1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Some self reflection on our EDC behaviors: What are we?

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by microbe, Jun 11, 2013.

?

Some self reflection on our EDC behaviors: What are we?

1. Men with tools

18.0%
  2. Boys with toys

10.2%
  3. Or both

71.9%
  1. willydigger

willydigger Loaded Pockets

I voted boys with toys. If I was just a dude with tools, I wouldn't have the gear that I have. Fortunately I've managed to resist the obsession with flashlight toys.

This site and others like it, enable me to window shop for cool new stuff.

That's not to say these toys don't make me better prepared and don't give me an arguable excuse to buy/wear it. Rarely have I bought something because of it's usefulness without it passing the "WOW that is cool" test.

microbe and emcdannell like this.
  2. thekapow

thekapow EDC Junkie!!!!!

we kinda progress from very small animals as the scouts grow up, so at first you are called "myre" which is the danish word for ants, and then you progress into larger animals as you get older. :bundle-of-joy_throwvertical:

hunter s gatherer likes this.
  3. Sao
    • In Omnia Paratus

Sao Loaded Pockets

Both, some stuff really does have a purpose and gets used a lot, other stuff is more for 'ooo shiny' factor and whilst still useful I could survive happily without, well ok not happily i'd be peed to have to give up the toys but I could get by.

4. scbubba
    • In Omnia Paratus

scbubba Loaded Pockets

Definitely both. I tend towards the tools part but I most definitely have gotten things because of the cool factor or just to have around and toy with. I see a lot of both on the posts all over the forums.

5. JPHing

JPHing Loaded Pockets

"The difference between men and boys is the price of their toys." ~ Doris Rowland :p

Cobra 6 Actual and keith1234 like this.
  6. bayvillageidiot

bayvillageidiot Loaded Pockets

Hey, this **** is essential. You think Post-it-Notes are gonna slice up themselves?
    [​IMG]

7. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

Perspective: one boy's toys are another man's tools.

Cutting edge NVG tech would be a toy for me; it would absolutely be a tool to others.

Cobra 6 Actual likes this.
  8. SponzyParadox

SponzyParadox Loaded Pockets

Ah I see ours varies, the cubs (youngest) use wolf bear then webelos then in scout, tenderfoot, second class, first class, star, life, then eagle. We use eagle for the highest since it is our national bird.

9. J_C
    • In Omnia Paratus

J_C Loaded Pockets

You are aware that there are two genders of humans on the planet? Your poll doesn't allow for that option.

10. swany66675
    • In Omnia Paratus

swany66675 Loaded Pockets

Men with tools 99 percent of what I carry I use daily.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep.

11. MKram

MKram Loaded Pockets

Both. You can EDC a chunk of flint or obsidian that has a sharper edge than some steel, tote around a chunk of smoldering bark and tinder, and fist-sized rocks to throw, but we've discovered engineering and have refined those edges, lights and projectile weapons into things like Hinderers & Spydercos, Surefires & Bic lighters, and 1911's. More reliability, capability and portability. Though it's pretty hard to break a knife.

12. certifiednut

certifiednut Loaded Pockets

I use my edc gear just enough to call them tools, but the reason i carry multiple knives and gadgets is because i am like a kid carrying his toys everywhere. so, i say i am both.

Kuscoot and microbe like this.
  13. UrbanWarrior

UrbanWarrior Loaded Pockets

I voted both.

14. JustinJ
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

JustinJ Loaded Pockets

All of the above and more for me,as follows:
    1. Man with tools - I use my edc knife every day at lunch to slice peel whatever fruit I've brought for dessert at the very least. opening mail/packaging is frequent too. I use embassy pen in meetings to take notes. I use flashlight if I want extra light (drop my keys after dark, knock something into one of the dark recesses of my cubicle or car, etc). I use handkerchief to clean the screen on my iphone, lenses of my glasses, blade of my knife, etc.
    2. Boy with toys - I slice/peel the living daylights out of the fruit because i want an excuse to play with my knife. i open/close knives even when there's no need, just for fun. same with clicking my clicky flashlight, sliding things in and out of my keyport, cap on my embassy pen, etc.
    3. collector with tchotchkes - i windowshop at knifeart, bladeart, and bladehq while I ponder what knife/flashlight/whatever I want next. I already have more knives than I could easily carry on my person (maybe a dozen or so), several flashlights, various Skinths to tote things around in. I love what I have, but i also love getting new stuff!

Cobra 6 Actual likes this.
  15. Here Comes The BOOM

Here Comes The BOOM EDC Junkie!!!!!

I think it starts as tools but progresses (regresses?) to boys with toys for many of us. I mean, just look at how much time we spend researching and fine-tunning our gear, not to mention photographing and even editing so we can show it off on this forum, that must go beyond just plain usefulness, right?

So I voted 'both' because I couldn't choose one over the other.

Haha, I was a baby/puppy wolf (welp for other dutchies) myself for a few years. I'm not sure if we have fully grown wolves too here in scouting though. At some point I got too old for the baby-wolves and I moved to what translates to 'sea-explorers'. But they made us noobs row all the time while the other kids got to use motors or their sails and I was done with that pretty quick, not to mention I wouldn't be seen in one of their Donald Duck costumes at that age, so I quit & went to an actual sailing-school instead on summer holidays.

edit: I just realized I have my baby animals mixed up, lmao. A welp is a baby lion, not a wolf :oops:

Never mind :rolleyes_revamped:

Last edited by Here Comes The BOOM, Jun 21, 2013
    microbe likes this.
  16. Mike R

Mike R Loaded Pockets

I voted both. Being that EDC gear can be deemed useful, convenient, lifesaving, a handy tool, etc., it can be easy to rationalize carrying almost anything. From there it’s only a hop, skip, and a jump to becoming an obsession, collecting, hoarding . . .
    I’ve typically only EDC’d the bare minimum – Vic Classic, small flashlight (currently Fenix EO1), usually another knife that varies by what I’m doing/where I’m going a particular day. They get used fairly regularly so I feel like I’m sane and things are under control. Then I look at the Micro Widgy that’s a recent addition to my keychain, think “What the heck am I ever going to use that for?” and start to wonder.

17. Slipjoint

Slipjoint Loaded Pockets

For some, EDC is a serious thing, for others it's more of a hobby. For me it's a little of both.

18. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips Loaded Pockets

I voted both. They're my tools. I use them. I enjoy using them too much sometimes....

19. Shorttime

Shorttime Loaded Pockets

Both for me, also.

The knife cuts things, the knife gets flicked open and closed when I have nothing else to do.

The Shard opens bottles, turns screws, and makes a nice jingly sound that makes it fun to rap against my keys for passing the time.

The flashlight, pliers, and so on are less for "fiddle factor", but I guess I could spin the prybar between my fingers like a pencil....

microbe likes this.
  20. DavyJ

DavyJ Loaded Pockets

In life, playing teaches us new skills.

That's my story and I'm sticking with it, yer Honor.

JustinJ and hunter s gatherer like this.