1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Source for original valenki

Discussion in 'EDC Clothing' started by Westerdutch, Nov 23, 2015.

1. Westerdutch

Westerdutch Loaded Pockets

When i was studying at university quite a few years back i had a fellow student from the ukraine who had these awesome felt boots to use during winter months called 'valenki'. I spoke with him a little bit about them and they were quite cheap compared to what stuff costs in europe (iirc they were abouts 20-30 euro's a pair at most) and incredibly warm and comfy. Now recently i have been on the lookout online to buy a pair for myself but the prices i have found are around double that! This got me wondering, is this just a case of interwebs tourist-pricing or is it actual inflation and do they seriously cost that much nowadays?

So the big question is; Do we have any members here that live near or in russia that can shine some light on this? I would really like to get me a pair of these and if they actually cost 50-60 euros then ill just have to pay up i guess but im hoping to get em a bit cheaper than that. Just to be clear, im looking for the one-piece grey/brown-ish sheep(?) felt boots.

[​IMG]

Id love to hear from someone 'in the know' ;)

Cobra 6 Actual likes this.
  2. medved

medved Loaded Pockets

Did you check ebay? Some are for $30 plus shipping.

3. Westerdutch

Im usually pretty good at this ebay stuff but i cant find em (well except for some kids sizes)... can you give an example item number?

4. medved

medved Loaded Pockets

Oops, my bad. Those for $30 were kids' size, indeed. Here is adult ones, item # 252179987631

5. Westerdutch

Yup those are the exact ones i found too and they will be around 50-60 euro's after taxes and import! Will order those if i cant find anything cheaper but if i can find any that are under 25 euros (like i recall them costing) then they will be under dutch import limit yaddayadda so will not have to pay 20-30% added taxes ;)

6. medved

medved Loaded Pockets

If you know somebody who speaks Russian, try to buy from russian sites, for example:

russkie-valenki.ru/product/valenki-vysokie-plotnikov-serye/

(put http:// before the string)

Less than $20 for valenki, shipping from 350 rubles (less than $7)

7. Westerdutch

Now that's the kind of pricing i was expecting! Ill try to shoot them an e-mail see if they are willing to play ;) Thx for the tip!

8. kikaida

kikaida Loaded Pockets

Those look like the wool inserts for our air force issued mukluks when I was stationed in South Dakota. I still have a pair of these.

[​IMG]

9. Westerdutch

Yeah they are basically very large one-piece felt socks.... but they are sturdy, so you can actually set em upright and they wont sag in on itself if that makes any sense...

10. Sergey Pe

Sergey Pe Empty Pockets

Hi, I’m Siberian and expert in valenki :)
    Material is thick ‘felt’. Felt, in its turn is made of any kind of wool, usually sheep wool. Primitive valenok is 100% woolen. To avoid fast wear of the sole, a flat or enfolding (‘galosha’) rubber sole is often added.
    Nowadays synthetic materials override wool by all parameters. Better water and air circulation (membrane), better heat control, lower price (thanks to Chinese industry). Valenki have become an outdated folk attribute associated with ‘babooshka’, interesting for fans only. My own experience with valenki was finished in late 1980s.

Local price starts from USD 7 / pair for factory stuff, USD 50 for really good models and rockets up to USD 150 and further for exclusive models with hand-made decoration, built-in GPS etc.
    “Good model” means felt thick enough not to turn apart in a few weeks, appropriate armoring of the foot, correct anatomic shape.
    I’m not much of a merchant, but if you still want that, you’re welcome to return for support.

11. babola

babola Loaded Pockets

Uh, oh...I beg to differ :cool:

Last edited by babola, Mar 18, 2016