1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Source for dog tag engraving, or engraving in general?

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by Blackheart, Jun 13, 2016.

1. Blackheart

Blackheart Loaded Pockets

Your dad might have been pulling your leg regarding the notch (Snopes) or maybe it was used for that purpose but that wasn't the intention.
    Another site says the notch wasn't so much for alignment in the stamping machine as it was for "The Model 70 "Addressograph".

I was, however, confused by the last sentence in that second link: "Today, the notched tag is no longer used by the US government and has been replaced by one tag placed on a short chain, 5.5" long, commonly referred to as the "Toe Tag"."

I think I read somewhere that the second tag on the short chain hung from the longer neck chain with tag so the two tags didn't clank against each other. Dunno'

Last edited by Blackheart, Jun 14, 2016
    Cobra 6 Actual likes this.
  2. WillAdams

WillAdams Loaded Pockets

Interesting about the Addressograph, which makes sense --- the notch thing wouldn't be the first thing Dad had wrong.

When I took Self Aid and Buddy Care when I was in the Air Force, the expectation was that the dog tag on the short chain would be removed from around the neck and placed on the outside of the body bag by the body detail, or medic, or mortuary staff, and the other would stay w/ the body until the corpse was properly removed from the combat area.

3. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

Another approach in terms of how to keep information current is that used by the MedicAlert foundation. Actual tag has a 'file number', brief summary of medical conditions, and a phone number in to the Foundation which is up and running 365/24/7. You simply update your file whenever you need to.

Someone might ask how they ensure that incoming calls for information are legit; a real concern in today's times. Not sure how they handle that; but I'd think it would be no less vulnerable than having that data on a tag worn on your body!

I can tell you that the system works; I wear a tag. Went into a hypoglycemic blackout a few years ago and the EMT were able to get information on my condition and meds by calling in. I swear by this system and wouldn't be without it!

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

Cobra 6 Actual and WillAdams like this.
  4. Blackheart

Even though I don't currently have any medical conditions, I will look into this. Thanks!

*Internet Fist Bump* Been there, done that. Blacked out several times (had my driver's license suspended even though I was never behind the wheel), had every test imaginable (at least once) except for one when a nurse finally asked "Have you ever been tested for hypoglycemia?" Bingo.

5. Moshe ben David

Be aware there are a number of organizations that have on offer some sort of 'medical alert tag'. Often you can see brochures lined up at the prescription counter...

Thing is many of them are relatively new; and are 'for profit'. The grand-daddy, the original, is a not-for-profit. Been around a very very very long time (founded in 1956) and is known to the EMT and first responder community. It is literally the MedicAlert Foundation: www.medicalert.org MODS: I am trusting that under our 'new rules' this website is or will be considered permissible! Please do not block!

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

Cobra 6 Actual and WillAdams like this.
  6. Blackheart

Thanks once again.

It should be noted that, even though Medical Alert is a non-profit, their services do have a cost. Basic service is $25/year and goes up from there. Their 'Advantage" service ($30/year) sounds attractive because they will store your medical records and make them available to whoever needs them (hopefully there's some qualification there). They will also notify your family in the event of a medical emergency.

Their site is somewhat difficult to navigate, wish there was an "overview". For instance, it's not clear to me if one has to purchase one of their medical alert thingies (bracelet, necklace, whatever). How does this work? Are you assigned an account number that a medical professional refers to when calling their 800 number>

We're under new management, so links are now cool. (ALL HAIL OUR NEW EDC OVERLORD ..err Overlady?... SCRIBBY! (scribhneoir))

7. tera tike

tera tike Loaded Pockets

8. Moshe ben David

You are correct that there is an annual subscription fee; I think you can also get a discount with a multi-year subscription.

Let's all have a basic understanding. Not-for-profit does not mean 'free'. It means fees are to cover costs. Personally, at about $25 ~$30 per year, I consider it a bargain. Especially when it becomes a lifesaver, as it did for me.

Yes, you should get either a dog tag necklace or the bracelet. File number and keywords related to any conditions, together with toll free number to call is engraved on back. In an emergency, these wearables are a lot more accessible to a first responder than them having to dig through a wallet or a purse! The items come in a broad range of styles, materials, and costs; and basically are one time charges. Unless your medical condition changes and keywords need to be edited on the wearable...

Yes, your file has an 'account number' that the medical professional/first responder uses when calling in so that the Medic Alert folks can look you up and give the needed info.

When you enroll, there is a website on which you can fill out your profile. It includes fields for such things as emergency contacts, your physician contact(s), medical conditions, meds that you take including dosages, and known allergies.

In addition you will get a wallet card; the back side of the card will, in rather dense print include the medical conditions, meds, and allergies that you enter into your profile. Also names and phone numbers for your doctor(s) and family emergency contacts.

I don't recall if they 'require' you to purchase one of the wearables. From my perspective, if you don't you would be losing out on the real flexibility and utility of the MedicAlert system.

Hope this helps.

Moshe ben David

9. Blackheart

I think their website has a problem. All I get are blank pages using 2 different browsers.

edit: scratch that, blocked at work (used to at least get a page saying a site was blocked)

Last edited by Blackheart, Jun 15, 2016
  10. Blackheart

Thanks for the additional info.

11. Ram Man

Ram Man Loaded Pockets

Not sure how to reply to that newfound information other than "wow". I led too sheltered a life. I am now more informed than I was yesterday!

12. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

Many Wal-mart stores have a self-serve kiosk that has an engraving tool that allows the purchaser to input custom text on the selected tag. I have the chrome version attached to all my luggage.

13. Blackheart

This is good to know. Thanks!

14. Blackheart

Got my tag from dogtagsonline.com. It's black with black silencer. The silicone rubber silencer lasted a few seconds whilst trying to get a stainless split ring through it, then tore (I was expecting this). The text is on the narrow side but it's fairly deep. I can feel it when running a finger over it. The tag will be battered over time by the other metal stuff on the neck chain, so I don't expect the anodizing to hold up for very long. Hopefully the tag will still be easily readable even without the contrast of aluminum text against the black background. We'll see, I'll report back after some time.

Thanks to all for the suggestions.

15. IThinkTooMuch

IThinkTooMuch Loaded Pockets

Late to this discussion, but I've used Tag-Z for some time with decent results. Inexpensive and embossed steel or aluminum is almost impossible to deface to the point of illegibility. The silencers aren't the greatest for staying in place, but they've survived split rings pretty well.

16. ambrdrgn

ambrdrgn Empty Pockets

You could try Boomerang Tags if the one you have doesn't work out. I can't speak to their for-humans, military-style dogtags, but my 8-year-old dog has been wearing the same round, stainless pet tag since she was a puppy and it's still perfectly legible (both back and front) even though it's been banging against her rabies and microchip tags the entire time.

17. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

I have a nephew presently in one of the "stans" that wears his tags purchased from that same Wally Mart kiosk. I suggested transparent heat shrink tubing over the tags to reduce any metal to metal noise.

Cobra 6 Actual and Blackheart like this.
  18. Blackheart

Noted for future reference, thanks.

19. Blackheart

Also added to the list, thank you.

20. Blackheart

A follow up...

Well, I've been wearing the dog tag I got from dogtagsonline.com for nearly 5 months now. The entire time it has been beaten up by my knife, whistle, light, and a usb drive (an experiment). The black anodized finish has held up amazingly well, almost like new. This suggests to me that it must be Type III Hard Anodizing, which I was not expecting considering the low cost.

I would have liked to have posted a pic, but since both sides are filled with info I'd rather not have circulating on the InterWebs, I'd have to blur out so much that the pic would be pretty much useless.

WillAdams likes this.