1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Spare Key Location

Discussion in 'Where, When, & How Do We Carry All This Stuff?' started by TV09, Sep 21, 2010.

1. DrDark

DrDark Loaded Pockets

House key: In a small medicine bottle buried in a flower pot.

2. stm

stm Loaded Pockets

3. rodloos

rodloos Loaded Pockets

Combination lock on the garage door, used to keep spare house keys hidden in the garage, but my kids kept losing their keys and needing to use the spare, never putting it back. Gave up and put electronic digital lock on front door (has multiple codes). Advantage is, if a trusted family member needs access to my house, I can give them the access code over the phone, then just change the combination once I get home. I also keep a spare car key in my desk at work, and my daughter and I each have each other's car keys on our own key rings.

4. TomInOregon

TomInOregon Loaded Pockets

For my car, I have the spare hidden in one of those magnetic key boxes attached to the frame. One of the first things I did when I bought my house was to change the door locks with electronic ones. Now I don't have a house key to worry about. The regular door lock is a number pad and the deadbolt is a fingerprint scanner. It's not only easier for me to get into my house, but quicker as well.

Tom

5. Hebily

Hebily Loaded Pockets

What company makes the fingerprint deadbolt? Do they have household locks that use other biometrics?

6. TomInOregon

TomInOregon Loaded Pockets

We got the Kwikset (Smartkey Smartscan) version. There are also several other companies making them, but they are mostly geared toward commercial users. The Kwikset works well, but is a bit noisy. The convenience far outweighs this for us, though. We don't actually lock the deadbolt often anyway.

Tom

7. mike1031

mike1031 Loaded Pockets

I carry a spare in the wallet, A key safe under my deck, and a magnetic box under the car. If all of those fail, my in-laws are 30 minutes away...

8. karlito

karlito Loaded Pockets

House key hidden in the housing of a pop-up sprinkler. Buried flush with the ground - looks like any other sprinkler head.

9. slider1585

slider1585 Loaded Pockets

key under my truck. and i have 2 sets of key chains. and each has a house key on them

10. AK0001

AK0001 Empty Pockets

Been lurking a long time...finally decided to join up.

I have a key safe for the house located in the yard. One of these here: http://www.masterlock.com/product_de...KeySafes/5401D

I know I'm crazy but I carry two identical sets of keys in my pocket. If I lose a set I have the other. If I lock my keys in the truck, (has never happened) I just pull out the other set. I pay for the peace of mind by carrying the bulk.

11. redbeard2658

redbeard2658 Empty Pockets

Carry a spare key to my Jeep in my wallet. I can't lock myself out of the vehicle so that isn't much of an issue, because the older models had seperate door and ignition keys, and there was no longer a door key with it when I bought it. I'll be damned if I was going to remove a lock and pay a locksmith 50 bucks to cut a key. Since there's never anything of value in the vehicle, and it's a beater, I'm not worried about theft of any sort, so I don't lock the doors. Still, I had 6 spares made when I bought the vehicle. Gave one to mom, sister, wife, a couple of extras for myself at the house, and the one for my wallet. Losing my keys is incredibly rare, since they're usually clipped to a belt loop, but on the off chance I do, I have several ways to get another. Or if someone needs to borrow the vehicle, they already have a key.

12. tower
    • In Omnia Paratus

tower Loaded Pockets

13. 5534

5534 Loaded Pockets

I keep a spare set of house keys buried In the back garden so only I know where they are ( hermetically sealed of course )

14. swnh

swnh Loaded Pockets

My emergency key system is a little more circumspect. Hidden near my back door is a key for one of my sheds. Hidden in that shed is a key for my (detached) garage. Hidden in the garage is my house key.

15. sacramento

sacramento Empty Pockets

Spare house hidden on farmers porch. I don't have a spare truck key tried to get one made, but it seems I have to order on from the manufactur. I think its more money then its worth.

16. brundlefly

brundlefly Loaded Pockets

I have my spare keys hidden under a paving slab on the path to the front door. It's the fourth paving stone from the door, on the left side of the path as you face the house. Please don't tell anyone.

17. mgregg85

mgregg85 Empty Pockets

I live in an apartment complex with covered parking. I keep a spare car key, front door and apartment door key in magnetic hide-a-key box in the roof of the covered parking structure. Its tucked up where no one can see it and its a few spaces away from where I park my car. None of the keys are marked so i'm not too worried about anyone finding it and using it.

18. mayran

mayran Empty Pockets

I keep an extra house key in my (unattached) garage. I have needed to use it on several occasions. Also, I have been out of town and asked a friend to pick up the mail, feed the fish, etc. and forgotten to give them a key, but have been able to direct them to the one in the garage. I don't lock my garage. I figure if somebody wants in, they'll get in. So far, so good.

I don't have a hidden spare for my car. It has the anti-theft chip in it and also has the keyfob built into it so the spare is large and expensive to get an extra. The wife has On Star, so one phone call and we're in.

19. ScottAW

ScottAW Loaded Pockets

We love our lockbox, got it at HD, schlage maybe? Dogs sittin on my lap or I'd go look. Looks just like a realtor box, held down with 4 deck screws. Easy access because I use it often.

20. marsos52

marsos52 Loaded Pockets

my spare key location is my wife...

and my son's spare key location is me..twice now he has locked himself out of his car..ring ring,,hello dad can you........