1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Some folks just don't get it.

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by xtrajack, Mar 1, 2012.

1. chmsam

chmsam Loaded Pockets

"No you can't" is a beautiful phrase sometimes.

mrlysle likes this.
  2. bowerc

bowerc Loaded Pockets

I prefer, "No, I'm sorry, I need it right now." Even if I don't need it, most folks get the picture that they can't use it.

3. keith1234
    • In Omnia Paratus

keith1234 Loaded Pockets

My favorite line is" I don't loan my stuff out so if you need it go buy it or get it ". I've had to use that on someone that thought they were just going to borrow something without asking.

4. Smith28

Smith28 Loaded Pockets

My lady gives me grief sometimes about carrying blades, a torch, a pen etc.

It's hilarious on two levels:

- Most women (including her) carry an endless amount of things in their handbags and see that as somehow more justifiable..
    - She uses my EDC **** all the time! I just grin and hand it over, we both know what I'm thinking so I need not say anything.

5. Beneficial

Beneficial Loaded Pockets

it is a fact that intelligent people have less children than uneducated ignorant folks.

6. kertap75

kertap75 EDC Junkie!!!!!

I would take that "fact" with the same very large grain of salt that I take all the other "facts" that I find online

7. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

Normally, I'd agree.

But he does have an excellent point. Everyday I step out my front door I see numerous examples of how ignorant fools truly do outnumber intelligent folks.

8. Beneficial

Normally I would have to agree...

If you think about it. People who are poor are usually centralized within that zone. Their judgement is impaired by not being able to see over the fence for so long. I've seen women who have 3-5 kids. ALOT of them and i'll tell you that they're usually dumb as a box of rocks when it comes to planning and they're heavily impulsive. "Intelligent" people are focused on a purpose beyond watching the next episode of jersey shore and rolling up cigarettes. The successful people ive come across in real life (again not some net fact statistic stuff) - have usually waited to have children til their 30's because theyre busy doing great stuff. They may tend to have 1 or maybe 2 children later on. Even if the "Stupid" people have only 1 more child than the "intelligent" people - on average we are ******.

TLDR: People who are well rounded have less children but should have more.

9. kertap75

kertap75 EDC Junkie!!!!!

financial success doesn't equal smart. Not all people put material value at the top of the pyramid. "intelligent people have less children then uneducated ignorant folk" is just the kind of elitist :censored: that rich A holes use to justify their behavior to themselves as they look down their nose at the poor people around them. Common sense is lacking fairly equally across all income lvls, all races, all locations, and probably all heights, hair lengths, and eye colors too. Just open your eyes and look around

Vader9900 likes this.
  10. Beneficial

i was poor most of my life kertap. There can be other ideas. Rich people can afford more kids but they dont have as many. WHy is that? There are plenty of intelligent poor people infact my belief is that most rich people that didnt start out being originally poor are usually rather dumb but the facts remain the same. The iq level of the population is slowly diminishing and eventually over time, it will just be normal. People have supplanted alot of their intelligence to computers now so common sense wont be so common. Personally, i find it hard to enjoy good conversation, instead of being abundant, it must be sought.

If you look to recent activities like the destruction of Buddhist museum in the Maldives at the hands of Islamic fundamentalists is one example of tryin to g to wipe out history. Not to mention the burning of the library of Alexandria probably set us back 1,000 years. If knowledge is lost or the majority of the population does not seek knowledge, then there will be a de-evolution of civilization. There have been many death and rebirths of societies, eventually, following this path will create a burnout.

11. RacerX

RacerX Loaded Pockets

Re: Ratio of intelligent folk to unintelligent folk...

Might I suggest the movie "Idiocracy?"

It's a hypothetical look at the future of our planet, with a smattering of comedy tossed in ;)

12. Jakerock

Jakerock Loaded Pockets

LOL. Great response!

13. tal-c

tal-c Loaded Pockets

I like to be prepared as much as most people here, but always carrying around a bag with supplies for 3 (!) days does seems a "bit" too much/heavy/complicated to me.
    Do you carry 3 days clothes in it, or just the usual knife,flashlight, other edc stuff?

Then again, some people give me funny looks for my spyderco ladybug and leatherman squirt on my keychain, so I guess eveything is relative. :)

14. whitehorse67

whitehorse67 Empty Pockets

I would have told her that I have my lucky shrunken head and a ****** detector.

15. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

Not always. If you have the same people at your job constantly asking to borrow your light or your keychain knife, then they are not only unprepared; but they just don't get it. Does it even enter their minds to buy their own light and knife? Since it genuinely is indeed rude to constantly ask the same person to borrow the same item several times each week.

16. Studley

Studley Loaded Pockets

I'm fortunate I work with three people who are EDC friendly and we all carry. Its nice to work with people of similar mind/interest. As much as I would never want a conflict that would require us to remove our firearms, I get a chuckle out of what that person would think if he started something and three people in the shop just drew on him.

17. bowerc

bowerc Loaded Pockets

This is why I generally don't make known the contents of my pockets or bag. I carry a small stapler in my bag and I use it probably 3 times a week. If folks found out about it, I'd be out of staples constantly. While not expensive, it is an inconvenience.

18. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!

Especially so with a SMALL stapler.

19. locknload223

locknload223 Loaded Pockets

Here's how my conversation would have gone down.

Her- "What do you have in your bag?"
    Me-"Can you keep a secret?"
    Her- "Yeah!"
    Me-"So can I."

No need to explain yourself. I get tired of defending my carrying a knife in my pocket and flashlight in my pack.

20. Dan2

Dan2 Loaded Pockets

There are many reasons not to flash a larger knife unnecessarily in a social situation. Because people can feel intimidated by it, etc.

So it is better to have a small multitool to do most of the cutting jobs, even if one would want to carry a larger blade too.

To some people it is hard to explain why you think carrying some emergency gear makes sense as a precaution. One could tell them that EDC is just a personal hobby, like collecting antique or art objects. Then one doesn't have to explain rationally, why one sees the need to carry emergency EDC.

And if you think that some people won't understand or appreciate EDC-equipment, you can consider not telling them about it at all. That can be a reason to keep an EDC-bag small and unobtrusive, by chosing EDC items that are as small as possible and multifunctional.

At the other hand, I don´t believe that the reasons for extensive EDC are always fully rational. It might have also contributing emotional causes in some persons, like obsessive compulsive factors. With that I definitely don´t state that this is the case with all EDC enthousiasts. But this last issue can be better discussed in a separate topic.

bowerc likes this.