1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Solarforce Pictures

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by T.H.Cone, Feb 16, 2014.

1. cityofthesouth

cityofthesouth Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]solarforce_L2m_link5 by city_ofthe_south, on Flickr

Finally stopped telling myself "no" on the L2M. Thanks to you guys I've got some RCR123s and charger on my Chistmas list so I can get over my aversion to throw-away cells.

david57strat, twin63, Tornado and 2 others like this.
  2. les snyder

les snyder Loaded Pockets

I've got a couple of G2s with Solarforce modules, and a couple of L2Ns.... but this is my representative display... the Z2 is becoming a favorite, and is my EDC light along with a E05 on the key ring... the M3 with the extension really lights up the alley

[​IMG]

Blerv, T.H.Cone, twin63 and 2 others like this.
  3. archimedes

archimedes EDC Junkie!!!

L2T SS ...

[​IMG]

... running a Vinh V54 color 4-die (RGBW) MC-E mule :)

Blerv, T.H.Cone, twin63 and 1 other person like this.
  4. twin63

twin63 Loaded Pockets

You'll be glad you did;). I have one set up like yours (L2T head and stainless bezel ring) with a Customlites drop-in. Mine gets used primarily as a coat pocket light during colder weather. Let us know how you like it.

cityofthesouth and T.H.Cone like this.
  5. twin63

twin63 Loaded Pockets

I'm surprised the Z2 doesn't get mentioned more. I've had one for close to 2 years now (used as a beater/loaner) and haven't had any issues. For less than $20, it's a great light.

T.H.Cone likes this.
  6. cityofthesouth

That's funny, because that's exactly how I intend to carry mine. I like it real well right now. I am hoping that I am getting run time in return for brightness (which I would be happy with) because my L10c is brighter. We'll see when I finally use up my very small stock of CR123s and switch to RCR123s with a little more grunt. I just got an SF drop-in - LC-XPL 2.7-9v. What Customlights drop-in do you have?

7. twin63

twin63 Loaded Pockets

I'm running the XP-G2 low voltage (0.8-3v), neutral white (4000k). The tint is really nice. I'm not sure about lumens since they aren't listed on his website, but I would say somewhere around 200-300lm. I'm not sure about run time either, but I use the light sparingly, so I'm getting a lot of life out of a CR123. Nothing wrong with the SF drop-ins. I have a few of those as well...they aren't bad for the price. I've thought about picking up a SF XPL myself. What are your thoughts on it?

T.H.Cone likes this.
  8. cityofthesouth

I guess I don't know enough about the details of each type of emitter to be able to see a lot of difference from one to the next. I have 4 SF hosts, 3 with SF drop-ins and 1 with some ebay el cheapo. And I don't remember off the top of my head what each of them are but they were purchased far enough apart that they are all something different. Do you know the claimed benefits of the XPL? The only thing I noticed last night while I had my dogs out was it didn't seem to wash out colors as much as others.

twin63 likes this.
  9. archimedes

archimedes EDC Junkie!!!

XP-L has the brightness (efficiency) of the XM-L series, but in the smaller size of the XP-G series "footprint" .

Tint and color rendering shouldn't be attributed to the emitter type (as such) , but depend on the specific bins used.

twin63 and cityofthesouth like this.
  10. david57strat

david57strat EDC Junkie!!!

I just picked up an mint condition L2T on CPF, with a Customlites XP-L Hi Neutral White (5000K), 3 amp driver; 3-mode drop-in, with smooth reflector). It should be here in the next couple of days.

[​IMG]
    Photos courtesy of jpmac45 of Candle Power Forums (I'll be taking and posting my own shots, after the light arrives) Thanks, John :D

[​IMG]
    The tree is supposed to be 75 yards away.

[​IMG]

Last edited by david57strat, Oct 29, 2015
    keith1234, Blerv, twin63 and 2 others like this.
  11. archimedes

archimedes EDC Junkie!!!

Great beamshots .... I'm a big fan of the XPL, too

david57strat likes this.
  12. david57strat

Thanks, brother. Credit for these great beam shots, needs to go to jpmac45, of Candle Power Forums, . I'll need to take my own, after I receive the light.

