1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Soup Kitchen duty

Discussion in 'The Breakroom' started by 0dBm, Dec 25, 2019.

1. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

I’ve been outside of US soil during the past 2 years and couldn’t contribute more to my community. I was planing on doing so but I’ve continued to travel within the CONUS.

I was in a small community down South that is home to a major military installation. The homeless shelters are underfunded and the prospect for the budget for the new year looks bleak.

I saw many more homeless vets than previous years. I don’t reside in that community; however, I personally know 3 elected officials. I don’t know if it will help but I’ll contact them after them early next year to offer any help.

It bothers me that these brave men and women have given so much of themselves on the battlefield but our great county cannot take care of them in what appears to be a real dark time in their lives.

I consider the opportunity to serve a hot meal and coffee to these brave souls an honor.

2. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

I volunteered about 10 hours this year to a small but well-organised shelter. Once again I called for a show of hands of those that are vets. This was an even smaller operation than the one that I visited last year, but there are MORE vets there. Disturbing but the venue is in a bigger city.

There were fewer volunteers due to the pandemic.

There was a selfish reason for my choice of venue this year. I was looking for a one of my former troops from a few decades ago. He had fallen on hard times. Turns out he had moved-on and found employment but I still don’t know where he is.

Brought several boxes of K95 face coverings and asked everyone to wear one. The operation was moved outdoors to enhance the physical distancing. I wore a standard surgical mask underneath a full-face 3M respirator.

Food was better, too. A celebrity who asked to not be identified contributed 100 turkeys. It was enough that some were able to take a meal upon leaving the shelter.

I asked several active duty medical personnel to help-out. Kudos to them!

No one with symptoms was allowed in the immediate area. Local civilian medical personnel helped with the screening. Overall it was quiet and uneventful.

3. variable

variable Loaded Pockets

OdBm, congratulations to you sir. You are doing a wonderful thing!
    I have always thought it was wrong of this country to bring these young men and women into the service to serve and protect, and not give them everything they need to be healthy in the service then turn them out without any help to have a decent life after leaving. I am sure most make it, but I'm sure many need and deserve help.

4. medic68

medic68 Loaded Pockets

The yearly Community service I and a couple of partners do at the Holidays is done in honor of Cpl. Peter R. Mills USMC, KIA 8/12/1969, Quang Nam, Republic of South Vietnam, Panel19W/Line 18. Your memory will never fade Brother.

echo victor likes this.