1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Somebody talk me into big knives

Discussion in 'Knives' started by bleh, Jul 11, 2014.

1. JustinJ
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

JustinJ Loaded Pockets

based on some of the uses you describe... longer folding knife = longer edge lets you split a chicken finger for your son in a single downward chop instead of a long draw or push cut with a shorter blade, longer handle for a more comfortable grip. assuming you use the longer knife the same way you use your shorter ones currently, it will spread the wear/use out over a larger area so you can go longer between sharpenings/stroppings. the longer blade may also allow you to use the folder in your pocket in situations where you previously had to use a specialized/different tool with longer reach.

I don't have any justifications for why I carry the knives i carry other than "a pocket knife comes in handy sometimes, and i like this one." I like longer knives because the longer handles are more comfortable for me and the longer blades work better for kitchen/foodprep tasks (and are more fun for destroying junkmail/other playing with knife for the fun of it tasks). office tasks typically don't need a long blade, but they are more fun, especially if you hum the theme song from "Attack on Titan" or "Sword art online" while doing them.

callforfire, Wydern and T.H.Cone like this.
  2. Joe58

Joe58 Loaded Pockets

For me, it's not do much I need a big knife for my daily tasks. I normally have a small slipjoint, Vic, or small lockback in my pocket. Often time a pocket clipped folder. On those, my preference is not longer that 4" closed.

But sometimes I just enjoy having a stout "muscle" knife clipped on. A Grayman Dua, TSF Beast, DPx HEST. Like that. Those just feel really good in your hand in some days. Lol.

3. AK Adventurer

AK Adventurer Ice, Ice, Tigre

Plus 1, but for me its the Cryo, or the close RAT2 these days...

Farthest I can go so far is 3" blade comfortably, 3.5" borderline. I like the better tip control, better balance, and the shorter the blade, the shorter the handle, so it fits the hand and the pocket better.

And I live in Alaska... I can carry and use a Crocodile Dundee bowie and no-one bats an eye. I have done that in the past, but it got too uncomfortable to carry, and I learned that blade size has verry little to do with useability... I carried a Case Peanut as my only knife for over a year! The rare time where its too small for a task and taking longer to do it carefully, is better than too big to fit into where you need it ;) :cool:

This concept is, I'd bet, IMNSHO, 99% of the reason most guys carry a large blade... they'd never know the difference if the blade itself is 2" shorter, but small handles are too uncomfortable for them.

Yeah, its amazing but sometimes(rarely) this place is actually logical and applicable, and not just a bunch of addiction enabling gear freaks... ;)

:rofl_revamped: :D

4. Sachmo

Sachmo EDC Junkie!!!

I have both, I carry both, often at the same time.
    Sometimes I feel a big knife is too much, sometimes a small slip joint is not enough.
    Carry what is legal, and carry what you like.

KeyeEl and Jarhead Greasemonkey like this.
  5. JHGM

JHGM Dinosaur Supervisor

Summed up my thoughts quite nicely...

Perhaps the perfect edc knife for some would be a folding paring knife...

But that would just look stupid, functional or not.

T.H.Cone, KeyeEl and AK Adventurer like this.
  6. themaindude

themaindude Loaded Pockets

I carry a larger blade. My reasoning is that it provides the most usefulness in a greater number of situations. I have smaller knives that I carry periodically, however smaller knives cannot reach into the bottom of peanut butter jar or cut my apple straight through.

KeyeEl and AK Adventurer like this.
  7. Lou_G

Lou_G Banned

I like knives that are big enough to fit my hands. I have a Cryo as my main EDC knife and it is tiny. I could afford it at $15 from the Kershaw factory sale, but I'll replace it with a ZT 0560BW when I have over $200 to drop on a knife because it fits my hand better. Most people would be better off with a smaller knife than what works for me.

Anything smaller than this is small enough for me:

KeyeEl likes this.
  8. Bravo_Kilo
    • In Omnia Paratus

Bravo_Kilo Loaded Pockets

I kinda went the opposite direction from most people here I guess. I started out with a strict 3" blade policy for my EDC folders. Then on a whim I picked up a larger (for me) folder with a 3.5" blade. It looked and felt huge at first, but man, you'd be surprised how useful that extra length is when doing something as simple as cutting a steak or apple, without having to bury the blade to the pivot. Now, most of my EDC folders are around 3.75". A buddy of mine at work carries a small Sebenza, and every time I see it I can't imagine getting by with something so small. It's not even comfortable to hold, much less open. I usually carry a smaller slipjoint for when situations warrant, but I'm definitely a larger folder convert.

Wydern and Jarhead Greasemonkey like this.
  9. flatblackcapo

flatblackcapo EDC Junkie!!!!!

Honestly, I find the older I get, the more I know about and use knives the smaller and thinner my knives get. On the other hand there is a guy doing a mini Southard mod that is the cat's pajamas! Google " mini Southard knife mod" and you will find info.

brand0n and Tixx like this.
  10. neginfluence04

neginfluence04 Loaded Pockets

I have really big hands and feel clumsy and goofy when handling small knives. On a few occasions when trying to gain leverage on a smaller blade I've had it slip and cut the piss outta me. Since then I've leaned towards knives that fill my palm which tend to be 3.5" - 4.5" in blade length.

