1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Spyderco Balance

Discussion in 'Knives' started by Nim, Nov 21, 2011.

1. Nim

Nim Loaded Pockets

Hey guys,

I've been lusting after one of these for a while, and with Xmas on it's way I might be able to justify a present to my self. I was just wondering what peoples thoughts on this knife were.

I'm after something small, small enough to put on my key ring (just a car key and fob on the ring at the moment). Does anyone know if the balance will in fact be small enough to pull that off?

The allure of the Balance is that I'm only going to be able to carry a very small knife with the laws here, and it seams to be a very high quality (and sexy) knife, I could get a ladybug to do the same job, but the Balance with the CF handles etc. is somewhat classier. And I think it will have better ergos with the finger recess in the blade as well.

The drawback is the huge cost, I could almost get a leafstorm or some other S30V knife for the money, however anything like that would mostly live in a draw. Or I could get a much cheaper keyring knife, and spend the money on something else, money is tight.

Thoughts?

2. Dasein420

Dasein420 Empty Pockets

I love the design and ergos of the balance and seriously thought about picking one up. In the end the price was just too much for the knife. I bought a zt 0350 and a spiderco kiwi instead. But on the other hand the balance is an awesome looking knife and I would love to have one. Since you said money is tight I think for what you need and can have (keychain knife) that you would be better served with a more budget friendly knife. Maybe pick up a dragonfly or a kiwi and go with it. Or maybe even a small sak or leatherman for your key chain. Let us know what you decide on.

Sent from my Desire HD u Tapatalk

3. mightywombat

mightywombat Loaded Pockets

Honestly, unless you are a collector or are buying a knife that you are going to stake your life on I would not spend that much on a knife. If you are just going to use it for day to day tasks then a basic SAK should be more than sufficient to your needs. Get one of those at WalMart and save your money for something more important.

4. GEC

GEC Loaded Pockets

I agree for the money you put out for the balance you could pick up a Dragonfly or a even a lady bug. I know I was looking into getting small hookbill for my keychain.

5. Garland

Garland Loaded Pockets

I have a CF Balance and have a bit of buyer's remorse. It is a very cool knife but is very, very small. I think the idea of using it on a key chain is a good one-I have been afraid to carry mine using the pocket clip for fear of it popping out of my pocket when I sit down.

6. Nim

Nim Loaded Pockets

There is the non CF version now too, but it's not really much cheaper and it looks a lot less stylish.

Does anyone know how much the Spyderco CF scales scratch up?

Edit* I do already have a very small SAK on my other keys, I'm after a slightly more substantial blade than that, and one that is easier on the hands to open and close (I have arthritic fingers), there is a chance I'll decide it's not worth the extra weight and go back to just the SAK.

I'm talking my self out of it a little, but on the other hand, it's just so pretty!

Edit 2* I see a lot of dragonfly suggestions, I have wanted one of those for a while, and keep hoping they will add colored FRN versions so I can keep going with a blue theme I have going, but surely it would be too big for my key ring.

7. A3C86

A3C86 Loaded Pockets

Hello ,

I was like everyone . When the CF came out I really really liked the design, however, it was way out of my price range. So I figured that I would wait for the infamous SS model.....Well the SS model came out and the price was still very Steep. Long Story short I pulled the Trigger on the CF and I really enjoy"ed" have it clipped to my pocket. It was very Ergonomic and stylish for such a small knife. BUT one afternoon I was watching TV on the Couch and when I got up all I heard was SNAP! The Clip broke with very little effort this was back in August. Another Long Story Short I'm still waiting for the replacement clip :( (Spyderco Says there on Back Order).

[​IMG]

And Like you I did try to talk myself out of it, but it was just a Sharp looking knife.

And Yes, I would still recommend this knife to everyone

Oh and as for the Dragonfly they are amazing, the first knife that brought my attention to Spyderco and is still one of my favorites. But its certainly not a keychain knife in my opinion.

Good Luck In Your decision.
    Anthony

8. Nim

Nim Loaded Pockets

So I wandered into a local store to handle some of the keychain options to help with the dithering, and actually amazingly found something good. I picked up a Byrd Finch, which is much like a ladybug but with dragonfly esq choils. I had been considering the ladybug over the balance, but just didn't like the ergos and asthetics of those style spydercos, but this little Byrd knife felt great to my hands.

Also it was half price, so I basically pain nothing for it, since the Byrd knifes aren't pricey anyway.

On the down side it turns out Spyderco scraped the Finch knives because the maker they were using was poo poo and a lot of them had issues, mostly loosing retention very quickly. So I have a solution for now, that was much easier on the wallet, but it might only be a very short term solution.

Perhaps in six months there will be the "looking for a higher quality knife like the Byrd Finch" thread.

9. Mcameron

Mcameron Loaded Pockets

eh, i dunno......doesnt seem overly expensive to me.......and im by no means rollin' in the dough.

its kind of like the differnce between driving a BMW or a honda.......sure, the honda will get you where you need to go.....and will cost less..........but is not up to the quality of a BMW......

same with knives.........sure, a $30 walmart special will more than likely work just fine for most EDC tasks..........but it doesnt feel as well made as a nice spyderco, emerson, benchmade, ect.

hell, half of my EDC knives are over $100.......i had decided that ide much rather have a few nice knives, than a bunch of mediocre knives.........

10. tal-c

tal-c Loaded Pockets

I don't agree with the whole "bmw VS honda" on this one (and on many other so-called hi-end items).

The balance looks like a nice knife, but for a knife between the size of a ladybug and a dragonfly, i expect the price to be somewhere in that range.
    There MIGHT be an excuse for this price for the carbon-fiber version, but the SS version pricing is just wrong.

40$ - 50$ for an frn version is the range I see the balance fit it.
    still, I'm sure some will pay the current price.

11. mikey

mikey Banned

I have a Dragonfly 2 with zdp189 and it is great. I love the size as it is just the right size to take off the clip and carry it in my front pocket. Sometimes I also will clip a Delica to my pocket even though I have the DF2 with me, just because I can, I guess but if I dont take a Delica, then I feel pretty good with just the DF2 and my Rambler on my keys. It is basic minimalistic carry for me!

12. Dekz

Dekz Loaded Pockets

The Spyderco Balance and Lava are both knives that I want quite badly, but refuse to buy because they are overpriced.

I have no problem spending that much money on a knife, but the price for these two is ridiculous for their size and materials.