1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Some thoughts on the Free P4 and the Wave+ (Pre-Purchase)

Discussion in 'MultiTools and Other Pocket Tools' started by Archiver2013, Jun 30, 2019.

?

Am I crazy about the tools on the P4

Poll closed Jul 7, 2019.
  1. Bonkers

20.0%
  2. Not Bonkers

80.0%
  1. Archiver2013

Archiver2013 Empty Pockets

So I am looking for a new multi-tool to replace my OHT as the little liner locks are disappointing me. (The Slotted driver sticks open unless I have another sharp thing to bend back the lock.) And I have been looking at the current Leatherman offerings, Particularly the Free P4 and the Wave+.

The wave looks almost perfect, except for the opening of the secondary tools. I have managed to tear my fingernails off on pretty much anything except for a marshmallow. So I have to keep them cut back behind the end of my fingertips. So opening those would pose a problem and limit how I enjoy the tool.

The Free P4 would seem to solve that, being able to press the tools open, even if it means opening several to get to one. But the tool choice on the P4 doesn't seem to make sense, getting rid of the changeable bit driver only to put in a PH2 and putting slotted driver tips on 4 other slots? A dedicated package opener instead of just using the blade or can opener?

I'm sure what I'm saying has been said by others, but if I'm going to buy anything from the Free series I think a few things could be changed.
    1) Ditch the PH2, Medium Slotted, Package opener and replace with the Wave's Bit Driver and Eyeglass bit
    2) Put the bottle opener back on the can opener or build it into the frame.
    3) Give the awl back its point.
    4) Surely there is space for a larger file now....and take the slotted driver off the end. I think having that smooth portion at the end limits its capacity for tight corners.

Any suggestions for a replacement multitool for my OHT? The Wave seems great, but the little tools will be a pain to open with my s*** fingernails.

Side note. Its good to see that the price for the P4 on the Australian Leatherman store has come down in price a bit. The 70% markup was excessive. Now it's a flat 50% increase after conversion. I actually considered importing the tool myself, and after shipping and taxes, I would still have beaten the price by $90AUD before the price drop. Now I can only beat the price by $48AUD

chaosmagnet likes this.
  2. Reidar Chr. L. Guttormsen

Reidar Chr. L. Guttormsen Loaded Pockets

I'll stick to my supertool ;-)

from my S-A-M-S-U-N-G S9+ via T-A-P-A-T-A-L-K

Chris97, yo mama and Moshe ben David like this.
  3. chaosmagnet
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

chaosmagnet Loaded Pockets

I wish I had better ideas for you @Archiver2013 but my opinion of the P4 is the same as yours. My go-to for on-body carry is a Wave+, and for car or bag carry is a Surge.

yo mama likes this.
  4. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

When the Free series was 'revealed' I thought it interesting. But not interesting enough for me to buy. I have several LM already (a venerable Blast, a Rev, and a ST300; also a couple of Squirts). I don't need another one and as interesting as the new approach on the Free series might be, it just isn't enough to tempt me to buy one just for the sake of having it in my collection.

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

5. Abhi Beckert

Abhi Beckert Empty Pockets

I have a Gerber Center Drive and can access all of the tools without fingernails (the awl is easier with fingernails... but it's the only one where I use it and I can get to it without using them).

It's not a perfect tool (is there any such thing?) but my only real complaint is the included belt pouch. I've ordered a third party one from RAE designs - it's still in the mail so not sure if it's good or not.

6. L_Medu

L_Medu Empty Pockets

I´ll go on with my old Wave. If I lose it I´ll buy a Wave +.

7. yo mama

yo mama Loaded Pockets

I've had the free since release, and there are positives and negatives that are apparent in use. While I much prefer the wave plus, OP has trouble accessing the tools in handle, the free is better with this. They sold the free as one handed access to these tools but if you accept you will still need 2 hands they are easier to access vs the wave.

chaosmagnet likes this.