1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Sony Ericsson W810i mini review - short, concise and to the POINT

Discussion in 'Gear Reviews' started by cyberspyder, Dec 2, 2006.

1. cyberspyder

cyberspyder Loaded Pockets

I've decided to upgrade my POS Motorola ROKR with a brand new Sony Ericsson W810i Walkman phone from Rogers. I got a great deal too, paid $149.99, but got a $50 manufacturer's rebate and my $35 activation fee waived since I was a 'longtime customer'. In addition to the 1GB Memory Stick PRO Duo I got with the phone for free, I also get another 4GB *FREE* due to a Sony Ericsson promotion (so if you live in Ontario, go get one!). Anyways, on with the actual review. Here are the specs, straight from Sony's website (for the record, I got the satin black version, but there IS a white version available):

[​IMG]

The package contained various things, including a charger, USB cable, headphones/headset with a fit kit, Disc2Phone software CD, manuals, Memory stick adapter, and last but no least, the W810i.

[​IMG]
    W810i box​

[​IMG]
    W810i​

Opening the box, we can see that the phone is nicely presented, no sticker and misc. crap on top of it. I must applaud Sony for the use of the simple black container, since I like it simple and clean.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As you can see, the phone is quite small. It's total height is a mere 10cm, roughly the height of two and a half Lego Vince Carters. The phone felt extremely solid in my hands and gave me the impression that it'll survive if I tossed it off my roof. The buttons had a great tactile feedback, even though you could barely hear the key being pressed, the button gave a noticecable 'click'. The phone also includes a 2 megapixel camera, that is much better than the one in my old phone. It even picked up a G2 flashlight beam from a dark street, while my old phone would show just the dark street.

On the front of the phone, you have your basic compliment of 12 keys (one for each number), a circle of 4 keys, used for selecting a song in the MP3 player (much like an Ipod click wheel, although it doesn't rotate), and 6 more buttons, used for call functions and entering the MP3 player. On the right side (first side pic), there are three buttons - a roller-type button that is used to control the volume of your call and music, and a camera button used to take pictures or to activate the camera from standby, below it. The left side, however, contains the play/pause button for the Wlkman and the Memory card slot (covered).

Overall, the body had a somewhat smooth/rough finish, like something that isn't totally flat, but not rough. The top features the On/Off button and a IR revciever/transmitter. The bottom contains the jack, in which you can plug the headset and charger into. Notice that you HAVE to use the eadset in order to listen to music/radio, or to go into handsfree mode. HOWEVER, you're free to use any 3.5mm headphones (I thought that the included Sony in-ears were a bit loose, so I used my own Shures).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

got to sleep, will be updating review :D

Brendan

2. iceman

iceman Empty Pockets

Cool Brendan!!! Thanks for the review, I will get that phone on the next paycheck.

3. ppfd

ppfd Loaded Pockets

I've had this phone for a month now. It is simply the best phone I have owned! The features are too many to list as you well know. I researched, and watched this model on EBay for months. Finally Cingular started carrying it and I was the first one at my local store to buy one. I actually "schooled" my sales girl on it! ;D
    You definitely got a better deal than me O0 I got the rebate but no memory cards other than what came with the phone (128 mg)
    Only thing I'm trying to figure out is how to get the speed dial to work.
    The camera is as good as any normal size camera in the same megapixal class. This is one of the main reasons I bought the phone, so I would always have a camera with me!
    Anyone know where to get memory sticks for this phone at a good price?

4. luigi

luigi Loaded Pockets

Quick questions:
    1. What is the runtime of the battery when plying MP3s ?
    2. Can you post an pic taken with the phone camera indoors ?

Thanks for the review!

5. ppfd

ppfd Loaded Pockets

1. not sure I have not tried the MP#
    2. yes I need to download them first! ;D

6. messerjocke2000

messerjocke2000 Loaded Pockets

I got the 810i with my renewal.
    I listen to Netcasts and Audiobooks a lot. 3-4 hours a day.
    The battery holds out about 2-3 Days.
    The screen switches off quickly when not in use which saves alot of power.

Kilian