1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Spare cell phone battery for EDC

Discussion in 'Electronic Devices' started by figtree, Apr 8, 2006.

1. figtree

figtree Empty Pockets

Just curious does any one EDC a second/spare cell battery?

2. idleprocess

idleprocess Empty Pockets

Not on my person. It's contoured just right to slip into a back pocket on most pants, but Bad ThingsTM happen whenever the integrity of a lithium-ion cell is impinged upon... typically involving combustion and/or rapid exothermic self-disassembly.

I keep my spare cellphone batterey in my backpack.

3. echo63

echo63 Loaded Pockets

i used too when i carried a phone that came with two batteries and had a stupidly short talk time, i havent purchased a spare for my new phone yet and probably wont as it has a long talk time

4. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

I replaced the already decent run-time battery on my Sanyo unit with the extended capacity version. I never went back to using the standard pack.

The extra thickess of the extra capacity cell is not real significant and it still fits my phone case.

5. andy

andy Loaded Pockets

I carry a Charge 2 Go emergency/backup charger. I picked it up at Bed, Bath and Beyond.

6. 7k7k99

7k7k99 Loaded Pockets

yes I carry a spare battery for my LGVX5200 in a nylon battery case from greenbatteries.com in my pocket

http://www.greenbatteries.com/nylbatwal.html

if charge2go ever makes an adapter for my particular phone, I will carry one of those, but they say they are several months away from production on that

7. Glock19

Glock19 Loaded Pockets

No, I do have a car charger and use that on the way in and on the way home. Some days I can be on my phone (LG8100) quite a bit but I've only run it down once when I was working a LONG day, 18 hours.

Now, my PDA is another story. I carry 2 spare batteries for my Axim. Only because it's my MP3 player too and some days it gets a lot of use. For normal PDA useage the spare batts aren't needed.

8. theeric

theeric Loaded Pockets

Not only do I carry spare batteries. I carry spare cellphones. On different carriers.
    Treo 650 on Cingular with 2 Seidio 2400mAh extended capacity batteries
    Motorola RAZR v3m on Verizon with standard battery and standard spare
    Nokia 6230b with standard battery and standard spare (I can swap the SIM card from the Treo and put it in the Nokia.)
    I also have a Charge2go AA cellphone battery charger for the Nokia.

I used to have a Motorola i60 on BoostMobile (Nextel) but I let the subscription lapse.
    I may put that back into service as recent construction in my neighborhood has changed my coverage for both Cingular and Verizon.

The hospital one block away is being converted in to condos and apartements. The local cell site was on it's roof. I live in a "historical preservation" part of Jersey City and they haven't put up a replacement yet.

9. bruner

bruner Loaded Pockets

This thing would be absolutely perfect, if only I could get a charging connector for my ipaq hx2415 PDA as well as for my phone...

Does anyone know of a similar idea for PDA's?

Thanks,
    Dan

10. shrap

shrap Loaded Pockets

You might want to look into the Turbo Charge - pretty much the same as a Charge2Go, and they say it's compatible with the VX5200. Sharper Image has them, all adapters included. I've also seen a major battery company sell similar things at Target.

11. enine

enine Loaded Pockets

I used to carry one but ended up washing it :(
    I would swap them once a month to get even use out of each.

12. johnny dollar

johnny dollar Loaded Pockets

if you carry or keep a spare cell phone battery in a go-bag, is there a recommendation on how to maintain that spare battery? top it off by putting it in a charger every X days, or - ? discussing a Lithium Ion battery in this case.

13. Omning

Omning Loaded Pockets

Can't easily swap them on the iPhone :( I do carry a charger in my bag though.

14. phaserrifle

phaserrifle Loaded Pockets

I prefer to carry a portable charger unit (basically, a battery unit which can re-charge the onboard battery) since it is less vulnerable to accidental shorting, and can be used to charge a number of things other than the phone (with my unit, I can recharge anything USB powered, so long as I've got the right adapter/cable)

15. jemhouston

jemhouston Loaded Pockets

I've got a Igohttp://www.igo.com/ to charge my cellphone. Since I can get different tips for it, it will work on more brands. It's slow, but it works.

16. rocketdog

rocketdog Loaded Pockets

I carry a Solio Classic solar charger. Supposedly, it will hold a charge for up to 1 year. I travel a lot and sometimes you just can't find an available electrical outlet in an airport. It has a USB adapter so it can be used to charge other devices as well.

17. tso

tso Loaded Pockets

Much the same except i base myself on AAs so that i can either grab a pack from the nearest store or use rechargeable ones.

18. phaserrifle

phaserrifle Loaded Pockets

I would have done it this way, but could never find a system that would do it, except for my solar charger. but for the solar unit to do it you need the solar battery/charger unit, the AA battery unit, and several cables. at which point, it gets all a bit much for EDC, so it stays as camping/expedition kit.

19. tso

tso Loaded Pockets

While this is not what i am using at present: https://www.dealextreme.com/p/aa-aaa-batteries-usb-charger-67

USB in, USB out, and can take both AA and AAA. This way one can recharge the batteries from anything that can charge via USB.

20. xtrajack

xtrajack Loaded Pockets

I have the Igo unit for my phone. It uses AA batteries, I would like to get a tip for my iPod Touch, I don't even know if it would work with my iPod.