The only other XP-L lights I own are my gold Solarforce, with a Sportac 1-mode XP-L V5, and my Armytek Dobermann XP-L, both with very nice output and beams - especially the Armytek. But both of those are very cool white, compared to this much more neutral Customlites drop-in pictured above. That appealed to me, immediately, and I've been really pleased with Customlites (Nail Bender) drop-ins, from Day One. They make a really solid product, for the money.

This will be my first de-domed light :D

T.H.Cone likes this.
  13. david57strat

I love the backdrop you used for this shot. High tech, meets the outdoors.

What folder do you have pictured, with that L2N and shortened L2M? What drop-ins are you using for the lights? Looks like you're using my favorite bezel (The B6 stainless). I love those things.

cityofthesouth likes this.
  14. cityofthesouth

Thanks! You may notice that a lot of my pictures come from this same "stump of picture taking" .... maybe I should just start calling it something like that. Anyway, it's a Kershaw Link, and these two lights have SF drop-ins. I am not knowledgeable on the drop-ins and I don't recall off hand what is in the L2T but the L2M has the XPL 2.7-9v (they call it the LC-XPL?). I got that drop-in because I read that I need the 2.7v for RCR123 batteries and hopefully soon I will use up my CR123 stock and switch over.

ETA: I also love these bezels, they just put on the finishing touch.

More from THE STUMP
    [​IMG]solarforce_L2m_link3 by city_ofthe_south, on Flickr

[​IMG]solarforce_L2m_sidebyside1 by city_ofthe_south, on Flickr

Last edited by cityofthesouth, Oct 30, 2015
    twin63 and david57strat like this.
  15. polonium9

polonium9 EDC Junkie!!!

I feel like if I put the flashlight on a car, it could work as the brights.

That thing is bright as anything, that's impressive.

david57strat likes this.
  16. david57strat

Yeah. A pair of those could work very nicely, as high beams :D :p.

I was favorably impressed by the beam pattern, output, and brightness, myself, when I first saw these pictures posted by the seller. I thought maybe the brightness was exaggerated by the camera settings, but I was pleasantly surprised, when I installed a battery in it, and fired it up for the first time, at night.

I have yet to post some beam shots of my own. Soon enough! :D

17. david57strat

Here is the latest picture of my Solarforce family, which include the addition of two new L2D hosts, which are loaded with Mountain Electronics XM-L2 U3 3D 5-mode drop-ins. The third (original) L2D has an International Outdoors XP-L U5 7A3 3-mode drop-in (One of the warmest P60 lights that I own).

[​IMG]

One change to one of the existing lights was done to the L2P (pictured in the middle/foreground. That light remains one of my main EDCs. I replaced the standard body with a 18650-bored Surefire 6P body, that I picked up on Oveready.

This is to be a three-stage process, with the ultimate goal resulting in a light with a Cryos cooling bezel, housing a far more powerful quad Nichia drop-in (rather than the Sportac triple Nichia currently installed), and a higher amperage tail switch, to support the heavier amperage load.

At the end of this process, the light will no longer be a Solarforce, at all - which means, I need to purchase another Solarforce, to keep the number at twenty (I hate odd numbers. That's as good an excuse as any, right?).

Last edited by david57strat, Aug 24, 2016
    twin63 likes this.
  18. twin63

twin63 Loaded Pockets

david57strat I always enjoy seeing pics of your Solarforce collection. What's your opinion of the L2D?

david57strat likes this.
  19. david57strat

I like it a lot. It feels a bit heftier than the other L2 series hosts. This model is considerably more expensive, or I'd own a lot more of them. It took me a while to get used to the side-only switch, which is very small (All I ever had, previously, in Solarforce hosts, was those with the tail switch, which were, of course, large, and, of course, on the end - but the side switch (which is a little harder to find in the dark) has a nice feel to it.

I also think it runs a little bit cooler, on high power settings; maybe because of the longer body mass (the head seems to be deeper).

I'll probably end up with more of them, before the year is out :D.

twin63 likes this.
  20. weklund

weklund Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Solarforce LT-1 Lantern on Surefire C2

[​IMG]

L2 Cerakote on my Remington 870

[​IMG]