1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Some direction on a compass purchase...

Discussion in 'Other Every Day Carry Items' started by scríbhneoir, Apr 30, 2006.

1. scríbhneoir
    • Administrator

scríbhneoir Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

I am looking at compasses. For years I used a Brunton in the field as we needed to take strike and dip measurements while mapping. Now I'm looking for something smaller. I want to use it for hiking and orienteering, and this new thing I learned about, trekking on horseback. Someone sets a trail, and using map and compass, riders have to find their ways. No GPSs allowed (besides, hubby already has that toy, surprise, surprise ;) ). I want to be able to set magnetic declination, so I don't want any of the little zipper pull models I've seen. And I like aesthetically pleasing things. I've seen the typical stuff, but was wondering if you all have seen or used something that you really like or would recommend before I go and purchase the same old, same old. Thanks. Oh, and it doesn't have to be in Ti. ;D

2. pipedreams

pipedreams Loaded Pockets

3. scríbhneoir
    • Administrator

Staff Member

:-[ Oops. Sorry. Thought I had posted in the right place.

4. scríbhneoir
    • Administrator

Staff Member

5. deeker

deeker Loaded Pockets

Our SAR team uses only Silva Rangers, either the Model 15 or the Ultra. Two scale romers, ruler, easy to set the declination, durable, etc.

6. deeker

deeker Loaded Pockets

scríbhneoir,

That little compass you posted the link for ooks neat, but does it come with a sighting mirror? The mirror is also good for signalling - or getting dirt out of your eye! (used it for that this weekend on a training exercise!)

7. scríbhneoir
    • Administrator

Staff Member

That is a good question. I don't know. I didn't find anything in the description about it. It does look neat--not the same old, same old, not that there is anything wrong with classics. I'm still looking at the Silvas, and the smaller Bruntons are nice, and I also like the option of a wrist compass, which would be convenient on horseback. But heck fire, this is the forum of "Betcha can't have just one," so I don't know that it's against the rules to have more than one compass... :D

8. slick228

slick228 Loaded Pockets

scríbhneoir,

Did you find the perfect EDC compass? I’m also in the market for a good EDCable compass. Any leads?

9. scríbhneoir
    • Administrator

Staff Member

No, not yet. I handled a couple down at our local outfitter's, but liked the little kits they made for kids more, complete with flashlight, whistle, and compass. They didn't carry the Silvas that I wanted to look at. I saw some really inexpensive Brunton's at the BX sporting goods store yesterday, but wasn't impressed. I am in the middle of a rather big and pressing job and a bunch of activities for the next week or so, and then I'm going to park at the Compass Store and look at all of them again and see who carries them so I can go play. I will let you know.

10. Jim101

Jim101 Empty Pockets

Two words: Garmin GPS....I bought one and dumped all my compasses..........

Jim

11. copykat

copykat Loaded Pockets

12. dca2

dca2 Empty Pockets

I give another vote for the Silva Ranger. I had used an old Silva Type 7 for Boy Scouts back in the 80's-very basic no frills. The Ranger is great-I got it for my Geology classes in college. Magnetic declination is a snap to set, the sighting mirror is easy to use and it has a clinometer if you ever need one.

13. scríbhneoir
    • Administrator

Staff Member

:tickedoff: Nope, GPS not allowed for horse trekking. And konrad has one already...

How did those cigars work out? :)

14. Jim101

Jim101 Empty Pockets

I'm still trying different types at the local cigar store, haven't really found one that I want to stick with...
    Although it is fun trying all them...

Jim

15. scríbhneoir
    • Administrator

Staff Member

As Lara Croft says, "Absolutely."

16. Jim101

Jim101 Empty Pockets

Hmmmmmm......Lara Croft...........

Jim

17. Lunal_Tic

Lunal_Tic Empty Pockets

Was your old Brunton marked in Quads? Mine is though I've forgotten all I knew about using it properly for strike, dip etc.

Also wondering if a compass in a watch is a no-no for horse trekking? Nike makes one that is small relative to Suunto and Trek. They also come with other whizbang features like an Altimeter and Barometer. Also the Timex/Martec analog compass watch is nice.

-LT

18. Desertrat1

Desertrat1 Empty Pockets

I'm totally a mil issure tritium compass guy. I also have a military map protractor which will resect you within about 100ft of your location.

19. Buzzbait

Buzzbait Loaded Pockets

First, get a copy of the maps you plan on using. There's nothing worse than having a compass, only to find out that the scales are not the same as the ones on your maps.

With that said, the Silva Ranger is a real classic. If you want something really fun to play with, take a look at the Brunton Eclipse line of compasses.