1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

springfield xd holster

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by lazybusinessman, May 24, 2011.

1. lazybusinessman

lazybusinessman Loaded Pockets

finally bought my first handgun! a springfield xd 4" .40. now to find a good holster for both open carry and concealed. i only plan on using the open carry one if i go out shooting etc. concealed well...you can figure that one out.

since im new to this anyone have any suggestions? i want something comfortable for both, im not a small guy by any means. price/material is not a huge deal breaker, i just want something decent that wont fall apart right away.

2. LivingUpNorth

LivingUpNorth Loaded Pockets

I have a brown leather pancake holster from Blackhawk! for my XD-45 Tac 5":
    http://www.blackhawk.com/product/3-Slot-Pancake-Leather-Concealment,1148,1418.htm

I like the clean/classy looks of the brown leather. Plus, it rides higher than a normal OWB holster for better concealment. You can wear it straight up-and-down or canted. The 5" barrel on mine protrudes from the bottom of the holster by exactly 1 inch, so you shouldn't have any problems with your 4".

I used to have a Serpa holster, which I loved for its functionality, but it stuck out considerably and was therefore no good for concealed carry.

3. lazybusinessman

awesome thanks for the reply. i was looking at the serpa holster as a possibility. but i do like that pancake one as well. im not going to be carrying concealed for awhile until i get my license (even though i live in az and dont need it) but still want a decent OWB for other activities.

4. IMWILSON
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

IMWILSON EDC Wizard

Take a look at Galco holsters, also you will need a belt made for wearing a holster.
    Most regular belts are to thin to give enough support for a gun and holster. A good gun belt is made thicker and will be in the $50.00 to $70.00 range.

5. dlcrouch

dlcrouch Loaded Pockets

Look at Tucker Gun Leather's Silent Thunder. Leather lined kydex. I use the IWB model for my XD 9 and it's great. But - the right belt makes all the difference.

6. cj797

cj797 Loaded Pockets

I had a XD Sub Compact until recently. I used a Serpa and a Fobus for OWB carry, which wasn't that often. But mainly I carried IWB at about the 4 o'clock position. I went thru many holsters until I came across the SuperTuck. Once I broke it in it was the most comfortable holster I've ever worn IWB. Galco makes a nice one too that is similar (I have one for my Glock 26). Here's the Crossbreed SuperTuck website http://www.crossbreedholsters.com/IWB/tabid/56/CategoryID/1/List/0/Level/1/ProductID/1/Default.aspx?SortField=ProductName,ProductName

If you are like most of the people I know (including me) you will find yourself with a whole drawer full of holsters before you find the perfect one that fits your needs. Also, different times of the year means you can wear different holsters as well.

I also agree with getting a good belt, and if you are IWB a lot, you may want to get pants a size larger. It just makes it more comfortable.

Good Luck.

7. chaosmagnet
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • Sponsor - Home Craftsman
    • In Omnia Paratus

chaosmagnet Loaded Pockets

My favorite IWB holster is a Kholster. Check out http://kholster.com/.

My favorite OWB holster is very concealable. It was made for me by http://pjholster.com/. PJ makes IWB holsters as well.

For deep concealment, I use a SmartCarry http://smartcarry.com/.

No affiliation with any of these other than as a customer.

8. lazybusinessman

yeah before i get anything im getting a good belt. i plan on shopping around this weekend for that. thanks for everyones suggestions so far. i like the pjholster one for OWB but looks like they dont make one for my model. bummer.

9. chaosmagnet
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • Sponsor - Home Craftsman
    • In Omnia Paratus

chaosmagnet Loaded Pockets

Email PJ and ask. Worst thing he'll say is "no."

10. lazybusinessman

very true! haha.

11. chavez

chavez Loaded Pockets

One that can do both? That would be the "Dual Carry" by D.M. Bullard. I had a XD-40. Great gun. Currently carry the XD-40 SC in a D.M. Bullard "Dual Carry" IWB or D.M. Bullard "Bodyguard" for OWB. I should be receiving a Tucker Gun Leather "The Answer" IWB holster for a Walther PPS .40 that I plan to carry during the summer.

12. Matthew03

Matthew03 Loaded Pockets

My Springer is not my EDC gun, it lives in my nightstand, but does occasionally see carry. When it does get out the standard carry holster for my XD .40 service model is an El Paso Saddlery Co. Summer Cruiser. The design is a Milt Sparks copy (?), possibly Bruce Nelson (?).

Most holster makers have the same holster in their line up.

I also have been testing a Dale Fricke Zacchaeus trigger guard holster for carrying the XD Mexican Style AIWB.

I have to admit I am growing to appreciate this method of carry when just running to the supermarket or delivering a bill. The Zacchaeus is a Kydex trigger sheath that attaches to your belt with a lanyard and snaps securely over the trigger guard. The lanyard has a dual purpose, it keeps the pistol from sliding down into your waistband and also releases the sheath from the gun when drawn.

While this will not take the place of my leather gear it does see some limited use and I like the design.

13. craneman

craneman Loaded Pockets

I have an XD-40 and use a CompTac holster for IWB tuckable carry. It is very comfortable.

14. QDaddy

QDaddy Loaded Pockets

Bianchi Evader with the Carryloc retention. It's cheap, well made and the gun can't accidentally come out without breaking some serious plastic. Mine is nylon, but they have a leather version. I don't carry IWB, just cover it up with a shirt or jacket.

15. hig789

hig789 Loaded Pockets

I second the Crossbreed super tuck. They have outstanding service. You can check XDTalk.com they have a blem list sale a few times a year where you can get a like new holster for about half the price and no 3-4 week wait.

16. jpcool

jpcool Loaded Pockets

I have an XD .40 4" with the stainless slide and a Sub Compact in 9mm. I use a Don Hume IWB leather holster in about the 3-4 oclock position, a very comfortable affordable option in my opinion. You can buy them for under $30 bucks, well worth it.