1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

SOG knifes at shot show

Discussion in 'Knives' started by Vesp, Feb 6, 2013.

1. Vesp
    • In Omnia Paratus

Vesp Loaded Pockets

Got this link from a friend.

I did not know that Jason Brous had been colab with SOG..

2. vegassprky
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

vegassprky Loaded Circuits

Wished he'd picked a better company, not too fond of SOG. More cheap crap IMO.

Sirfishalot likes this.
  3. Vesp
    • In Omnia Paratus

Vesp Loaded Pockets

Yep. I have never bough a SOG knife, because I think they look cheap and bad.
    But it might be good, you never know.. :)

Zookie likes this.
  4. KOKUSHI MUSOU

KOKUSHI MUSOU Loaded Pockets

Excited to see a production version of the Silent Soldier, but christ... That video was just painful to watch.

Indeed. I don't care how they originated. Most of their products are just mall ninja :censored: for the worst types of people.

Vesp and vegassprky like this.
  5. Quixotica

Quixotica Loaded Pockets

I have a SOG Flash II. It's okay. It doesn't necesarily have blade play, but it's obviously not a very solid knife. It bends under a little pressure. I got it in a trade, so I keep it in my army go bag just in case, but I doubt I would ever pay that much for any knife with that level of quality.

Vesp likes this.
  6. Sirfishalot

Sirfishalot Empty Pockets

That was the impression I got too when first looked at them last weekend.

JayT

7. Racer

Racer Loaded Pockets

I talked my sister out of a Seal Pup and into a BK2 instead. The Seal Pup didn't look like a terrible knife, and it got stellar reviews on Amazon. But it just seemed way overpriced for what it was - pay a premium price for OK steel with an OK knife. She kept saying how light it was. Yeah, because you're not getting much steel.

At least most of SOG's knives look like a step up from that Bear Grylls total crap she was looking at before. I wouldn't trust a campsite cookout to that shiznit, and I'm guessing neither would the guy they're named after.

8. watchcollector1968

watchcollector1968 Loaded Pockets

It's too bad SOG has ended up where they are. Way back, 20-ish years ago they were really very good. Anyone remember the original Air-SOG or the original Tomcat and original Pentagon and others? Great stuff...they are now a pale shadow of what they used to be.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

9. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

I was going to try and bug SOG about becoming a dealer. I am guessing that might not be a good idea? I have never used a SOG, they are not my kind of knife but I thought others might like them.

10. Vesp
    • In Omnia Paratus

Vesp Loaded Pockets

Like I said, I have never owned a SOG. So I can only speak for myself, but they are not my cup of tea..
    I don't think they would sell too good, but again IMO. :)

11. Matt130
    • In Omnia Paratus

Matt130 Loaded Pockets

I own a SOG Aegis (Full size, not mini) and I really like it. I also have used one of their multi tools and thought it was very good (Not as good as a Leatherman or a Swiss Tool though). I can see why most people don't like SOG, must of the products they put out just feel and look cheap.

As much as I like my SOG Aegis, it has Zytel handles and I will be the first one to admit that it feels cheap. I am also not a fan of the AUS8 steel that the Aegis has, it dulls very quickly IMO.

12. Matt130
    • In Omnia Paratus

Matt130 Loaded Pockets

I don't know how others feel, but other than the Aegis and SOG Powerlock, nothing SOG put out excites me. I have heard great things about the SOG Twitch 2, but I have no first hand experience with it.

13. Rawls

Rawls Loaded Pockets

SOG's stuff just doesn't have the fit and finish you'd expect for knives of that price. I have reviewed a few and each was a disappointment. Additionally, for the same money you can get a Spyderco, Kershaw, or Benchmade with equal or better materials. The low end stuff, like the Flash and the Aegis and the Twitch, are all poor materials and finish for the price. The higher end stuff like the Vision are still poor materials for the price. In the low end you get AUS-8 for around $40 as the entry. For the high end you get VG-10 for around $100 as the entry. Woefully disappointed.

14. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

Just as well, it is hard for me to get things that are already talked about on the forum anyway.

I am going to have to find more suppliers.

15. lefty81

lefty81 Loaded Pockets

Have a twitch II, liked the look of it and found a decent deal on it. It has blade play and does have that cheap feel to it. I keep it in my office desk as a backup if i need to slice fruit or open an envelop. Don't think I will edc it. I don't have any other experience with SOG and don't think i would buy another SOG knife, just too many other great knives out there at the same price or slightly higher.

16. killroy360
    • In Omnia Paratus

killroy360 Loaded Pockets

:( i love all my SOG's and havent had a problem with any of them.. Different strokes i suppose..

17. HybridMomentsPass

get stuff you currently "sell" back in stock
    it sucks when I go to the store and so much of it is out of stock
    one thing at a time...
    also, how did you lose your home to maxpedition?

AND
    also, I've looked at a few SOGs, the smaller ones for pocket carry, I liked them and they weren't too expensive either. Take that for what you will.

18. c5k0

c5k0 Loaded Pockets

My Flash II has been great - this is coming from somebody who isn't a fan of FRN scales.

I prefer it in certain situations because: 1. I don't mind beating on it, 2. it's assisted - so deployment when I'm on a ladder or in a lift is very easy one-handed, 3. it's has a decent weight:blade size ratio.

I did, however, disassemble it upon arrival as there was minor side-to-side play, cleaned it up, re-lubed it with Militec-1 reassembled and thread-locked it. It hasn't moved since.

I've been using it close to a year now (in regular rotation - or left inside my desk drawer) with no issues.

It also came very, very sharp - push cut paper sharp. A couple of strokes on the strop and it was hair-shaving sharp.

The one suggestion I have that I feel would improve the knife is G10 radiused scales (similar to the Benchmade Torrent - with a rougher finish - like Spyderco's, or even Cold Steel, not smooth like the Torrent).

YMMV.

In regards to the video: I like that they're trying to be innovative - example Slimjim - even though it design is similar to a 530 Pardue. Not too keen on the price. About double what I would pay.

19. that_stupid_kydd

that_stupid_kydd Loaded Pockets

depending on price and steel used i'd buy the silent soldier but other then that not too many SOGs interest me

20. HybridMomentsPass

also, that slim knife looks awesome.