1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Some folks just don't get it.

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by xtrajack, Mar 1, 2012.

1. neutrontech
    • In Omnia Paratus

neutrontech Loaded Pockets

This is where I disagree. Personally, I find no reason to carry a second, smaller knife just to appease others, and I won't. I carry a single blade on my person daily. I use that knife for all cutting tasks. For the very rare case where I need a smaller knife, because the larger one isn't practical, I have one in my edc bag. I find it more functional to primarily use a larger blade, with a smaller one as needed; than primarily using a smaller blade, with a larger as needed.

When a cutting tasks presents itself, my only question to myself is "is this knife too big?" Which it almost never is. I'm not going to ask myself "should I use a smaller blade because someone might be offended?" Nine times out of ten, it wouldn't matter anyways because either no one is going to notice, or they would be offended regardless of size.

But that's just me.

2. bowerc

bowerc Loaded Pockets

You may as well just carry a Junglas then. You can make very small, precise cuts with it, and whooping big chops as well.

3. neutrontech
    • In Omnia Paratus

lol Well, I don't go out of my way to carry a huge knife. I prefer to use a knife of a practical size. It's just that whatever my EDC knife for the day is, well that's it. As long as it's not going to damage what I'm cutting, either by being too large or lacking precision, I'll use it for whatever task presents itself.

If a task requires a smaller knife, I have one in my bag.

4. bowerc

bowerc Loaded Pockets

I'm glad you "lol'd" at my comment. I realized it probably sounded a bit harsh. I really did mean it in jest. Obviously a Junglas isn't great to EDC unless you're trekking through the Amazon or something like that. But yes, I too prefer a larger blade. The largest EDC blade I have is probably a Manix2 and I feel like it tackles everything. I typically carry a medium sized SAK, mostly for the other tools, but the blade is friendly and familiar to non-knife people.

5. GADGET982

GADGET982 Loaded Pockets

I've had a few people at work or school say that they don't understand why I carry all of the stuff that I do, but usually when something breaks, I'm the person that they come to for repairs or quick fixes.

mrlysle and Fukurai like this.
  6. BlueTrain

BlueTrain Loaded Pockets

Well, some of these posts were about common sense. The rest sort of wandered but I'm often guilty of that offense.

I realize this is not a "survivalist" forum (or is it?), but sometimes one impression I get is that people start to feel that certain things are indispensible. How did people ever manage without carrying around a telephone? I don't even use the one sitting on my desk. I might be the last person in the office who uses pencils but I don't carry one around with me. My wife sometimes carries water on a walk around the block. There are three or four bottles of water in her car. Hot water at this time of the year.

Someone commented on an old photograph of a city street scene probably in New York. They noticed that no one was carrying a pack or bag. How did they ever manage? They were all walking, too. People still walk, don't they?

I carry a flashlight, although I'm not allowed out after dark. Is the brand name important? The last time I used it was yesterday at home. I was in the attic, which has no light. There are other flashlights at home, plus a drop light, but the one I carry in my EDC bag, described elsewhere, is the only one I can hold in my mouth. So, ultimately, I guess there's some reason for carrying around a lot of stuff. But mostly I am the resident cynic.

xtrajack likes this.
  7. BlueTrain

BlueTrain Loaded Pockets

Be prepared!
    That's the Boy Scout marching song.
    Be prepared!
    If you should meet a Girl Scout that's similiarly inclined;
    Be prepared!

xtrajack likes this.
  8. xtrajack

xtrajack Loaded Pockets

I am not a survivalist per se, but I have been in enough spots where having this, that or something else would have made the experience a little more pleasant or shortened the amount of time that I was in the situation.

whoozle likes this.
  9. neutrontech
    • In Omnia Paratus

Well, I do agree with you that we all seem to make certain things "indispensable". Some of the things I carry are a creature of habit. Your pencil example, for instance: I use my pen a lot. So it's just convenient to carry it with me. Do I need it on a walk around the block? Nope, but I'm so used to carrying it that I just grab it with the rest of my stuff.

I have a core set of items that go with me no matter what, no matter what I'm doing. I don't spend a lot of time each morning trying to figure out what I need for the day. Over time I have developed this core set of items and are the most commonly used regardless of the activity. Sure, sometimes I'm doing something where I won't need any of it, but on average, I use it all. So since I already have all this stuff in my pocket, it doesn't really make sense to stop and pull things out to go on a walk, for example. It goes in the pocket in the morning, and stays until bedtime.

As far as brand names go, no it doesn't matter. However, certain brands have better track records with reliability and performance. So any light, regardless of brand will get the job done, but certain brands are sought after due to reliability. Of course, some of it is pride too.

