1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Solar panel chargers...

Discussion in 'Electronic Devices' started by Grigio, Oct 18, 2010.

1. Grigio

Grigio Empty Pockets

I've seen then being sold around. But is it that practical to buy and use one or I might just as well bring my stock chargers...

2. DaPro

DaPro Loaded Pockets

Depends on your situation.....when I go camping or hiking, I bring mine along, otherwise it sits in my truck

To be honest I like having the emergency "AA" battery pack in my vehicles better, I always have an extra battery in my jumbo.

3. SemperFly

SemperFly Loaded Pockets

4. dimeotane

dimeotane Loaded Pockets

Is there a good solar AA battery charger available? It would be great to charge a set of AA's in a few hours by solar. Good for while backpacking or camping.

I've seen these small solar 1000 mah cell phone chargers with an internal lithium battery. They can 'boost' your cell battery, but will take all day to recharge the internal battery by solar. They cost about $20-$50.

5. haiyter

haiyter Loaded Pockets

seriously speaking if you have a smartphone, its going to take too long to charge for even emergency uses. I have a samsung vibrant and Ive tried using this 2 AA's usb charger on my smart phone and it went up from 30% to 33% and it drained out both batteries. I can just imagine how long it will take even on a sunny day to charge up to 2%

6. Joe Talmadge

Joe Talmadge Loaded Pockets

3% more charge on 2AAs indicates a problem somewhere -- with your charger, with your phone's circuit, with the AA batteries you used, something. 2AAs do *not* have just 3% of the capacity of any smartphone battery.

7. mjadams75

mjadams75 Loaded Pockets

My Question is are there solar charger(s) out there that will charge a device completely thus allowing the device to be run independent from the solar charger?

8. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

Depends on where you're bringing them. A business trip to another city is fine. A camping trip or rural outing, not so much. The solar-powered chargers can come in handy for a BOB, survival kit, or emergency kit. Or, any place where an outlet might be hard to find.

9. mjadams75

mjadams75 Loaded Pockets

Thanks everybody. Settled on the power monkey solar charger.

10. dimeotane

dimeotane Loaded Pockets

I've been considering this 1W solar battery charger for $12 including shipping. It charges AA and AAA batteries. It can charge 2 in 4.5 hours or 4 AAs in 9 hours.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/1W-Solar-Battery-Charger-4-pc-AA-AAA-GREEN-POWER-DZ59-/260715115602?pt=US_Batteries&hash=item3cb3d4f452

All our battery driven AAA headlamps and AA flashlights would be useless once all our batteries are dead. In a total power outage you'd need something like this to charge your batteries in the sun.
    But if you could charge a fresh set of batteries every day in the sun you could keep using your flashlights during the night!

11. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

Makes sense in a horrific situation. For a blackout, a few lithium AA cells in a couple of good AA lights is a better option.

12. TjPippa

TjPippa Loaded Pockets

I have the explorer monkey charger. Its great. It has the different socket attachments to charge it direct from a power supply and also the solar charger. I've used it for a while now and I'm really pleased with. I did change the case it came with to a peli microcase. Its watertight and truely robust.

13. ObiHann

ObiHann Loaded Pockets

Hijacking this thread for a moment (close to on topic), what would you guys recommend for a AA/AAA charger (solar of course) that can charge in a reasonable amount of time and is fairly rugged? In the cold weather my batteries drain fast, on a hike or search I can go through a ton of batteries for my GPS, flashlight, radio, whatever. I would love to attach a charger to my bag and always have a fresh set.