1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Space efficient emergency food.

Discussion in 'Where, When, & How Do We Carry All This Stuff?' started by amacman, Feb 3, 2010.

1. Cryptic

Cryptic Loaded Pockets

There was a pretty involved thread on Usual Suspects about this same item some time ago, and the conclusion (after several medical professionals and military chimed in) was that they are worthless. They don't even inform you of what's in their product- just call it a "Proprietary Blend." Find a bottle of Muscle Milk and a Flintstone's vitamin and save your dollars for products that work.

Google "Russ Bianchi" and tell me you feel confident putting something in your body that this man designed.

2. Tradecraft

Tradecraft Banned

Some options that I use are:

-Peanut butter
    -Almond butter
    -Almonds or other assortment of nuts
    -Honey
    -Beef jerky
    -Tuna fish
    -Dehydrated fruit
    -Oatmeal and/or Cream of wheat

There are others but this would be a good start especially for a BOB.

3. Mister Scribble

Mister Scribble Loaded Pockets

Powdered green veggie juice drinks will give you energy, vitamins, and store well. You'll need a glass of water and a spoon to mix them. Lots of choices: Gary Null's Green Stuff, Barley Grass Juice, even tablets like Sun Chlorella (not really a veggie juice, it's from sea chlorella, a one celled organism with chlorophyll). You can get some of these green drinks in capsule form.

Some people have lived on green juices for a few weeks doing juice fasts. Gets boring maybe but you can do it. But check to see if your digestive system tolerates it. Don't try to take too much at once.

4. mossyoak

mossyoak Loaded Pockets

pink salmon in 4oz foil packs
    honey
    peanut butter
    Clif bars
    summer sausage (i make my own with wild boar or deer or a combination of both)
    beef jerky (i make beef, deer, turkey, trout, and salmon jerky deer and salmon are the two that are probably best for you)

5. Barkley666

Barkley666 Empty Pockets

I EDC a nut and dried fruit mix, it's not salted, comes in a sealed package (waterproof), and can stay in a hot environment. It's very small and it should keep me trough the day.

For my BOB I want to buy some US Army MRE's, but they are hard to find/pricey.

Currently in my BOB (I pack for 72h):
    - 3 days worth of meals in a can with easy opening (don't need a can opener): ravioli, cassoulet and choucroute. I can eat them cold, right out the can, or put the can in the fire to heat things up ( if you do this, be sure to OPEN THE CAN FIRST!, you don't want pressure to build up! ). The empty cans can be used as containers.

The downside? You need a fire to heat them up, they're bulky and heavy compared to MRE's.

- I also pack a plastic jar of 1kg of chocolate paste (5000 kcal !). It's compact, very tasty (keeps up the morale), should give me enough energy to keep me going until I find better food, it's tradable, keeps good for years and is effective as bait. Why not peanut butter? You can't find big jars here, it's 5x the price, it tastes less good and dangerous for people with allergies.

Other things that are great to store at home:
    - tuna
    - sardines (makes a very nice bait)
    - corned beef
    - canned fruit (drink the "juice" they are kept in, don't throw it away!)
    - potato powder
    - canned potato's (already cooked, so you don't need heat or water), they exist under vacuum but
    - rice and pasta (but you need water and heat)
    - all sorts of canned vegetables: in the long end you will have to eat balanced to keep healty!
    - powder milk
    - powder eggs
    - flour and yeast
    - sugar and salt

All things that are very cheap and tastes good! It is important to eat things you like, even when s hit f, you need to keep up the morale!

Be sure to pack the rice, flower, sugar and salt in closed protected jars, you don't want to be surprised by mices!

Prep wisely, think about your environment and don't forget water!
    Don't just put everything nicely on a rack, yeah it looks cool, but is not OK! You need to protect your food against water, air and rodents!

Pack everything in closed plastic boxes (or jars) and seal them with ducktape (you can take out the air with dry ice). The best thing to do is to make week-boxes. So if you need to bug out fast, you can easily grab a box or two and go, And you don't have the surpise you managed to save the box with salt ;) Plus you can always trade a box. Also, you can store the boxes under your bed if space is a problem! It's also very handy if you like to snack in bed watching television! (just joking!).

6. mtwarden

mtwarden Loaded Pockets

older thread, but looking at my pantry recently I realized I had a several days rations that could also be easily moved if need be- what makes it interesting is I wasn't storing these goods for emergencies- simply stocking up on running supplies :)

while I grant you not the most exciting diet, one that should suffice for a couple day emergency at home or on the road

what's there- 4 boxes of Mojo bars (dozen to a box) ~ 200 calories/bar; 4 boxes of shot blocks (18 to a box), 200 calories/pack; box of clif shot gels (need another box) 24 to a box, 100 calories/gel; 8 gatorade cans, 8 single servings/can, 50 calories/serving, hiding behind is a can of Perpetuem 16 servings/can, 300 calories/serving- more than enough to sustain two adults for a few days :D

stuff is very shelf stable, but that's not a big concern as it's replaced regularly :)

[​IMG]

7. whoozle

whoozle Loaded Pockets

Exactly how shelf stable are the energy bars? Because I bought some Clif bars at Mountain Equipment Co-Op and to my surprise, it said they expired 5 months from when I purchased them. Maybe the store was trying to get rid of their older stock...who knows ?

8. mtwarden

mtwarden Loaded Pockets

I've ate bars that were purchased over a year prior, didn't notice any difference- I'm sure there comes a point where they aren't quite as tasty :)

whoozle likes this.
  9. Dan2

Dan2 Loaded Pockets

Wheat flour is very cheap, has a long shelf life if stored dry, and is safe to eat uncooked in an emergency, if mixed with a liquid. Same goes for dried oat meal. Much more calories per gram are contained in sugar, honey and raisins and these also contain carbohydrates like wheat flour.

Most calories per gram are in fats. Vegetable fat and fish fat are much healthier than fat from cheese, milk and dairy butter.

Proteins are also needed, which can be in the form of nuts or peanut butter. Nuts in an emergency ration should be unsalted, because if there is shortage of water, you should be very scarce with salt intake.

Added in the emergency food supply can be combined vitamin and mineral pills and a small vial of salt for cases of salt deficiency. Also added can be dried vegetables.

Dry food supplies should be well protected from moist, insects, rodents etc, and it's packages should be inspected regularly.

These food supplies should in an emergency be added with drinking water to prevent dehydration. Drinking water can be made via destillation, filtration, water purification pills, water filters, etc...

Chemicals in drinking water can be removed via special destillation techniques and/or via filtration with (food grade) active carbon.

In case there is a reasonable possibility of radio active pollution of drinking water in a survival situation, one should use special water purification techniques, mainly based on filtration.

A survival kit that weighs 3 kgs could contain one liter of unopened bottled drinking water from the shop.

Uncooked beans and uncooked rice are cheap, but may give problems, if there is no water, fuel or cooking pot in an emergency. And in a real emergency many things may go wrong, especially if one needs to evacuate from home, or flee from a disaster scene.

Last edited by Dan2, Jul 15, 2012
  10. Dan2

Dan2 Loaded Pockets

I think it is unsafe to eat uncooked flour that contains baking powder or other additives that must be cooked or baked before comsumption.

11. TarHeelBrit
    • In Omnia Paratus

TarHeelBrit Loaded Pockets

Datrex bars and Mountain House FD meals. With a wife who must avoid trans-fats and is also a picky eater I've found MH to be a win on both fronts.

I also squirrel away a few cans of spaghetti & meatballs, mac & beef, ravioli, asst soups and those dried potatoes in pouches.