1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Someone persuade me on the Seiko SKX007

Discussion in 'Watches' started by Southpaw, Dec 3, 2013.

1. Southpaw

Southpaw EDC Junkie!!!!!

A few months ago, I posted a thread called persuade me on the Delica. I had so many honest and positive reviews about the Delica that I decided to get it. It did not disappoint!

Now I've been eyeing the 007 for God knows how long now but it has always been on my "I like it but there's something about it that I don't really like but maybe I'll get it later" list.

And to be perfectly honest, I can't put a finger on why I didn't pull the trigger. Maybe it was too common?

But there's something about its functional/toolish aesthetics, subtle yet bold looks that I just gravitate to. I love the black face, 4o clock crown, it's oyster bracelet, the red "diver's" logo. I love it's classic and timeless design AND to me, it's one of the few watches out there that looks good with ANY strap. Rubber, Nylon, Cordura, or Leather.

So for past and current 007 owners, what has your experience been overall? I mainly want to know its durability and accuracy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. twogunmojo

twogunmojo Banned

you are not going to go wrong with any of the seiko monsters..i have a seiko 5 frankenmonster in yellow and i will be buying the solar version as soon as money permits...check out yeomanseiko dot com for some good info...the automatics can be temperamental and it will cost you at least 125.00 dollars for a full service should you decide to get it tuned up but everyone knows that going in and these things have an unbelievable following...unless you plan to wear it as your daily beater you will need to buy a watch winder...

[​IMG]
    seiko by ibescottfree, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    ssc017p by ibescottfree, on Flickr

EXCALIBUR and bluedevil76 like this.
  3. Cprrckwlf

Cprrckwlf Loaded Pockets

SKX007. Great, great watch. I've got mine on 2nd day in a row.
    Looks fantastic. Except for those who find it thick.
    Stock bracelet is about the second most comfortable I own (I've even slept with it on a couple of times). Though, some find it "rattly".
    About the finest watch I own to put on a NATO. If you are into that kind of thing.
    Lume is great, no one argues.
    It's so inexpensive that, at this point even though it doubles and maybe triples up in my collection I don't see myself selling it.
    If you don't like something about it there are plenty of mod parts available.
    All powered by the tried and true 7S26A movement -- same as the Monster. Pretty basic: no hand winding, no hacking. Can take a decent blow behind the protection of the thick bezel, case, and hardlex crystal (a mineral crystal, more shatter resistant, less scratch resistant then sapphire -- some only want sapphire).
    Reports are that it is among the most accurate in a collection, or among the least. An upside-down bell curve there doesn't seem to be a lot in the middle, and it is 100% luck of the draw. I'm told it regulates fairly well, but I've also heard the regulation doesn't always keep. I don't normally wear the same watch more than a day or two in a row, and I don't keep them on winders (see my anti-winder rant in a recent thread) so even 20sec out doesn't bother me all that much.

So not much persuasion either way I'm guessing, but at least you should be a little more informed.

Southpaw, mole and bluedevil76 like this.
  4. Hartigan
    • In Omnia Paratus

Hartigan EDC Junkie!!!

There are so many ways to mod it ;):cool:. I only changed the bezel, but with a little search in watch-related forums there a tons of pics and instructions to do these. I stopped searching cause I know I'm too awkward to disassemble my watch :confused:.

Mine:
    [​IMG]
    Skx 007 mod von Hartigan69 auf Flickr

Fukurai, Ironside, coolhand68 and 4 others like this.
  5. archimedes

archimedes EDC Junkie!!!

The reason I waited so long to get one was the bracelet ... just didn't like it.

Finally saw one on "super sale close out pricing" and couldn't resist ... and ordered a replacement Beads-of-Rice (yobokies) bracelet immediately.

Wow, what an upgrade :eek:

Now, it's actually one of my favorite watches....

6. Soosh

Soosh Loaded Pockets

I loved the stock bracelet. It was like having 100 staples holding my watch on. Water and sweat flowed straight through without having a chance to sit on my skin and irritate it, and it had a really light, liquid feel. I got the Yobokies Super Oyster but switched back after a week because I missed the original rattly Jubilee.

The watch itself is great. It's both timeless and straight outta the 70s at the same time, can be pretty accurate and tough (graded on the appropriate affordable auto curve of course), and it's endlessly customizable. I wish I hadn't sold mine.

bluedevil76, deeker and archimedes like this.
  7. archimedes

archimedes EDC Junkie!!!

Fantastic description ... (lol) !!

8. Sheepdog149

Sheepdog149 Loaded Pockets

I love mine - it's truly a quality timepiece[​IMG]
    SKX007J4 (comes with factory oyster bracelet)

Fukurai and bluedevil76 like this.
  9. Sriracha

Sriracha Loaded Pockets

hmmmm.... now I want one. Lets see more pics!

10. ArnieJB

ArnieJB EDC Junkie!!!

I love my SKX173 which is the same as the 007 except for the markers on on the face.
    [​IMG]

silversixx and bluedevil76 like this.
  11. Southpaw

Southpaw EDC Junkie!!!!!

It's on it's way! And I also ordered a maratac composite strap in black with white stitching, a gray nato mil spec strap, and a super oyster ll bracelet.

Can't wait!!

12. bluedevil76

bluedevil76 Loaded Pockets

post pics when it arrives!

13. karlito
    • +1 Supporter

karlito Loaded Pockets

I have the 173 as well. I prefer the hour markers on it over the 007's. Essentially the same watch. Classic diver styling.

14. Southpaw

Southpaw EDC Junkie!!!!!

I'm soooo in love! Though I feel so dumb for overlooking it for sooo long. It looks so much better in person. Quality fit and finish is top notch.

I immediately replaced the jubilee with a Super Oyster ll, Grey Mil Spec Nato, and a Maratac Composite Strap. What I love about this watch the most is, it looks good on any strap you put on.

I've only had it a few hours so I won't be able to mention its accuracy so we'll give it a few days. I love the weight. Not too heavy not too light and it sits perfectly on my wrist. Love the "no feel" of the super oyster, and I still have to break in the stiff maratac composite strap.

I just can't stop staring at it! Love its timeless design. It's subtle yet bold, and it makes its presence on your wrist. Turning of the bezel is crisp. Overall, I am very happy. I hope it stays accurate and lasts me a long time. Such a multidimensional watch. I can wear it up or down and I can swim with it!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. Southpaw

Southpaw EDC Junkie!!!!!

Some more pics
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. deeker

deeker Loaded Pockets

17. ArnieJB

ArnieJB EDC Junkie!!!

I have that same Maratac composite strap on my SKX009!
    [​IMG]

bluedevil76 likes this.
  18. Southpaw

Southpaw EDC Junkie!!!!!

How do you like the strap??? Is this thing made out of rubber or something? Trying to see if it's water friendly..

bluedevil76 likes this.
  19. Southpaw

Southpaw EDC Junkie!!!!!

Love it!

BigNug45 and bluedevil76 like this.
  20. ArnieJB

ArnieJB EDC Junkie!!!

It's nylon and it breaks in really well. It is a very comfortable strap. I actually have two of them..one with white stitching and one with blue stitching.

bluedevil76 and Southpaw like this.