1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Southern Grind Bad Monkey

Discussion in 'Knives' started by Mike Prettyman, May 13, 2014.

1. Mike Prettyman

Mike Prettyman Loaded Pockets

• Hot-linked images removed, Rule #4
    Okay, do any of you own one of these? I have been considering buying one for some time. The company shows videos of just really abusing their products and they SEEM to hold up quite well. In all honesty I'm not a person that will buy many $200+ knives, but this may be one . . .

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Mike P.

2. six1eight

six1eight Loaded Pockets

I think these are good looking knives but way over priced for what you are getting. It's about a $100 knife and you are paying another $100 for the Zac Brown band endorsement. You could get a really nice Spyderco or benchmade for the same price that has better blade steel IMO. You could get a Kershaw that has the same blade steel as this knife for less than half the cost.

Mike Prettyman likes this.
  3. Cujobob

Cujobob Loaded Pockets

I would buy one if it were at the old price (around $180). It's gone up 70$ without much of an improvement.

Don't let other people detract you because of the blade steel, 14C28N is fantastic if it's heat treated properly (not as Kershaw does it). It's a low carbide steel that can take a finer edge than high carbide steels due to it having superior edge stability. Now, I don't know how thin the grind on the Bad Monkey is to know whether they take advantage of that or not, but done well, it's one of the best steels you'll use.

It has titanium liners, not stainless steel, so a good thing there..it has nice carbon fiber/G10 scales and the Emerson opener if you're into that. I'm not sure how I feel about the shape...but I really just didn't get one because of the price, at this point. At around $200, I'd have one for sure.

Mike Prettyman likes this.
  4. SpyderPrepper

SpyderPrepper Loaded Pockets

Just for the record, it is Zac Brown's company, not just an endorsement. The knives are pretty sweet, I really like the GranDaddy knife! (disclaimer: big time Zac Brown fan).

5. Havoc

Havoc Loaded Pockets

I don't own one, but I did get to borrow one to edc for a week. I loved the knife but could never justify buying my own. It's just too much money for the blade materials used. A properly heat treated 14c28n blade will handle your general edc tasks just fine, but its an issue of value not performance. For the price, you can get more value elsewhere.

But if the design really appeals to you I wouldn't hesitate. My only complaint was the price to blade steel used. Everything else was what I would expect from a knife in the $200 range.

6. Cujobob

Cujobob Loaded Pockets

One thing worth mentioning is that Emerson's aren't exactly the highest value in folders, either...so by comparison with that, I think it looks a little better.

7. moorebladz

moorebladz Empty Pockets

I got a bad monkey about a month ago, and I love it. I would say its a little overpriced but the materials are good. The carbon fiber scales are awesome ant titanium liners. The steel is a big downfall to some people but I have many high end knives with s30v s35vn elmax etc.... but this has held up very well!!! Very impressed. I got mine for under $200 from usamadeblade.com with great customer service. About the other things you get with the knife coozie, key chain and paracord bracelet, at least they are great quality also. I was skeptical at first but very pleased I made the purchase.