11. Adahn

Adahn Loaded Pockets

To me it's same like for many others. Started with bigger folders, around 3.5 in and went down to 2.5 in on my wharncliff bladed SRM 702.
    That's all I need but yeah, most interesting knives are 3 in and more. In the first moment a big knife feels better in the hand but it's heavy and bulky in the pocket so the next one will be smaller and/or slimmer. Now I just ordered the grooved CRKT Swindle, time will tell if it can replace the 702 in my rotation. Oh, "bigger" folders like my SRM M1 (3") with its recurve blade are nice for cutting flowers for the missus :)

12. nicknapp

nicknapp Loaded Pockets

For a long time I carried only large folders. A 5" blade sog and then a 4" blade cold steel. The sog was honestly just cause I thought it was cool. The cold steel however served me very well and I enjoyed the blade length and toughness of the knife. I was working construction at the time and also ran a portable band mill and spent a lot of time outdoors. I used my knife constantly. The extra length gave me more edge to use which means the edge stayed sharp longer. I could also do some mild chopping and prying with it. The extra length and toughness of a large knife was an asset to me. I then went off to attend college. A very small Bible school in rural PA. Nobody had any problem with me carrying a knife (most everyone in the area did), but I would often receive negative comments about the size and aggressive look of my knife. So I saved up some money and bought a benchmade 960. Very handsome knife with a ~3" blade. That knife was my only knife for years until I started building a collection. I now work primarily in an office environment and there are very few tasks that I couldn't completely easily with my cadet or dragonfly. I do however still carry mostly 3-3.5" blades. This is primarily because they feel good in hand (for me, much better than sub 3" blades). Second, there are so many great knife options that I really like in that range. It also gives me more options for those rare occasions when a small knife would make things difficult. Also, I'm really close with everyone I work with, so no one questions when I pull out a knife, in fact they will often ask for it.

Not sure that this is a case for large knives... More of a case to carry knives that you like. If you like small knives, rock on. If you like large knives, there's always this
    [​IMG]

Jarhead Greasemonkey likes this.
  13. mlehto

mlehto Loaded Pockets

I was the same...

Never carried anything bigger than a Delica...

Just got a Para-Military 2 and I am absolutely a fan!

The beauty of the PM2 is that you can choke up on the blade and it doesn't seem that big at all.

nicknapp likes this.
  14. Evil D

Evil D Loaded Pockets

That's a surprise. Aside from being 3.5 inches or so in the blade, it's only about the size of a Delica (about an inch longer than a SAK) when closed. It has excellent handle to blade ratio. It has .5 inch less blade length than a Military, but is a full 1.5 inches shorter when opened. To me it's about as good as it gets as far as size compromise gets.

T.H.Cone likes this.
  15. rat-7

rat-7 Loaded Pockets

Most days I never carry larger then a swiss champ. When in the bush I carry a puukko. When deep in the bush I carry a lappland. Pick the right tool that suits you for the job at hand.

16. astrocreep96
    • In Omnia Paratus

astrocreep96 EDC Junkie

Buy it if you want it. I grew up back packing in Utah - I spent weeks out in the wild with a Benchmade mini grip. I get a chuckle out of the people into "bush crafting" that spend a weekend in a state park and determine you must have a 5" fixed blade to survive (not that there is anything wrong with a knife of that size, but some would insist you can't make do with anything smaller).

I currently have a Strider SMF in my pocket, but some days I will go with a Alox sak. Variety is the spice of life and all.

17. Tixx

Tixx Loaded Pockets

I go smaller as well. I find a Vic Midnight Manager handles almost all my needs. Hmmm....I should listen to myself and sell all those knives that don't get any use. Would free up some major cash.

18. Cheeser
    • In Omnia Paratus

Cheeser Hey Bub!

I edc a leatherman wave and an opinel no. 6 and a Boker Kiridashi as a fixed blade. none of those are big knives. I carry a mora and a large beater knife when hiking or camping, but I have no need for a large belt knife or large folder in the city. Do you? if not don't feel you have to carry one.

19. Liberteer

Liberteer Loaded Pockets

it all comes down to what youre comfortable with. I personally don't like small knives..so I tend to carry larger ones..usually, a large brute, a medium size and maybe a small one but usually the brute and medium sized are good enough. lately, it's been the Boker Dark Hollow as my brute and rotating between the Manix 2, CQC15 and DPX HEST. Like i said, it's all about preference..i prefer bigger/heavier blades but if you don't then thats up to you.

20. Nags

Nags Loaded Pockets

Nothing wrong with only carrying small 3" or less folders. That's what I do. I did have a Southard and i can attest that it carries smaller than its size. I'd go with the Southard as an occasional carry for when I want to change things up.