1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Something Elegant and Powerful, but sub $100

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by David L. Holt, Aug 24, 2013.

1. David L. Holt

David L. Holt Loaded Pockets

So, I'm looking for something a bit more refined looking and less tactical than my D25LC2 Clicky. I'm in a professional environment more and more, and the black just raises eyebrows.

My only requirements are: Single Battery, Multi-mode, More than 150 Lumens on high.

2. VoodooChicken

VoodooChicken Loaded Pockets

Olight S10 Ti is a fantastic light.

david57strat likes this.
  3. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

Heh. Given that a majority of flashlights are, by default, in black, that's going to be a tough order.

4. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

How about a zebra light?

5. EveryDayBeer
    • In Omnia Paratus

EveryDayBeer Loaded Pockets

Not really multi-mode. But it's not black, and has variable brightness thanks to QTC.
    [​IMG]
    Peak Eiger Ultra X in brass. Twisty head with optional momentary switch at the tail. It's very small and runs a tad under $100 even with the added Ti pocket clip.

kye4some, archimedes and rsitter like this.
  6. xbanker
    • Administrator

xbanker Geriatric Admin
    Staff Member

Been in your shoes before I retired. Selecting a light that won't offend the aesthetic sensibilities of non-flashlight-toting co-workers.:oops: Wish I had your choices 10-years ago.

IMO, meeting the refined/less tactical/professional/non-black requirements suggests something in stainless, titanium or aluminum with matte gray anodized finish, AA or AAA battery for the slim form factor (vs. CR123). But 1xAAA won't get you near 150 lumens. Discrete use of knurling, with clean body lines.

Take a look at the ZebraLights in forum store. Aluminum matte gray. Couple of 1xAA versions. Multi-level brightness. Choice of tints. Choice of flood or spot. Straight or angle head. Clip.

JETBeam E3S stainless steel. 1xAA. Two levels: 155 lm high; 23 lm low. Downside: stainless is heavy and light doesn't include a clip.

NCE3S.jpg

Rofis ER12SS. 1xAA. Stainless steel. Two levels. 30 lm low; 110 lm high (less than your spec'd 150 lm, but unless doing side-by-side comparison of two lights, your eye will detect very little difference between 110 and 150 lumens). Same issues as the JETBeam: no clip and heavy. But does have keychain-attachment capability.

rofis_er12ss.png

SAKplumber likes this.
  7. Dale

Dale Loaded Pockets

This should do the job nicely... The one we have turns heads. Maratac Copper CR123
    [​IMG]

david57strat likes this.
  8. Dale

Dale Loaded Pockets

Or this one...it's about the size of a tube of chapstick.
    [​IMG]

9. JHGM

JHGM Dinosaur Supervisor

Has it really come down to having to choose a specific flashlight in order not to offend others???

There aren't even crennelations on that model!

Of course any excuse for a new light is a good one I suppose...

Go with something copper; I think I heard somewhere it's the least offensive metal.

david57strat and Dale like this.
  10. thekapow

thekapow EDC Junkie!!!!!

I carry my Olight i3s or i2 in a professional environment, i have yet to encounter any problems with it beeing black :p, i could undestand it if it was a knife - but a flashlight?

11. reppans

reppans Loaded Pockets

Doesn't meet your single cell requirement, but best light I found for suit/tie environment is the new Foursevens Preon Penlight (or Olight O'Pen). In jacket or shirt breast pocket it's very classy and totally camouflaged - lights clipped to, or resting deep in, dress slacks just don't work well for me and have that mall ninja look. 260 (Zebra-lumens) bright, three mode memory, and very nice broad floody beam.

david57strat, Blerv and CaptCarrot like this.
  12. Theron

Theron Loaded Pockets

I love that pic and light. Gotta get one.
    TKS for posting.

Blade9876 and Dale like this.
  13. Blerv

Blerv Loaded Pockets

I think he's just looking for something more classy. Not a bad thing :).

I would prob go with the copper like from CountyComm/Maratac. Prob would have it modded with a warmer LED.

schlieb likes this.
  14. vinniec5

vinniec5 Loaded Pockets

Zebra light right angle AA in grey just say the right angle is great at lighting keyboards in poweroutages;)

SAKplumber likes this.
  15. david57strat

david57strat EDC Junkie!!!

