by the ridiculous price. For $70 (or less street price) I'd rather put the money towards a REAL balisong, and then wait for the baliyo knockoffs to become available for $10. There are many pens worth $70 and lots of knives worth $70, but $70 is a ridiculous price for a pen disguised as a knife.

I agree with the person who said (paraphrasing) if I'm gonna pay $70 for a Spyderco, it won't be for a silly pen.

Very disappointed in this pricing. Hey Spyderco, are you listening?

11. Sgt. LED

Sgt. LED Empty Pockets

12. KeyGrip

KeyGrip Loaded Pockets

Well, they're for sale. And I'm sure you'll all be happy to know it's MSRP is $39.95. w00t

13. willofgod

willofgod Empty Pockets

A shame... they look pretty lame.

14. lmbc2

lmbc2 Loaded Pockets

Seems like a fairly good concept, but the pen looks plasticy and the handles seem to serve no useful purpose other than allowing for "creative motion" as they put it. Make it out of metal or something that looks similar and make the handles actually do something - maybe have the pen be very short/compact and then have the handles form the pen handle so it is normal sized when extended. Add on latches and a pocket clip and then I would be interested. (Basically like a slimmed down benchmade 32 morpho but with a pen instead of a blade)

15. carrot

carrot Loaded Pockets

What else is the pen supposed to do! It writes! And you can flip it!

To me, that's plenty reason to order. So I'm hopping up and down in anticipation, because I ordered mine yesterday!

16. BoxANT

BoxANT Empty Pockets

Can't wait for mine to arrive :highfive:

Had to geta RWB, but will be ordering a gray soon. Such an awesome idea from Spyderco, can practice by bali without being looked at oddly. Well, will still be looked at oddly, but at least the cops wont get called. :p

17. quattrokid73

quattrokid73 Loaded Pockets

I just ordered one for $35 off of the Baliyo website. RWB in color. I think it's great because here is an everyday object that is made better and different. How many of you twirl pens, or  play with them at all while using them? I'm guessing virtually all of us. What Spyderco has done is capitalize on that and bring some of their knife knowledge (Balisongs) into play.

The Baliyo uses the Fischer space pen insert and has a twist mechanism to expose the tip. This means there is no cap to lose (something that all of should agree on). You know construction will be top notch, considering all Spyderco products are made well. It's made in the USA, and they've even included such nice touches as wire clips.

When closed the wings serve for better grip. A thicker pen is an easier pen to grip, especially for older hands.

Although I honestly don't know how much these will sell to the general public, It's a good product.

18. georgemaggos

georgemaggos Empty Pockets

Re: YUS100 - BaliYo By Spyderco ~ *Red White & Blue* ~

I got mine & love it :D O0 Spyderco, it is a lot of fun :highfive: ​

[img width=640 height=452]http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l158/georgemaggos/BaliYo/IMG_0713a.jpg[/img]

[img width=458 height=640]http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l158/georgemaggos/BaliYo/IMG_0696a.jpg[/img]

[img width=640 height=580]http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l158/georgemaggos/BaliYo/IMG_0692a.jpg[/img]

[img width=640 height=480]http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l158/georgemaggos/BaliYo/IMG_0698a.jpg[/img]

[img width=640 height=430]http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l158/georgemaggos/BaliYo/IMG_0681a.jpg[/img]

[img width=640 height=342]http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l158/georgemaggos/BaliYo/IMG_0706a.jpg[/img]

[img width=640 height=295]http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l158/georgemaggos/BaliYo/IMG_0704a.jpg[/img]

[img width=555 height=640]http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l158/georgemaggos/BaliYo/IMG_0709a.jpg[/img]

~George

19. lmbc2

lmbc2 Loaded Pockets

Re: YUS100 - BaliYo By Spyderco ~ *Red White & Blue* ~

Looks better up close than I thought it would How does it feel? Is it pretty solid and weighty or what?

20. BoxANT

BoxANT Empty Pockets

Got mine and I am also loving it :smitten: I can't put it down :D