1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Specialized EDC Advice Needed

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by Stryker, Sep 11, 2016.

1. Stryker

Stryker Loaded Pockets

I'm planning a trip and need advice on the EDC items that YOU would recommend. 1 day after Thanksgiving my wife and I are flying from Atlanta to LA. We will stay overnight In a Long Beach motel and embark on a 15 day cruise to Hawaii and Ensenada. Considering the prohibition on "normal" EDC items posed by TSA, ship rules, etc., what do YOU recommend I carry with me? Feel free to provide the rationale for carrying the item...

2. Barbourman04

Barbourman04 Loaded Pockets

The better question is what can you carry? A small first aid kit is probably it...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

3. twin63

twin63 Loaded Pockets

At the least, I would probably take a small AAA flashlight. I've never had any issues passing thru security with one when flying and don't see flashlights on the prohibited lists for cruise lines. Even barring a power outage or other unexpected event, it would come in handy navigating unfamiliar, dimly lit areas and also to move around your cabin at night without waking your wife.

4. bpa

bpa Loaded Pockets

You don't need much, lounging on the ship.
    +1 on flashlight, maybe a 9V one from Blocklite
    keyring scissors, e.g., from Gerber or Coghlan's
    Tiny multitool, maybe Nite Ize or Leatherman
    A notebook & pen - good for notes and trading addresses
    Camera of course - one with a long zoom is useful
    If anything goes wrong on the boat (Heaven forbid), EDC won't help much, if at all. Don't fix anything in your stateroom - staff is very good at that.
    If it's a real disaster, use the notebook to keep track of what is happening. It will help the lawyers, and maybe you'll get a publishable story out of it.

5. PragmaticMurphyist

PragmaticMurphyist Loaded Pockets

Hmm... Tricky.

Needs to cover TSA/ship restrictions, lounging around on board, shoreside excursions on unfamiliar turf and (very, very unlikely) major problems.

I'd suggest:
    • Flashlight / headtorch (general EDC, I don't leave home without one)
    • Whistle(s) (attention getter, if separated from party, emergency use)
    • TSA-approved multitool (Leatherman Style PS?) (best we can do under the restrictions)
    • Bandana (general EDC, 101 uses)
    • Duct tape wrapped card (general EDC, 1001 uses!)
    • Cordage (general EDC)
    • Lighter (not jet) (general EDC)
    • First aid kit (shipboard FAKs may be great, shoreside less likely (I'm not very trusting of other people's preparedness!)) Note - include blister plasters (though duct tape is an okay substitute)
    • OTC meds (paracetamol, Imodium, etc)
    • Waterproof / food safe 350 gauge grip-seal bags (rain/waterproofing other items, snack bags, general small item storage, improv chest seal (with duct tape on 3 sides)... 101 uses)
    • USB external battery and cables (top up your phone)
    • RITR notebook and Space Pen (or equivalent) (make notes even during a cloudburst)
    • Small compass (for shore excursions on unfamiliar ground)
    • Clif bars (or equivalent) (snacks, useful if timetables get disrupted)
    • Water bottle (stay hydrated)
    • Pocketable camera (Kodak moments)
    • Sunblock (eat lobsters, don't impersonate them!) ;)
    The inability to add any kind of blade to the list (even a Vic Classic or a Bug!) is really frustrating!

Last edited by PragmaticMurphyist, Sep 12, 2016
  6. Blackheart

Blackheart Loaded Pockets

:rofl:
    Do cruise ships ban small knives? If not, I'd pick up something inexpensive after arriving in L.A. and just gift it to the staff on board when leaving for the flight home.

PragmaticMurphyist likes this.
  7. PragmaticMurphyist

PragmaticMurphyist Loaded Pockets

I did a quick search on "restricted items cruise ships". It may vary from line to line, but it looks like a complete ban on sharps (including long-bladed scissors) and self-defence items.

8. Getahl

Getahl Loaded Pockets

If you feel so inclined to bring a Classic, there are plenty of Walmarts and Targets between Burbank or LAX and the Long Beach harbor. Slip and snip scissors are nice and light, and should be TSA legal.

Can I suggest a big hat? Maybe wide brimmed, or the kind that resemble a mullet (bill or brim in front, and a covering that goes down your neck). OTC meds, especially Dramamine, pepto, and headache stuff.
    Cool, light clothing is a must.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

9. DCBman

DCBman Loaded Pockets

Hint: Medium-Coarse two sided sharpening stone! ;)

Oh, I don't go ANYWHERE without a knife!

Stryker likes this.
  10. DCBman

DCBman Loaded Pockets

PragmaticMurphyist has provided you with a pretty good list. The only things I see missing are:
    • Contractor grade 50 gal. garbage sack (a million and one uses, including as a poncho)
    • A backpack/bag to carry it all in, but a bag large enough to have ample room left over to carry items you acquire on your day excursions. Don't fill it up before you leave the ship each day; leave with only the bare essentials and fill it up along the way.
    The sun is in fact pretty intense in HI. Don't underestimate it; I have a friend who did and ruined his whole two weeks there on the first day! He didn't just get sunburned...he got SCORCHED! So yes, a hat with a brim will serve you well. These are excellent hats for sun exposure...http://www.outdoorresearch.com/en/sombriolet-sun-hat.html

11. Karmakanic

Karmakanic Loaded Pockets

Last time I went on a ship it wasn't long after 9/11 and the terrorist incidents in the UK. A women from the ship's crew asked us if anyone was carrying a knife. Of course, we all owned up and handed them over.

12. DCBman

DCBman Loaded Pockets

Green font and italics work good for that! :D

13. Pima Pants

Pima Pants Loaded Pockets

Padlock and handkerchief for use as an impact weapon. Carried separately, they can go just about anywhere.

Moshe ben David likes this.
  14. DCBman

DCBman Loaded Pockets

So can a 5 iron! :D

"hey, I'm just going to the driving range."

Moshe ben David likes this.
  15. Tallboyjim

Tallboyjim Loaded Pockets

Trousers with zipped pockets.

EDIT - I've found a packable day bag. Folds down to nothing then - boing! 16 litres of practicality!

16. Narcosynthesis

Narcosynthesis Loaded Pockets

I would ask what you normally carry - you know what your normal everyday needs are and how you work around them, so rather than spending time listing alternatives to the items I find useful (and are in many cases going to be completely irrelevant or inefficient in your situation) I would ask what items you feel are most useful to you and we can look into appropriate options to suit...