1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Space blankets anyone?

Discussion in 'First Aid Station' started by Elg, Jan 22, 2014.

1. xdglocker

xdglocker Loaded Pockets

Yep, moisture will make you cold. They are actually supposed to be used when hypothermia is an issue and the need to raise ones core temp is detrimental or to maintain ones core temp in conditions that can pose the danger of lowering ones core temp. Wearing clothes when using these actually will make you cold. Because they don't breath, insulation should be the second layer off the skin when a heat reflective layer is being used in a "survival" situation. They do make great shelters and are great at reflecting heat from a fire too. There are a bunch of other uses too like as a signaling device, rain water collection, water transport and storage, ground cover...... Its great that you tried them out and learned their limitations and strong points, but don't dismiss their effectiveness because you used them in a situation and in a way where they were not intended for.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

2. DB_Cooper

DB_Cooper Loaded Pockets

Got a deal on a lot of 5, I have them stashed in various places. Truck, GHB, EDC pouch etc.

3. Cuester

Cuester Loaded Pockets

I carry the space all-weather emergency blanket and find it's great. Red on one side. Has grommets so you can stake it out into a lean to if needed. rugged/waterproof and reusable. I'm debating buying a couple more just to have. A fantastic product. Highly reccomended

4. herosemblem

herosemblem Loaded Pockets

Chester, is that the brand name? Thanks.

5. Cuester

Cuester Loaded Pockets

If you google that you'll find them but I believe the actual brand name is grabber outdoors. I'd post a link for you but I'm not sure of the linking rules.

SAKplumber and herosemblem like this.
  6. TarHeelBrit
    • In Omnia Paratus

TarHeelBrit Loaded Pockets

Thanks, I googled "Grabber space blanket" and found them right away...They look nice. Much better than the ones I have now.

SAKplumber likes this.
  7. FL Woods Bum
    • In Omnia Paratus

FL Woods Bum Your Grace!

I recently switched to these mylar blankets (pic below) for pocket and small bag carry given their size 82"L x 52"W (packaged @ 2.25" x 3" x .5"). They work well and are inexpensive (under $1.00 when bought in a pack of 24). I keep a 24 pack on my Amazon wish list for when I build out new bags. I like to keep the family (extended family as well) ready for anything.

[​IMG]

I keep the SOL Mylar Blankets with the Survival tips printed on them in my larger bags, vehicles, etc.. They are a bit "sturdier" and larger @ 96"L x 60"W. Someone inserted a pic of them already in this thread, so I won't waste space in this post. They are easy to find pretty much anywhere these days.

Last edited by FL Woods Bum, Feb 16, 2014
  8. charlie fox

charlie fox Loaded Pockets

I carried one a young Scout in the 80's, stopped carrying them in the "enlightened" 90's after being told how useless they were, and started carrying them again in 2001 after seeing their real usefulness after being deployed to several natural disasters - they do maintain body heat and block wind very well. They are loud, but no one seemed to care; they were warm. They do trap moisture, but that can be alleviated by opening them up once in awhile. I carry several in my FAK for shock victims and several in my kits. Lesson learned - practical knowledge beats hearsay every time! ;)

RoadWizard likes this.
  9. graham_s
    • In Omnia Paratus

graham_s Loaded Pockets

I've only really used one successfully as a component of a Mors Kochanski Super Shelter.
    For that they work really well.
    There are far better blankets out there that only take up a little more room.

10. FL Woods Bum
    • In Omnia Paratus

FL Woods Bum Your Grace!

Good morning. Do you have any links to what you are talking about for blankets. I have yet to find one that can fit in my pocket that's not mylar based. I pocket carry one (my post above) and I carry the larger traditional blankets in my bags, FAK, etc.. Always happy to see alternatives.

11. graham_s
    • In Omnia Paratus

graham_s Loaded Pockets

I like the Adventure Medical products.
    Granted they are a little more pricey, but the quality is worlds ahead of the dollar store mylar sheets.
    www dot adventuremedicalkits dot com/survival/shelter.html

bushy.243 likes this.
  12. FL Woods Bum
    • In Omnia Paratus

FL Woods Bum Your Grace!

Yep, those are the ones I keep in my bags, FAK, etc.. I agree they work better than the thinner blankets. Unfortunately they don't make one small enough to fit in your pocket (unless it's the only thing in your pocket and you don't mind a massive bulge). I personally like to have "layers" of protection. I will get separated from my bag at some point and a dollar store mylar blanket that fits in my pocket along with my other kit items is miles ahead of no blanket at all. ;)

13. Hi its me

Hi its me Loaded Pockets

I bought one of the adventure medical kits single person blanket a couple of days ago.