1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Solarforce Pictures

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by T.H.Cone, Feb 16, 2014.

1. LanWolf

LanWolf Loaded Pockets

Well no problem running a sporttas triple nichia in a double 18650 solarforce host l2-d18 for more than an hour continuously, without getting to hot to touch the head.(A001 Head)
    and a xp-l driven with an blf17dd fet driver, runs over 3.5amps at the tail, no problem on full power for 15 minutes. (Although the head should not be touched at that time)

Im now building a 11x7135 driver for a dedomed xp-l :)
    For safety my hot p60 lights have turbo timeout of 2 minutes, but that could easily be left out or set to 5-10 minutes for most.

david57strat, Blerv and T.H.Cone like this.
  2. Blerv

Blerv Loaded Pockets

My 5a XML2 (accidentally) ran for 10-15 mins in a copper P60 host and didn't tint shift afterwards. The IMR18650 went from around 4.15 to 3.20 in a single bout. You could have cooked an egg with the body though. :)

T.H.Cone and LanWolf like this.
  3. Gilcano

Gilcano Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]

Planning to used with the follwing P60:
    P60vn1T: Extra Brightness, Balance of flood and throw with a cool white tint $75/$80
    XML2, 6500K Dome on, Smooth reflector, 5-6A drive Current, High-Medium-Low-Moonlight always start on High, 3.2-4.2V, ~ 1700 LED Lumen

72hrs must pass before a person may be considered missing, longer if they own a Jeep.

david57strat, T.H.Cone and Blerv like this.
  4. david57strat

david57strat EDC Junkie!!!

Most recent changes to the SolarForce lineup:

1. I recently picked up a Grey L2P, which now has an International Outdoors XP-L U5 7A3 3-mode drop-in.
    2. The gunmetal L2 now has a UV - 400nm 600mW (0.7A) drop-in installed.
    3. I just ordered a Gold L2P, and am waffling over what kind of drop-in I want to install in it. I'd kind of prefer something with a warm tint. That seems to be my new thing, these days, since I have so many cool-tinted lights, already. Warm tints are so easy on the eyes, and are amazing for accurate color rendering - definitely a big plus)
    Will need to post some new pictures of the bunch, after the Gold L2P (and drop-in) arrive.

I still want to get my hands on some of those new Sportac 2-mode triples. Finally, they've made them; but where do I find one available?

To be continued... :)

twin63 and T.H.Cone like this.
  5. Elian_BHZ

Elian_BHZ Loaded Pockets

I recently bought a L2P In black color with the golden interior. I expected a much wear resistant anodized body. After some edc use looks just like my L2. What do you people say about that?

T.H.Cone likes this.
  6. david57strat

Are you saying, the interior of the battery tube was gold-colored, to start off? I've never seen such a thing. I just looked inside a few of my L2 series lights, but they're all the same (no gold). How is the exterior of the light holding up? The newer L2Ps (?) are supposed to be Type III anodized, which should hold up well, with use, and are supposed to support up to a 3-amp load. The L2 lights were had Type II anodizing - not quite as hefty, at least, from what I've read.

T.H.Cone likes this.
  7. T.H.Cone

T.H.Cone I am senor Fluffy, hear me roar

I say, "It's a budget host."

8. Elian_BHZ

Elian_BHZ Loaded Pockets

The aluminum on the interior looks like a bit golden.

I know is a budget host. But what I mean is there is not much of a difference with the resistance of the coating between the type II and III of anodization

T.H.Cone likes this.
  9. T.H.Cone

There isn't, true enough, but my point was, anodization will wear off no matter how well done it is or how expensive the tool. So, in a budget host, even one that claims type III, i think lower expectations are in order. Use any tool, and it will show wear. And, from the tool's perspective, what could be more glorious than that?

Blerv and Elian_BHZ like this.
  10. Elian_BHZ

Elian_BHZ Loaded Pockets

That's right they are tools and they were meant to be used. As well as knives and multitools

T.H.Cone likes this.
  11. Blerv

Blerv Loaded Pockets

These hosts range from $15-30 in most cases. You can buy a new Ford Focus for $15,000 which is an outstanding car...you can also option it up to $30,000. That doesn't make it on par with a Lexus CT200h.

The general rule of "buy the cheapest house in the most expensive neighborhood" works for lights and knives as well (not to mention cars). You get most the bang for the buck at the price entry. The more you spend the less and less the F&F differences are noticeable.

I have two P60 hosts that empty are about $250-275 each. Funny enough besides the McClicky they don't really do anything that a $12 L2 won't do. That makes the price difference between HAII and HAIII seem fairly ridiculous. :)

T.H.Cone likes this.
  12. Shur
    • In Omnia Paratus

Shur Loaded Pockets

I bought an L2P for a friend I work with and the anno has held up better than a cheapy ****fire light but not as well as my Quarks (he's used his for about 7 months, I used the Quark Turbo X for 3 years).
    Also the Armytek I've had about a year could pass for "nearly new, nicks on bezel rings".

T.H.Cone likes this.
  13. twin63

twin63 Loaded Pockets

Solarforce calls it their Premium GOLDEN Grade L2P. I have one that I purchased a few weeks ago. I'm not sure if it's a plating or what, but the inside of the tube does have a golden tint to it. I read a post on another forum that says it supposedly helps with heat transfer, but I haven't used mine enough to comment on that. Definitely a nice looking host, especially with the flat stainless bezel. I think I'll drop in one of the Sportac 2-mode triples that david57strat mentioned (when they become available).

Elian_BHZ, david57strat and T.H.Cone like this.
  14. david57strat

Now, if one of these new Sportac P60s can actually be found. I'm itching to grab one, but all I've been able to find was the Sportac page and some talk of it on CPF.

twin63, Blerv and T.H.Cone like this.
  15. Shur
    • In Omnia Paratus

Shur Loaded Pockets

I expect that the place I keep GOING to for GEAR will have them eventually. They seeme to be building themselves as a flashlight hot spot. ;)
    This time I'll be really sure to buy the correct one since I got the Surefire version last time when I wanted the Solarforce. (Slightly tapered, less pill/host contact I beleive)

IIRC the double 18650 host I just got has a gold tint to the interior.

twin63 and T.H.Cone like this.
  16. T.H.Cone

Verbal yoga makes me laugh.

twin63 likes this.
  17. twin63

twin63 Loaded Pockets

It's here.......................
    [​IMG]

thePlumbah and T.H.Cone like this.
  18. Strayz

Strayz Loaded Pockets

Don't for a second belive this... It is a freaking gateway drug.. Well, never mind you are already here soo....

thePlumbah and T.H.Cone like this.
  19. T.H.Cone

Absolutely true.

But even a fairly large collection of budget lights will not prevent your kids from taking piano lessons or going to college the way a boat or helicopter will.:)

At almost 100 lights, the entire cost of my whole collection wouldn't even begin to pay for a new Mountainbike.

thePlumbah, twin63 and Strayz like this.
  20. Strayz

Strayz Loaded Pockets

Yeah but my tastes have changed a bit. I find myself looking at the $50-$100 lights a lot more these days.

My knives on the other hand seem to be eclipsing the $250 range at a much to fast rate. LOL . My friend at the EDC store is worried that in a few more months I will be no longer stopping at his store and just buying from the makers page.

T.H.Cone likes this.