1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Solid Titanium Pen + Stylus Mini Review and Photos

Discussion in 'Gear Reviews' started by AlternateAlias, Dec 16, 2012.

1. AlternateAlias

AlternateAlias Loaded Pockets

I was thrilled to get home last evening and find the pen in the mailbox after waiting quite some time for the Kickstarter campaign to end, and pens to go through a couple snags and then to finally ship. I will get right into my initial impressions about this pen. First off, I'm not quite satisfied with the quality for the amount of $ paid. That feeling was immediate the second I pulled it out of the box. It's not terrible by any means, just doesn't live up to my expectations. This pen seems more like a $40 pen, a mass produced Chinese made $40 Titanium pen. I paid $65.
    The threads are set up to allow one full turn and the cap comes off. It seems a bit shallow and I hope cap retention won't be an issue down the road. I'm curious about how well the fine looking threads will hold up over time. Ti is pretty hard though, so maybe they will hold up just great and only time will tell. I do like the fact that this pen takes many different kinds of refills, including the venerable Pilot G2. This is achieved by a very stiff spring installed in the stylus end of the pen body that will compress to fit longer refills. To test the performance of this, I pushed down harder than I ever would in normal writing use, and could not get the nib to move. I was worried that the nib would move into the pen body as I wrote and this was not a problem for me.
    To compare, I was more than happy with the quality of the Mike Bond Ti2 pen, it had a hand made craftsmanship feel too it that this pen lacks. To be expected I suppose, I was aware of the manufacturing processes when I signed up for this one. Same with Maxmadco, that one exceeded all my expectations and is amazing in it's build quality. I expect similar from the Tibolt very soon.
    I'm not sure what to think about the finish. I plain don't care for silver coated metal. I know there is some beautiful titanium under there and I wish it wasn't coated. I would much prefer a raw Ti to this silver coating that is applied. I'm kinda wondering if I should have gotten the black one... I may take this to my buddies shop and try to bead blast the finish off at some point. First though, just going to carry in my pocket with coins and keys and see how well it holds up.
    The clip. Ugghh. It works to a degree, I think it needs a bit of and angle at the end where it rests flat against the body. This doesn't make sliding it into a shirt pocket very easy at all, it just hits the shirt pocket edge again and again until you pry it outwards a bit with a finger. It looks cool, I like the "Ti" etching on the front and it makes a good anti-roll mechanism at the very least.
    Overall the pen is "ok". I like the stylus tip, it works great on my old iPhone 4. I like the many refill options. I find it to be pretty darn big. The pen is fat, and quite heavy. It won't be taking the Jotter's place for my work EDC but it is a good one to keep in my backpack. The pen is very long with the cap posted, it feels way out of balance. However, I find it plenty comfortable with the cap off to write with for the time I've had it. I do like it enough to keep it though, so that is saying something. It just might use it more as a stylus than a pen.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

goosefacer likes this.
  2. Merrib64

Merrib64 Loaded Pockets

Not my cup of tea, I don't like the look of the pen at all and the price seems a little high.
    But like everything else this is only my opinion.

3. Joe Talmadge

Joe Talmadge Loaded Pockets

I have the previous kickstarter pen from these makers, and similarly started out almost-satisfied, which slipped to not-satisfied. Loved the overall concept of the pen, it took the hi-tec-c refill. Two problems. One, the little piece on the top that lets you screw the cap onto the the pen body keeps unscrewing itself. I'll have to glue it in. Second, and this seems positively bizarre: my hi-tec-c refills stop working in this pen. I can take a refill that's working in a $3 plastic pen, put it in my expensive stainless steel pen, and within days, it will stop writing. This has happened over and over, too many times to be a coincidence. I am pretty sure that I've put the refills back in the plastic pens and they started writing again at some point, though I might be imagining that part. I dunno, maybe the steel pen's body is squeezing the refills in some odd way...

Espionage Studio likes this.