1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Spyder hole vs. Thumb stud...

Discussion in 'Knives' started by AR15evolution, Jul 11, 2010.

1. AR15evolution

AR15evolution Loaded Pockets

Long story short.....
    Thinking of buying low end spyderco, never owned one.
    Used to thumb studs...
    Any advantages or disadvantages of having one or the other?

2. Simsmac0o

Simsmac0o Loaded Pockets

I would definitely recommend buying a Spyderco. I think you'll find the Spyderhole to be a refreshing change to the thumb stud. Personally, I like the Spyderhole much better, because it's easier to find with your thumb, and gives your thumb a lot more purchase on the blade than a thumbstud does. Which Spyderco model were you thinking about getting?

3. Jerb

Jerb Loaded Pockets

It takes a little getting used to but the spyderhole is a great feature on knives... one of my favorite knives ever was my benchmade minigriptillian with the hole instead of the stud

4. AR15evolution

Thanks for the input. Someone on the forum recommended the Tenacious due to its affordability. I haven't decided yet because a SOG caught my eye as well.... the Aegis.

5. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

You haven't stated what you want to use this knife for yet.

6. zshiner

zshiner Loaded Pockets

In the early days - I thought I would not like the Spyder Hole - but in reality - It makes a knife really easy to open. I carry a Delica on weekends. I agree with Jerb, my favorite EDC Benchmade is the the 555 Mini Grip.

7. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

I have folding knives that feature each of these opening methods individually. The hole likely favors those with larger appendages. The stud may be a bone of contention to those individuals since there may be little surface area on which to land the enormity of the, uhmm, protracted Pillsbury Dough Boy-like mitts of these fine folk. ;-)

Economy in manufacturing labor tips the scales to the Spyderco iteration as it only requires, likely, a single pass with a drill versus that of the thumbstud where machining the threads, applying the Loctite to the studs, and installing it to the blade adds likely another man-hour to the build process and to the final cost of the better product.

I favor one over the other only in terms of aesthetics. The thumbstud is by far the most economical in terms of minimal utilization of blade material; and, by far, the most aesthetic-almost elegant; particularly when the thumbstud itself is carefully crafted and with material such as titanium colored in a contrasting patina as to distinguish it from the blade.

The thumbstud is an obvious afterthought in the design evolution and a significant enhancement to the egalitarian functionality of the modern folding knife. Because of its diminutive proportions, it is merely accustomed, in the better iterations, as an accessory. The Spyderco hole is a revisionist's approach, departing less from the blade shape of the sharpened edge à la that of the selected works of Paul Gauguin from the traditional European painting that he felt had become too imitative and lacking symbolic depth, but more in the realm of Pablo Ruiz Picasso's tangential departure from the status quo as in the Dora Maar au Chat. Need I say more? :-D

8. Rawls

Rawls Loaded Pockets

From a design perspective, the Spyderhole is pretty elegant. Increasing utility by DECREASING both the number of parts and the overall weight of the knife. That is, in my opinion, genius.

As far as working, I like the Spyderhole better than a thumbstud but it does has width to the knife, in almost every case (the Native, and the Goddard sprint runs being notable exceptions).

I would also look at flipper designs. I really, really like some of the flippers out there, like the ZT flipper, Ken Onion Kershaw flippers (Leek, Scallion...), and especially Terry McGinnis's flippers from CRKT. I imagine that the CRKT Ripple flipper (with its IKBS pivot) is awesome.

9. Simsmac0o

Simsmac0o Loaded Pockets

I would definitely suggest the Tenacious. I own the Persistence, the smaller version of the Tenacious, and I love it. It's such a great knife, and seems like it should cost a lot more than it does. Don't let the fact that it's made in China put you off; Spyderco's Chinese knives are a world away from other Chinese made knives. I think you'd be extremely happy with the Tenacious.

:clap: Now there's a creative way to describe a feature on a pocket knife. Very witty. ;D

10. DaPro

DaPro Loaded Pockets

The Persistence and Tenacious have a permanent spot in my EDC rotation.

11. sesshin

sesshin Loaded Pockets

Spyderhole all the way. My broken-in, well-oiled Spydercos are the quickest, easiest, most pleasurably opening knives I own. Like buttah.

12. soulpatch

soulpatch Loaded Pockets

Although I prefer to carry my Sebenza, I really think the Spydie hole is a lot more positive opener myself. I do own two Spydercos, and carry my Lava often for its size and the hole opening. Oh, and if your going to get a Spyderco, spend the couple more bucks for a Dragonfly or Delica, they hold their edge way better.

13. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

Way better than what?

14. AR15evolution

I really want my next knife to be a good quality, all purpose knife that I can carry with me everywhere. I guess after viewing all of your testimonials, the lack of thumb stud doesn't scare me. The native seems to have caught my eye. Hoow are those pointy blades? Has anyone broke a tip?

15. vegassprky
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

vegassprky Loaded Circuits

I have a Native with s30v steel and if you don't use it as a pry tool should have no problem!!!!

16. crossroads

crossroads Empty Pockets

I've always been partial to the hole myself for opening mechanisms, but a stud can work just as well, depending on the design of the knife. No disadvantages to either opening system.

Well, it is theoretically possible to argue that a thumbstud could catch on the edge of the pocket, or that removing steel for an opening hole weakens the overall design, but such things shouldn't bother you at all if you use a pocket knife like a pocket knife and not a crowbar or chopper.

17. AR15evolution

Yeah, I dont plan on breaching doors with the thing. Want something nice, functional, and not to have to worry about babying it cuz I spent too much money on it...

18. carrot

carrot Loaded Pockets

Spyderhole all the way. I own a few really nice thumbstud knives but if I could have a proper Spyderhole on those I'd be ecstatic. Nothing opens more consistently and reliably for me than a Spyderhole.

How "low end" are you looking at for your first Spyderco? As little as $30 will get you a Tenacious or Persistence, and a bit more ($80) will get you one of Spyderco's toughest (Manix 2). There's also a whole slew in between, from the Delica FFG to the Stretch to the Rookie.

19. Simsmac0o

Simsmac0o Loaded Pockets

The Persistence/Tenacious would obviously fit that role because of their price. The Spyderco Delica/Endura or the Native would be a step up from the Tenacious/Persistence, but they cost around $20 more. The Delicas/Enduras have a FFG blade like the Persistence/Tenacious and a superior steel, but their tips are thinner (not necessarily weak, just thinner). The Native doesn't have a FFG blade, but it has the best steel out of the other choices.

Honestly, you can't really go wrong with any of these knives, so just start with the one you like best.

20. jp2515

jp2515 Loaded Pockets

Spyderhole all the way! Have a Delica, Cat, Persistence and Cricket as part of my knife rotation.

However my BM MiniGrip 556 is second place (with the thumbstud) since I can quickly manipulate the locking mechanism to open/close the knife.