I have an EagleTac D25LC2 that I EDC, along with nine other lights (I'm a light fanatic, and I use many of the lights, for work). Honestly, I am hard-pressed to find anything truly tactical-looking about this light. Flashlight companies, in recent years, have been building flashlights almost exclusively, in Black, almost as long as LED flashlights have been around. The alternate metals they've been using (copper, stainless, etc.) are simply for "bling". They don't perform any better, and they cost a hell of a lot more - but that's not really the issue, as far as I see it.

On my D25LC2, the lines are smooth, the body is small (compared to a clunky 2-D cell Maglite, for instance). There is no crenelated bezel, to speak of. It's got that dark, titanium coated smooth bezel; no aggressive gnurling, no giant head....it's a very slick-looking, and capable little light - and........well...really low-key, as far as I'm concerned, whether in an office environment, or not. You could literally stick this light inside the breast pocket of a sport coat - albeit somewhat uncomfortably, compared to a penlight. So, unless you've got it attached to the end of a spear, or some sort of firearm, I don't get it. What on Earth is so offensive about a small, Black flashlight??? I mean....are they offended by the eagle head logo, or something?

Are you sure we're talking about the same light, here? Have EagleTac changed their design recently, or something? Your co-workers don't think the D25LC2 clicky is elegant-looking, or office-appropriate/politically correct, for you to carry at the office - simply because it's the color Black??? WHAT? Seriously?

What is probably more, than likely, the case, is that they're envious of your beautiful, tiny, but extremely capable light that outblasts and outperforms their old Mini Mags (or whatever they're carrying), in every aspect imaginable, and they're trying to pressure you into getting something more conventional-looking, like they're carrying.

Even worse - I'll bet they're not even carrying lights, are they? They probably ridicule you, for having one. Guess who will be the first person they will come running to, in droves, the moment a power failure befalls your office?

Now, if you're simply in the mood to purchase a nice new, flashy....blingy light (titanium, stainless, copper..whatever), then that's a whole different thing. I'm a flashaholic. I get it. Really. I wouldn't mind owning another one .......or ten, for that matter; not to please a group of uptight co-workers, but to please my own aesthetic sensibilities, as a collector of nice lights.

Is there anything else that these co-workers are attempting to passive/aggressively dictate you change, in the way of a basic work tool - just to please them? That just borders on the ridiculous, in my humble opinion.

As for a light suggestion, you could try a Foursevens Preon Penlight. It's easily confused for a pen, has a very beautiful finish, with three modes, and a 180 lumen high outut, and comes in multiple, non-Black colors. It's actually a very beautiful little light - but it won't hold a candle to your D25LC2, in terms of raw, floody output.

Never mind....it takes two AAA batteries....back to the drawing board. On the other hand, if you're open to using a two battery light, it actually does look like a nice pen - and may be possibly more............"office-appropriate". I feel your pain...

Good luck.

Last edited by david57strat, Aug 24, 2013
    Jarhead Greasemonkey likes this.
  16. david57strat

+1 on the S10 Ti. I have an S20, but have read great things about the S10, as well. Compact, powerful, great user interface, etc.

17. david57strat

Beautiful light, Dale; but I think the original poster is actually attempting to not turn heads with his new flaslight, since his Black one seems to be causing so much dismay, among his co-workers - unless the goal was actually to get something more distinctive-looking, in which case, this Maratac would definitely do the trick :)

Dale likes this.
  18. david57strat

I want one of these :)

Dale likes this.
  19. Russ Prechtl

Russ Prechtl EDC Junkie!!!!!

I recommend the Zebralight SC52 like XBanker and Dale said. It's my EDC light now and I work a lot in an office too. It's not much bigger than the AA Eneloop that powers it, multi mode selectable, >250 lumens on high, great clip, gray color (office environment acceptable), and <$70 shipped from Jon at the Forum Store!

SAKplumber and Dale like this.
  20. 1jono

1jono Empty Pockets

Have you considered the D25C XM-L2 Titanium?
    Whenever I need a more professional looking light this is what I turn to.