1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Solar Casio charging questions

Discussion in 'Watches' started by Evil D, Dec 31, 2013.

1. Evil D

Evil D Loaded Pockets

Hey guys, just curious what everyone's battery life is like? Casio's site claims 9 month battery light with no exposure to light for my 7900, but the batter gauge has gone from full charge to low in less than 5 days. Yesterday it dropped to low, so I laid it outside on my porch in the sun all day and it jumped back up to high, and after one day it's back down to medium again. Is this normal or is something wrong? I do have power save function turned on, but I have never seen it in "sleep mode" with the screen turned off. I also have the auto EL function turned on, but it rarely even work when I actually want it to, so I don't think that's running the battery down either.

Other than that, the only other issue I've had is getting the atomic signal to sync, which is odd because it did it on its own on Christmas day, but now (in the same room) I can't get it to sync up manually, and it hasn't done it successfully on its own since.

2. Carl Belcher

Carl Belcher Banned

That sounds a little odd to me. I'm on my 3rd Casio Solar and I have never seen low battery, it went the med once and that was when I was using the backlight as a flashlight almost constantly one night. I don't use the auto backlight, and when I wake up at night my watch is almost always in sleep mode with the screen blank.

powerring likes this.
  3. KnoxButler

KnoxButler Loaded Pockets

I have a solar Casio Pathfinder and I have never seen the battery charge indicator on anything other than full, even after its been in my watch box with no light for a week or so. I think you should contact Casio's customer support, it sounds like something is not functioning properly. You should be able to keep it in complete darkness for a extended period of time no problem, 5 days with it on your wrist with intermittent exposure to sunlight should be more than enough to keep it fully charged. In the meantime I would turn off the auto EL function. In my experience with two different pathfinder models, the EL function although sometimes useful often illuminates the watch face unnecessarily and being that the back-light is probably the single largest power consumer on the watch it couldn't hurt to just turn it off the auto function and see if your problem improves.

Soosh and powerring like this.
  4. ox71

ox71 Loaded Pockets

Hit the watch against a tabletop, that might get the battery to hold a charge.
    if not it may be bad, they do sell replacements
    casio ctl1616 is the part batterybob has them and info on how to install, if mishandled they short out easily buy touching with fingertips.

5. Ronin101

Ronin101 Loaded Pockets

I think you are overthinking it. I have a GW-300 wich i think was one of the first ones. got it on clearance at walmart for 35.00. It has been on low med high at differnt times and I never do anything with it. never manually set the atomic clock function. just wear and forget. I have been using mine for around 15 years.

6. ox71

ox71 Loaded Pockets

Another bit of info I learned about the solar G's is that if you are putting the watch out to charge, put it in a glass of water, that way the watch doesn't overheat and fry the battery. All day in direct sunlight can do this as well as leaving it on the dashboard in a car.
    try changing it again once or twice and see what happens.

7. shrap

shrap Loaded Pockets

Are you wearing the watch to sleep? If you are an active sleeper, the auto-EL may be going on all night and draining the battery.

When charging, the battery indicator often shows "high" but when removed from a light source, will instantly drop down to medium. It isn't accurate right after charging.

8. Omega Man
    • In Omnia Paratus

Omega Man Loaded Pockets

I have one that is kept in a jewelry box and I only discover it recharge it maybe once every 12-15 months. I know this isn't good for it, but I just forget its there. The screen usually inactive, but a few hours in the sun and it turns on then starts charging.

9. MCPOWoller

MCPOWoller Loaded Pockets

I've had my Pathfinder PRG-50 since mid 2006 and it has never dropped below mid charge. That was even after I left it in my locker in Iraq while I traveled around the AOR for over a month. One day in the window and it has been fully charged ever since. I'd contact Casio.

10. Steakslim

Steakslim Empty Pockets

As I found out with my casio, the cause of all my battery drainage was the auto EL function. Especially if I have it on while I sleep. Even if you have it off, it is easy to turn it on by accident on my watch in my sleep and it'll just run the juice down quick. Otherwise the battery life is just fine.

11. Bauzen

Bauzen Loaded Pockets

Sometimes my solars go from full to low in the matter of a couple of months, but never 5 days. I have noticed considerably longer battery life when you disable the AutoEL. I often see mine lighting up at night when I'm not asking it to, which drains the battery unnecessarily. If it's dark, pressing the button to light it up isn't that big a deal.

Only time I ever really need the AutoEL is when I'm riding my motorcycle at night and I can't take both hands off my handlebars to check the time.

12. neon

neon Loaded Pockets

I have my Pathfinder (Protrek) for six years and the battery indicator was on med only when I bought it and removed it from the box. First nice sunny day brought it to full and this never changed. I have never intentionally left my watch on the sun to charge. I just wear it and do not think of the battery. I had the auto EL option on for the first month of owning the watch but turned it off after that and it has been off since.

My Protrek is PRW-1300.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

SAKplumber likes this.
  13. Darth_Firebolt

Darth_Firebolt Loaded Pockets

Yikes. I keep mine around my motorcycle handlebar on long trips. Hope I'm not overheating it.

SAKplumber likes this.
  14. Shur
    • In Omnia Paratus

Shur Loaded Pockets

My 10 year old PRG-80 isnt holding a charge nearly as well as it used to but it will still take a month to go from high to med from a full charge.

My new way of charging is to leave it on a flat top led bulb I have installed in my bedside lamp. Even after a few hours the watch is barely warmer than it would have been on my wrist.

15. Handa

Handa Empty Pockets

Sounds like the battery is shot. I'd give Casio a call if I were in your shoes.