Can I get through without my EDC? Yup. There are writing utensils wherever I go, usually plenty of light, and almost always a cutting instrument nearby. But having my own, on me all the time, means that I'm not dependent on anyone else. It also means I have the pleasure of using my gear, which has been hand selected to fit my needs and likes. Not an old knife sitting in someone else's desk drawer.

On the water bottle note: I carry a case of water in my car as well. Sure it gets hot, but when out and about it's nice to know I have water handy if needed. One time I had a flat tire, and flat spare, so I had to wait for someone to come get me. It was hot out and we had no drinks. Ever since, I carry water in my trunk. It might be hot, but will still be refreshing if thirsty.

This. All in all, I honestly believe my EDC has less to do with survival and more to do with comfort. The little bit I do carry can make a bad situation much more pleasant.

mrlysle, Gryffin and kertap75 like this.
  10. B_H_

B_H_ Loaded Pockets

i dont believe people should edc anything... why do u need a knife? theres a walmart close by -everywhere- if u need anything in an emergency! :eek:

11. xtrajack

xtrajack Loaded Pockets

Nicely stated, Neutrontech.

12. medic2807

medic2807 Loaded Pockets

What I don't get is, why do people question what is in a bag? Almost everyone carries a bag. And as far as carrying a knife or multitool and getting funny looks, that must be a regional thing. In my neck of the woods, everyone does. I have been questioned a few times why I carry a flashlight. My honest answer is I carried one along with a multitool and knife when I used to work ambulance. There was such utility in it, I started doing it off duty as well. Essentially, I was EDCing before I knew such a thing existed. I remember once when one of our company butt-kissers (who was a horrible medic, I might add) went up the chain of command complaining that some of us were carrying knives. The higher-ups about laughed him out of their office. My whole knowledge of EDC came to light when I got my CCW and was looking at alternatives to holsters. Came across Maxpedition. And here we are.
    Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk

mrlysle likes this.
  13. tinker gnome
    • In Omnia Paratus

tinker gnome Loaded Pockets

nope. Walmart left germany some years ago - it hasn't been a successful business, they said ... :byebye:

And yes - I got your sarcasm :D

B_H_ and Fukurai like this.
  14. xtrajack

xtrajack Loaded Pockets

Like medic2807, said; I was EDCing before it was cool.

SAKplumber likes this.
  15. Mumbojumboo
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Mumbojumboo EDC Junkie!!!!!

EDC'n wasn't invented. It has always been. Leaf to shoo flies. huh, I think I'll take it with.

SAKplumber likes this.
  16. keith1234
    • In Omnia Paratus

keith1234 Loaded Pockets

I thought it was leaf to wipe with, so I'll take it. LOL

SAKplumber and Mumbojumboo like this.
  17. keith1234
    • In Omnia Paratus

keith1234 Loaded Pockets

I agree with you Mumbo EDC has been around a long time the only difference is what's carried by the individual.

18. Gryffin
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gryffin Loaded Pockets

Word.

I know around here we focus on knives and flashlights and multitools and first aid etc. etc. etc., but people have always carried stuff with them. The old-time city streets? Betcha most of the men were wearing jackets, and their pockets contained a watch, a pocket knife, a tobacco product, matches, handkerchief, a wallet, etc.; just because it wasn't in a pack or bag doesn't mean they weren't carrying anything. And you know the average lady's handbag violates the laws of physics, with all the stuff they fit in 'em.

And even bag carry isn't limited to us dedicated EDCers. I work in a corporate headquarters; two-thirds of the employees I see going in and out every day have some sort of bag. The older men usually have their laptop briefcase; the younger ones seem to prefer those Wenger Swiss Army backpacks. But the women carry even MORE: typical load-out seems to be a carry-on sized laptop case on wheels, plus their "lunch bag" on top of the wheel case, and of course, their purse; some carry their work shoes in a separate fourth bag.

Fukurai and keith1234 like this.
  19. Fukurai
    • In Omnia Paratus

Fukurai EDC Junkie!!!!!

That's true. My sister carries even a bigger bag than me :eek::frantic:

20. kd7dvd
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

kd7dvd EDC Junkie!!!!!

There's something about being prepared and capable that people find attractive, but I didn't really think about that until I read this thread and remembered that I was only 12 the first time someone was locked out of their own house and needed help breaking in. Why would they come to me? Who told them I could break into a house? I never had before!

And I can't tell you how many "illegal" phone extensions I wired in the '70s, back before modular plugs, when the phone company owned the entire network up to and including your kitchen phone.

EDC isn't the stuff, it's the mindset that you are going to be prepared and capable to tackle the day. You have it or you don't. Some people who don't can maybe pick it up. The others just keep getting locked out of their own lives :happy:

And some people will look at us being prepared and capable and label us "dangerous." Alas.

whoozle and mrlysle like this.