1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

SOCKS

Discussion in 'EDC Clothing' started by wildborego, Sep 20, 2012.

1. wildborego

wildborego EDC Junkie!!!!!

i'll try to stop by a store today if i can...................

2. Mudinyeri

Mudinyeri Loaded Pockets

Allergic or just irritated by scratchy wool? 'Cause Merino wool isn't scratchy.

3. nuphoria

nuphoria Loaded Pockets

Very allergic - eczema and all that jazz!

4. tacticalchef

tacticalchef Loaded Pockets

We had a record hot summer in the Northeast this year. My feet were much happier in the Smartwool socks than in cotton socks last year. Assuming that you pick a comparable thickness sock, they are no "hotter" and have superior moisture transport than the cotton.

A lot of the high-tech synthetic fabrics also offer superior moisture transport over both wool and cotton. Cotton has been my friend for many years but I am now retiring most of my cotton for superior moisture wicking fabrics.

5. bigguy02

bigguy02 Loaded Pockets

Under Armour.

6. quietconundrum
    • In Omnia Paratus

quietconundrum EDC Junkie

Smartwool PhD Outdoor Light socks for me. the best, most comfortable, breathable, durable and utilitarian sock I've worn. I walk ~4mi a day with my Huskies, not to mention normal everyday foot traffic and they handle it wonderfully. I used to wear the Ultra Lights (still PhD Outdoor series) and while very minimalist, breathable and comfortable, they do tend to wear out much quicker and wear thin in the primary contact points with your shoe soles... so I switched to just the "Light" version and love them.

7. CatfishTX

CatfishTX Loaded Pockets

Smartwool is great for travel. Thorlo are great but expensive. Darn tough are great in my boots.

8. Macgirl

Macgirl Loaded Pockets

Merino wool for walking and running, I have Ibex, SmartWool (PhD light and ultra light are great for summer), Darn Tough and Icebreaker. No hot spots or blisters, ever.

Cotton for lounging about.

9. evolutionglitch
    • In Omnia Paratus

evolutionglitch Loaded Pockets

10. xtrajack

xtrajack Loaded Pockets

Those are what I wear as well.

11. billybogota
    • In Omnia Paratus

billybogota Loaded Pockets

Another +1 for Darn Tough and Smartwool--worth every penny when your feet are your only mode of transpo.

12. powerring
    • In Omnia Paratus

powerring Loaded Pockets

REI makes some soft but durable light and medium weight wool socks under their own label. A lot of people think that wool will be too hot when the temps are high but it isn't. Moisture and odor :confused: are managed much better with wool than cotton.

wildborego likes this.
  13. sgt253

sgt253 Loaded Pockets

New to the forum. Wear Darn Tough on a daily basis. Only socks I will ever wear. Have worn them in combat boots to gym shoes to hiking boots to dress shoes. I have a variety of weights from thin to thick. Darn Tough gets my vote.

wildborego likes this.
  14. Ludwell01

Ludwell01 Loaded Pockets

DeFeet merino or DeFeet Aireator
    I love the Aireators and they are made from recycled plastic bottles :)

[​IMG]

wildborego likes this.
  15. wildborego

wildborego EDC Junkie!!!!!

easy to maintain??

16. Black Helmet
    • In Omnia Paratus

Black Helmet Loaded Pockets

Primarily Underarmour white/black for me, unlesss the occasuion calls for wool!

17. chmsam

chmsam Loaded Pockets

I am an old fart who has worked on hard surfaces for decades. I wear Wigwam Ragg Wool socks with sock liners. My feet stay warm in winter, cool in the summer, and comfortable all year 'round.

I like Wigwam products a lot but if I can't get those I go for ProFeet. Hey, if mail carriers and cops wear them then I figure that's a pretty good endorsement.

Slightly off topic but I also (very) highly recommend SuperFeet insoles. They replace the footbeds in your shoes and cost a whale of a lot less than custom orthodics but don't crap out after a few days like those Dr. Whosits either. About $35-50 and they last me 6 months or more. Very important to get the correct density and size but there are tons of options.

Spend money on good shoes and take care of your feet. Trust me, by the time you get to be 60-ish you'll appreciate it.

Ludwell01 likes this.
  18. Ludwell01

Ludwell01 Loaded Pockets

I wash them @ 40degC and always tumble-dry so no real care taken with them.
    I reckon I get about 2 years worth of wear out of a pair. It's hard to know exactly as I buy a load in one go all the same colour-way so I dont need to pair socks and throw them individually as they wear out. Doing that extends the life of all the socks as you get to wear out both socks and not just one as you can keep reusing the 'odd' socks :)

19. Rapt_up

Rapt_up Loaded Pockets

Smartwool is great, bamboo is nice, if more moisture absorbent, and coolmax hiking socks are also awesome. I use a layered sock approach for hiking, very light coolmax liner with smartwool outer. Keeps feel dry and comfy and no blisters ever, because your skin is dry, and any movement happens between the sock layers rather than your skin and a sock.

20. mikespike2

mikespike2 Loaded Pockets

Check out smartwool! They are not cheap, but well worth it. I see tacticalchef recommended them as well.