1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Someone persuade me on the Delica!

Discussion in 'Knives' started by Southpaw, Oct 12, 2013.

1. Southpaw

Southpaw EDC Junkie!!!!!

Ok so here's the deal. Since I began following the philosophy of EDC, there were certain items on my list that I've always wanted, but for some weird reason never got around to pulling the trigger. Well that list is down to one. Some of the items that have been bought and checked off the list are:

-Leatherman PS4
    -Spyderco PM2
    -Ontario Rat 2
    -Spyderco Chaparral

And there's ones more on the list: Delica 4.

Yes we all know it's light weight, great locking mechanism, vg-10 steel, thin, ergonomic, sharp as a laser, and it's affordable.

I think the reason why I haven't pulled the trigger yet is, the frn. I have no experience with it and It just doesn't seem strong to me, like it won't hold up. EDC to me is general cutting but what if there's a time where I would need to use it for something heavier? Will it hold up? Idk maybe I'm just being picky.

So to those with experience on the Delica, tell me why I should or shouldn't get it. The pros and the cons as well.

2. J_C
    • In Omnia Paratus

J_C Loaded Pockets

Mine seems sturdy enough, but then I just use knives for cutting things. What exactly were you thinking about doing with your that would break the handles?

3. Southpaw

Southpaw EDC Junkie!!!!!

I think I'm asking too much of the darn thing. General edc tasks like opening packages, boxes, food prep, and the occasional zip tie.

But I guess i'd like for it to be my overall beater knife. When a knife is needed, I want it to perform.

4. stax
    • In Omnia Paratus

stax Loaded Pockets

FRN is plenty strong, within its weight class. Most complaints seem to focus on the plastic feel. I wouldn't worry about strength.

Southpaw likes this.
  5. shrap

shrap Loaded Pockets

If you have a Para2 and a Chaparral, why are you still interested in the Delica?

I have a Para 2, Caly 3 and a Delica 4. I almost never carry the Delica. It's size and feel puts it in-between the other two knives, and at a lower price point.

(You should get a Salt 1 SE for when you need a rustproof knife instead)

6. Southpaw

Southpaw EDC Junkie!!!!!

The list I have above I have owned them at one point or another. I have fairly small hands and the handle of the para2 was too big. Didn't like the Chaparral's ergonomics.

7. shrap

shrap Loaded Pockets

Ok. The Delica is a knife that grows on you, but doesn't quite impress out of the box like other knives in its category.

The FRN feels cheap until you realize there is more thought put into it than most other knives at a much higher price. The lockback works fine but I would hardly consider it amazing especially compared to the Axis. The small price difference between the saber grind and the flat grind is worth it (and you get your choice of interesting colors).

Unless you are already breaking knives, the Delica will be fine. FRN is plenty strong.

a35335 and stax like this.
  8. Swatsonia

Swatsonia Loaded Pockets

Unless you repeatedly drop the knife from over 4ft (like I have with my 5.11 knives which have FRN scales), there's nothing to worry about. A minor crack or two, if you bash it about, but it's definitely not a downside.

9. stax
    • In Omnia Paratus

stax Loaded Pockets

You've had a Delica crack on you? Four feet? I think the Delica would survive a much higher fall.

wings400 likes this.
  10. Svarotslav

Svarotslav Loaded Pockets

i picked one up a while back. my first impression is that it was too light and the handles seemed cheap. I was coming from a byrd with stainless steel scales though. I've taken it apart a few times and have also messed around with it a lot. I have to say if it a jolly good knife. whilst the scales feel cheap, they are tough - I took a different knife to one of them and it barely marked it.

11. Hartigan
    • In Omnia Paratus

Hartigan EDC Junkie!!!

Have my Delica about a year or longer and it's still in my rotation. Yes it feels a little bit cheap, but it's tough and the ergonomic couldn't be better for me. Think it's one of the most successfull knifes from Spyderco. So why not try it out ;) ???

whoozle, stax, SAKplumber and 3 others like this.
  12. mister_fox

mister_fox Loaded Pockets

I have the delicia 4 with stainless handles so cant comment on the frn. But my general observations about the knife may help, I absolutely love it ergonomics are brilliant and it fits perfectly in my hand blade shaprens nicely and quality is high. This only really applies to the stainless version but the heft is lovely you can really feel it in the hand, gives it a very hard wearing air.

Southpaw likes this.
  13. Swatsonia

Swatsonia Loaded Pockets

Unfortunately not, I was merely quoting on the strength of FRN based on previous experiences with it.

stax and Southpaw like this.
  14. antman157

antman157 Loaded Pockets

I own the brown and orange Delica 4 FFG .... They get more pocket time that any of my other knives

Southpaw likes this.
  15. RichinVA

RichinVA Loaded Pockets

Mine is my beater knife. I don't abuse it, but it gets hard use. Can't imagine cracking the scales.......

[​IMG]

jeepsrjason, stax, SAKplumber and 2 others like this.
  16. Southpaw

Southpaw EDC Junkie!!!!!

What an amazing picture!!

SAKplumber likes this.
  17. will m
    • In Omnia Paratus

will m Loaded Pockets

I really didn't like the delica at first. Didn't like the lock back, blade was stiff, handles felt weird, sat too high in my pocket. It sat in the drawer for a few weeks. Then I not to waste a piece of gear and started carrying it. I got the hang of closing it one handed and it was on from there. The thing takes everything. Plastic pallet wrap, strapping, thick cardboard, food, sticks, packaging. I've mashed down nails sticking out of pallets with the handles. The delica takes it all. And it doesn't need that much care. Because I use it for food I'll wash the blade with soap and water, dry it then give it a go over on the sharpmaker about once a week. It's not the pretty or the biggest or the greatest in any one way but it all around it is a great knife.

18. Alwayscarryaknife

Alwayscarryaknife Loaded Pockets

Just buy it, you won't be disappointed. Convinced?

a35335, Joost Heijnen and jeepsrjason like this.
  19. Blerv

Blerv Loaded Pockets

The Delica has about two decades of engineering and real use behind it :). Prior to the Delica4 the FRN models were liner less and still tough as nails, some Delica1's are still trucking despite unsympathetic use.

The current model is quite sophisticated. Nested liners, four-way clip, distill taper VG10 ffg blade. Even the bi-directional patterning offers a TON of grip for a very small/thin knife. What's more if you like it they come I'm about a dozen variations. Colors, steels, sprints, grinds, etc. The Lil Matriarch uses the Delica platform and the Salt1 is a H1 rustproof version of the Delica3 with a slightly different blade grind.

That said, for being extremely efficient in the pocket it can seem a tad small to folks with big hands. Still, for a mid size modern slicer it's extremely tough to beat. For ~$55, almost impossible. I just got the Super Blue sprint for $75...it's terrifyingly sharp :D.

20. Joost Heijnen
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

Joost Heijnen EDC Junkie!!!!!