1. Please update your bookmarks to use https://www.edcforums.com/
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Sources or ideas for a neck carry "box".

Discussion in 'Other Carrying Devices' started by Blackheart, Feb 13, 2017.

1. Blackheart

Blackheart Loaded Pockets

I came to the conclusion the other day that it would be a good idea to add some cash storage to my neck chain. I had in mind something roughly the size of a dog tag and as flat and light as possible. Did a search, seems like this is an unusual want (as usual).

Did run across this outfit: neckbox.com

...but their offerings are on the bulky/heavy side and are pretty expensive.

Anyone have any ideas on how to carry a couple folded bills in something less bulky than the typical "cash stash" cylinder? Difficulty: must be dust/dirt/water proof or at least repellent. Small, slide-top tins would accumulate too much gunk inside, maybe potting the whole thing in epoxy...

I had thought of laminating some folded bills, then punching a hole in the lamination for a chain, but...

Last edited by Blackheart, Feb 13, 2017
    #1 Blackheart, Feb 13, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2017
  2. karlito

karlito Loaded Pockets

Maybe a small heavy duty zip lock bag like those used for fishing licenses but smaller?

sent from your mamma's house

3. Blackheart

I've been through hundreds of little plastic bags. They're okay for organization, but even the heavy duty ones get ratty and fail from wear and tear. I would consider one as a "liner" to something more substantial as waterproofing, though.

I asked, mamma says she's never heard of you. :p

Warrior's Meadow and karlito like this.
  4. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

@Blackheart: Here's a thought. If you look on CountyCom and other sites that carry things for keychains you'll find all sorts of cylinders with screw tops. Original designs I think were for pills, but some of these now are specifically described as a stash for currency. Seems to me if they're small and light enough to dangle on a keychain, they might well work dangling on a neck chain?

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

Warrior's Meadow likes this.
  5. Treya

Treya Loaded Pockets

I did a quick google search for waterproof ID holder. Several options came up, most more suited to using with lanyards

6. earthman

earthman EDC Junkie!!!

How about using a dog tag, wrap the note around it and use a ranger band/inner tube/elastic to cover the whole thing?

A type of box is a nice idea but making it light and secure is going to be tricky, hence why the majority of capsules are round with a screw cap.

7. Blackheart

Oh, I know. I've already got one of those cylinders on my keychain with a $50 rolled up inside. I was hoping for something flatter and less bulky.

8. Blackheart

I hadn't thought of using those search terms... At first glance it looks like mostly big, bulky things though. I'll have to look more thoroughly.

9. Blackheart

'

That's a possibility, so long as I first put the bill(s) in a ziplock baggy or something. Otherwise it would get funky, fast.

SD card! I haven't bought one in a while. Don't SD cards and other tiny memory modules come in a flat, plastic little box? I'll have to rummage through the junk drawer. It would still need to be sealed somehow.

10. Blackheart

I just happened to think... Ya' know what I'm looking for? A men's LOCKET!

[​IMG]

Duh. [slaps forehead]

Easyrunning and Treya like this.
  11. earthman

earthman EDC Junkie!!!

An SD card case is certainly a possibility, attaching it to a necklace of some sort and it staying there over time is probably the biggest challenge, that plastic is probably going to wear big time??

12. Hunter Don

Hunter Don Loaded Pockets

I have maxpedition deluxe passport holder, the normal one is smaller, a lot bigger than what your looking for though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. Blackheart

A followup...

Welp, I gave up on the idea of a neck-carry box or locket. The lockets I found were mostly just too heavy (brass or stainless steel), then there's the waterproofing issue.

Instead, I went back to the conventional cylinder, only as small in diameter as possible and in Ti for the weight (or lack there of) and because it's non-magnetic (my little neck carry light has a magnet in the end that makes other things clump around it). So, for around $12 off evilBay I got this "toothpick holder" from China.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just the right size for a U.S. bill (that's a fifty in the crummy photo), completely non-magnetic (including the split-ring), has an o-ring seal (I added some teflon tape on the threads just to be safe), manufacturer's logo is etched into the top portion, overall nicely made. Came with a little brush for cleaning. Well worth the money. I's happy now.

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions.

Last edited by Blackheart, Mar 9, 2017
    #13 Blackheart, Mar 9, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2017
    Treya and Moshe ben David like this.
  14. JFire

JFire Loaded Pockets

I've always been wary of buying Ti products from China. Why i don't know i buy a ton of chineese made stuff i just figure it'll be garbage and wind up magnetic due to fraud/poor alloy.

I was looking at the Ti knucks to wear as a necklace for non permissive carry environments.

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk

15. Blackheart

I think it helps to find a reputable Chinese manufacturer rather than buying "generic". This one has their own website (in ENGLISH!):

http://www.doingoutdoor.com

16. Moshe ben David

Just be aware that creation of a website and hosting of same is not really a big deal anymore. Just means the manufacturer is at least aware that this is something that will grab a potential customer's attention. Plenty of web savvy folks over that side of the world to create a website easily. Typical manufacturer over there is quite good at doing cost benefits analysis to decide if the expense will drive sales. None of which is absolutely contingent on quality as so many people in US appear to define it!

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

17. TKC

TKC Loaded Pockets

18. Mike Smith

Mike Smith Loaded Pockets

Google this "rogue stash tag". Good luck!

19. chotu

chotu Loaded Pockets

I like the gucci gold neck box

20. Moshe ben David

bling bling

Moshe ben David