1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

SOCP carry strategies

Discussion in 'Knives' started by irl314, Apr 5, 2017.

1. irl314

irl314 Loaded Pockets

I've been looking at picking up a benchmade SOCP, the 178 version. My main hesitation with it is this, I've never edc'd a fixed blade before, nor used a knife quite like the SOCP, and so I'm not sure as to how I am going to carry this, I'd prefer iwb, but I'm not overly confident about the clip on the sheath. If anyone carries this blade or had carried it, how did you manage to keep it secure? Extra retention? New sheath?
    Any other discussion regarding the blade is welcome and appreciated.

2. thatotherguy

thatotherguy EDC Junkie!!!!!

I don't have experience with that particular knife but I've done a bit of fixed blade carrying... do what you find comfortable. If you like itw and it's legal in your area, carry itw; your waistband and belt will keep the knife in place fairly well even without the clip which becomes, for a lightweight knife held itw, more or less a redundancy. If you can fit it in your pocket and prefer it that way, throw it in the pocket. If you like bag carry, carry it in a bag- it doesn't matter what is and isn't feasible on paper, because everyone is different in their preferences and carry strategies. Therefore, do what you like and don't be afraid to experiment a little to see what you like best.

Personally, I can't stand itw on a straight handled knife. A TDI, maybe. But I cannot stand a straight knife poking into my ribcage and printing like all get out when I sit- the handle is always just too long.

3. irl314

irl314 Loaded Pockets

the sheath for this one is unique, it covers all but the ring at the top, my concern is it jabbing into so 'vital areas' when sitting.

4. thatotherguy

thatotherguy EDC Junkie!!!!!

If I remember the size correctly, that knife should work fine ITW (assuming it isnt appendix or small of back for purposes of poke avoidance and printing respectively) and it should work fine in the pocket as well if that catches your fancy. If you have MOLLE on your bag (if you carry a bag) it should fit there just fine as well. Plenty of options.

ETA: it's worthwhile to mention that I have seen the knife in person and handled it, but I have not carried it. Also, it has been a long while since I've played with one, so take my opinion with a grain of salt, of course.

5. Rockman18

Rockman18 Loaded Pockets

I have this knife and have carried it on and off for quite a while. It is a unique sheath and I have always worn it itw and am pretty sure that it has never come loose and that's while wrestling around with my boys or twisting during bowling on the rare occasions that I do that or even just hiking around searching for geocaches. Everything is covered by the sheath except for the ring handle with has some nice knurling on it and when I have it itw just enough of that ring sticks up over my waistline for me to easily slip my finger in the ring to draw it out.

Because it rides as low as it does depending on where you end up carrying it, it does have a tendency to poke around or pinch but nothing too serious. I mostly carried it at the 1 o'clock position and it really only stopped me from bending straight forward all the way before it got uncomfortable but with my gun at 2-3 o'clock that's where I felt it would work the best. It does slide behind molle webbing perfectly, in fact I think I read that it was designed for that so that it could be stashed behind a pouch on a chest rig but don't quote me on that. Any other questions that you have about it I can try and answer, my only regret was not getting the package that had the trainer knife as well because that would have been nice to have to work with to practice the draw smoothly in case you needed to grab and stab

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. irl314

irl314 Loaded Pockets

Alright, thanks everyone for the advice. I'm going to place an order for it in the next couple of days, you were a real help!