1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Solar power with power bank.

Discussion in 'Electronic Devices' started by polak187, May 7, 2016.

1. polak187

polak187 Loaded Pockets

I've been carrying one of the portable power sources for about 2 years now. It can start the dead car but also recharge my phone multiple times. Comes in quite handy on multiple occasions when I get issued a patrol car with no working plugs. I still want a portable solar power solution that I can leave on the dash board. I'm hoping to get a decent solar panel that would charge the power bank or other portable devices. It will be mostly used for work and occasional camping/kayaking trips. My only experience with solar power were charger for my portable gaming system (sucked) and solio charger/battery bank that was ok but it doesn't hold much power and is more of a trickle charge than anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

I have a few Anker systems and their solar folding panels charge their power banks right up.
    It is not very fast but thus is portable vs speed

Sent from my iPhone don't expect too much

3. adnj

adnj Loaded Pockets

Yep, folding is the way to go. I especially like the ones that are small enough to lash onto a pack while biking or hiking. Not much output but they are working all the while that I am on the move.

For a car that has no plugs, try carrying a Jumper that will plug into your fuse panel for instant DC from the vehicle. It's super simple to make and should cost no more than $10. Make sure that you put a fuse on the circuit, just in case.

4. polak187

polak187 Loaded Pockets

Cool guys. Any ideas on actual make/models of panels than?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

Sure just Google Anker Solar Panel and look around

polak187 likes this.
  6. Stonerman33
    • In Omnia Paratus

Stonerman33 Loaded Pockets

Haven't tried anker solar panels, but have a bunch of other anker stuff with no complaints. I do have a Goal Zero folding solar panel that I strap to a bag when hiking/camping to keep my phone or a kindle juiced up.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk

7. E.D.C

E.D.C Loaded Pockets

thanks for the info will have to check this out in the near future

8. JOE68

JOE68 Loaded Pockets

Watching this thread with interest as I too, would like to be able to use a solar charger to power up my battery packs/power banks for use with my phone.
    Goal Zero and Anker seem to be popular ---- any other brands worth mentioning?
    What are some of the things to look for when judging these portable panels?

9. Burncycle

Burncycle Loaded Pockets

I have a Goal Zero 7 watt and an Anker 14 watt, love them both! The Goal Zero is only 1 amp, but can charge up the guide 10 power pack (4x AA or AAA) in about 4 hours of good sun if I remember right. The Anker is a 2.1 amp and can directly charge things that require that (some tablets, etc).

I remember seeing a lot of videos online of the Goal Zero panels taking serious abuse which is what sold me on that. I dunno if the Anker is as durable but it certainly seems pretty robust for what I'd typically be using it for.

10. F-Bobby

F-Bobby EDC Junkie

For solar power stuff I've seen and used Brunton and Goal Zero. They're both quality stuff. With the edge IMO going to Goal Zero. Also the Goal Zero stuff can be sourced locally at an Eastern Mountain Sports and possibly REI if you wanna get your hands on them and check out their quality.

11. Lateck

Lateck Loaded Pockets

Another vote for Anker products. The newer 21 watt folding solar panel works great and can charge at higher voltage (5vdc, if I remember correctly).

Lateck,

12. bob_the_bomb

bob_the_bomb Loaded Pockets

Powermonkey

13. Stonerman33
    • In Omnia Paratus

I just picked up the 21w Anker from Amazon. Will put it through its paces over the next week or so.

E.D.C likes this.
  14. E.D.C

E.D.C Loaded Pockets

let us know,

15. Lateck

Lateck Loaded Pockets

I like mine. It has charged my cell phone and I have used it to top off my Anker 26,800mAh battery core + battery pack.
    I have not "tested" it in any other way. So, I would also welcome reading a test on it.

Lateck,

16. dml24

dml24 Loaded Pockets

Coming soon to my front door is the Anker 21W 2-Port USB Solar Charger PowerPort Solar panel. I will try on our cell phones and my Samsung Tab 4.0.
    Looking at the Goal Zero Guide 10, MH-C204U Compact USB Charger or Ansmann Powerline 4 Pro.

One use for the Anker solar panel will be charging an Anker E5 16000 mAh external battery. The E5 keeps my LG G3 charged on long flights and long meetings when working in the field or contractor site.

17. dmattaponi

dmattaponi Loaded Pockets

Recently purchased the Anker 8W folding solar panel and Anker 10000 Mah power bank. Haven't had a reason to use them yet.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

18. Stonerman33
    • In Omnia Paratus

While I don't have any numbers to really offer at this point, I will say the Anker is off to a good start. I set it up on the dash of my car in the parking lot at work on Thursday. Less than ideal as the sunlight refracting through the glass windshield is far from "direct sunlight."

I don't intend to directly charge any of my devices, rather I'll charge up one of multiple USB battery packs to ensure my iPad/iPhone gets consistent juice.

When I set it up in my car, my lime fuel branded battery (20,000mah) was showing 69% charged on its digital readout. I set it up at noon on my lunch and unhooked it when I left at 4pm and it had reached 94%. 25% (5000mah) in 4 hours at a less than ideal setup. That same output could've charged a couple of iPads, or 4ish modern smartphones.

I bought this to compare against the goal zero that I've had for a few years, and there likely won't be much competition. While I can appreciate the smaller form factor of the GZ, it just doesn't have the output of the newer technology. Honestly, to be expected. There's still a use for my smaller GZ setup when space is at a premium, but this Anker is off to a good start so far. I'll continue to put it through its paces to see how well it holds up in the long run.

19. E.D.C

E.D.C Loaded Pockets

To everyone who has a anker solar pannel and a power bank i have a question, can i charge my items with the power bank while the powerbank is being charged by the solar panel?

dml24 likes this.
  20. Stonerman33
    • In Omnia Paratus

Depends on the power bank. Some allow it, some don't. You can test yours by plugging it into a wall outlet to charge and see if it will allow you to simultaneously charge your phone. If it works that way, it'll do the same thing via solar.

E.D.C likes this.