1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Some EXTREMELY random Pen/Pencil thoughts

Discussion in 'Pens, Pencils, Notebooks, and Notebook Covers' started by PBJS II, Sep 22, 2015.

1. PBJS II

PBJS II Loaded Pockets

While Fountain Pens catch my eye I have almost no use for one.
    Capped pens leave me cold.
    I'm a clicky guy at heart.
    I got a Zebra F-701 when they were the rage. But I do not care for the Zebra refills I have tried. Also at least in the past I found Fisher refills to be blobby and smeary.
    My most recent favorite refills are Pilot G2.
    But yesterday although I shouldn't have I got a Pentel Energel .7MM pen.
    And it's everything I ever dreamed about in a refill! The pen ain't bad but the refill ROCKS!
    I'm on the phone. Pics later.

2. PBJS II

PBJS II Loaded Pockets

Upon further use and contemplation I think perhaps a .5MM Energel might be better.
    There is NO QUESTION you wrote something with this pen. BOLD Black lines!
    But I would like to try a smaller tip. Also with just a slight opening of the nose of this pen would allow direct swapping with G2 refills.

And on THAT note I'd very much like a G2 Ultra. But I saw Blue and Red and wander if there could possibly be a black G2 Ultra....

3. mercurialpissings

mercurialpissings Loaded Pockets

Last edited by mercurialpissings, Sep 22, 2015
    T.H.Cone and Bad Company like this.
  4. PBJS II

PBJS II Loaded Pockets

I'm way budget is the main reason. But I utterly HATE blobbing and skipping. The .7MM Energel has no problem in THAT area. It just writes such a bold line that little writing like in a logbook is sketchy.
    I suppose I'll end up with something capped someday. For example want to try a Sharpie Pen and it almost HAS to be an SS one!

313 and T.H.Cone like this.
  5. kkay

kkay Uber Prepared

Have you tried the Pentel G2 Limited? I love it. I have the Sharpie pen in fine point. I like it. It is stainless steel. I have not yet found a stainless steel permanent Sharpie though. As far as you being a click person, I love them too. Just so you know, there IS at least one fountain pen that is a clicky. I don't know if it is any good or not. Try that pen your friend gave you, or give it to someone. I ordered that Jotter pen a while back. I am just now getting a shipping notice today. It was supposed to be in stock. Maybe so in CHINA or wherever it is they got it from. In stock here, I don't think so.

6. PBJS II

PBJS II Loaded Pockets

When/if I get a few bucks ahead I'm going to try one of those G2 Limited. I'd like gray or purple.
    While the .7MM Energel is nice, I didn't see any refills at Walmart or Office Max. I'll probably open up the nose just a smidgen to run G2 refills when it goes dry.

T.H.Cone likes this.
  7. kkay

kkay Uber Prepared

I think they are discontinuing the G2 Limited. I might be wrong. I wish they wouldn't because I love that pen. It takes a regular G2 refill. It is a little on the heavier side, but I LIKE THAT. If you want a super light pen, don't buy it. You can get them for 10.99 to 11.99 locally at regular price. Online you may find a better deal. I got my gray one for 3.99 at Wal-Mart. It rang up 10 something, but so I had to send someone to do a price check. Had I known that pen was so good, I would have bought both of them. They only had one other, and now I know why. I think whoever did the prices on that pen made a mistake. They were going to correct it in the computer. Whether that was up, or down, I don't know. I had to wait so long to get the price check, I just wanted to go home. I think the girl got lost looking for it.

T.H.Cone likes this.
  8. Highbinder

Highbinder Loaded Pockets

What's your budget,, The Pilot Vanishing Point (also known as Capless) might be of interest to you. It's not too expensive, come in loads of colours, and the nibs are great. I used to have a Fine nibbed Rhodium trim one. Downsides are they're quite heavy and ink capacity is tiny.

T.H.Cone likes this.
  9. PBJS II

PBJS II Loaded Pockets

Much of what I use a pen for is logbook (with a carbon between pages) gotta press pretty hard to make the copy. I dabbled in FP with some cheap stuff. As little as I use one it was always dry when I tried. No FP thank you.

The Energel body has a metal barrel. A nice grippy clip is one piece screwed or pressed on top. It has a spring under the button so it's up whether the pen is out or retracted. But I can already see the refill life is going to be terrible. I will surely take a drill bit to the nose of the body to run G2 refills.

And I have a plan to get a G2 Limited preferably in Grey.

10. PBJS II

PBJS II Loaded Pockets

Well... I visited Staples. Found .5MM Energel refills. So far it's what the doctor ordered.

More later. Have a run.

11. PBJS II

PBJS II Loaded Pockets

Okay. So Staples also had what I think are their own brand Avant black .5MM Gel for cheap. They seem to be on par with G2 or Pentel gel.

Saved the best for last. They had a grey G2 Limited for less than Wal-Mart.

I guess you know I HAD to have it!

kkay likes this.
  12. Dedrich

Dedrich Loaded Pockets

I got the space-tec Fisher clicky, very pleased with it. $10 dollars-ish so won't break the bank.

kkay likes this.
  13. kkay

kkay Uber Prepared

So what did you think of the G2 Limited? As soon as you try it out, let me know. I LOVE MINE!

14. PBJS II

PBJS II Loaded Pockets

I found that the refill in my plastic G2 was a wee bit better than the one in the Limited. With that one installed it writes like a dream and is so much better than the plastic G2 it ain't funny!

I stopped at a dollar store coming home. Got a pack of Kaizen 3 color pens. A pack of Bazic 4 color pens. And two packs of Zebra Sarasa pens thinking to use the refills in the other pens. But the Zebra pens are gel with fat refills.
    They write surprisingly well.

They may be of a size to fit other pens or maybe not.

kkay likes this.
  15. kkay

kkay Uber Prepared

I thought you would like the G2 Limited. I am glad you thought to switch the refills, before making a decision on it. It does feel, and look much better, to me. I adore mine. I am very happy that you love the pen! I wish they would keep selling that one. It is a goody!

16. PBJS II

PBJS II Loaded Pockets

G2 refills are pretty consistent but not perfect. One .5mm out of a two pack was unusable to me.
    One .7mm is clearly better than another.
    With the Ink that Pentel uses .5mm is the way to go!

17. kkay

kkay Uber Prepared

You mean Pilot? I only have .7mm refills. I have not tried a .5mm refill.

18. PBJS II

PBJS II Loaded Pockets

G2 refills come from .38 up to 1MM. I have one usable .5MM but prefer .7MM

Pentel as near as I can tell are .5MM or .7MM. The .7MM put out a lot of ink! So I prefer .5MM

Clear enough?

19. kkay

kkay Uber Prepared

So you use a Pentel refill in the Pilot G2 Limited? I did a search after reading that, and found the G2 Limited will take several refills besides the G2 by Pilot. I like the 0.7, and may try a 0.5 in the future. I am going to make a list of known refills that will work. But I have been satisfied with G2 refills so far.

20. PBJS II

PBJS II Loaded Pockets

No. I run Pilot G2 .7MM in the Limited.

I'll try to get some pics to show some of what I'm talking about.

The Pentel .5MM has a fragile needle tip like the V5 RT has. Doesn't seem to be QUITE as fragile as the V5 RT. But then I'm trying not to find out for sure!

I tend to carry both the Limited and the Energel. Luck of the draw which one I grab unless I want a particular pen at that moment.