1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

So you've got $100, what do you buy?

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by uofaengr, May 28, 2015.

1. uofaengr

uofaengr Loaded Pockets

I've got a $100 gift card on the way to me thanks to credit card rewards. These usually go toward knives or sharpening equipment, but I think this time it's going toward a new light as I'm getting bitten by this bug hard.

I'm liking the AAA and AA lights since they are readily available sizes and Eneloops just make them even better. I saw last summer on a job I was on just how quickly I nearly burned through a box of Surefire CR123s.

I'm really interested in a NW tint light especially the Nichia 219 as my Maratac AAA and probably both my Surefires are cool white. Something different would be nice. I've been doing a LOT of research lately and these are the main lights on my radar right now I'm considering. Some such as the Peak and the P2 I'm wavering on due to certain concerns I have.

SS Peak Eiger with N219, small optic ($80 shipped)
    47s Preon P2 with N219 ($50 plus shipping)
    L3 Illumination L10 with N219 ($28.50 shipped)
    Zebralight SC52w ($64 shipped)

Other options (not neutral tints)
    Backup Maratac AAA aluminum ($30+ CountyCrap shipping)
    Surefire Titan-A ($59 shipped)

I'd like to pick up some AAA and AA Eneloops plus a charger too even if it's outside the $100 cap.

My leader right now is the ZL. Selfbuilt's review on this light, and every other review I've seen is beyond good. Amazing little light. Maybe not an EDC for me due to the width but something I'll own one way or another. The L10 really impressed me too, so much more than the L08. I'm almost thinking the L10 plus the ZL might be the winner, allowing me to EDC the L10 in rotation with my Maratac.

I like Surefire too, but the value of these other lights is starting to blow SF away IMO. I may leave the Titan-A as a gift the parents or in-laws or someone can get me for Christmas as I always have to give an idea to them.

There are also some other things I've been eyeing on CountyComm lately to justify the high shipping for another Maratac. I'm interested in the 3" widgy bar, some delrin battery lockers, and some 3/32 tether cord. Or I may need to find a better resource to pick those up from to avoid CCs dumb shipping policy.

So after all that...what would you buy?

Tornado likes this.
  2. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

SC52 without any hesitation!

Everyone who sees mine in action orders one too.

I would also get a couple 14500 with the balance and a charger for them so I can let her blaze when needed!

And then eneloops for daily use.

uofaengr likes this.
  3. uofaengr

uofaengr Loaded Pockets

Love the enthusiasm! I'm strongly leaning this way. What's a good source for the 14500s? I see that ZL has their own at $10 a pop. Is there a charger that will do both eneloops and the 14500s? Or what is the recommended charger(s) around here for these?

4. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

I would and have just get/gotten the ZL batteries and I use a Maha 9000 for Eneloops and the Nitecore 4 bay for the 14500.

Buy Once Cry Once as they say.

uofaengr likes this.
  5. uofaengr

uofaengr Loaded Pockets

I see the Nitecore charger will handle both the eneloops and the 14500s. Any reason not to use it for both?

6. GatorMedic

GatorMedic Loaded Pockets

I shall make my response different just to make you think:

L3 Illumination L11C Nichia 219 (the L10 is fine but I prefer clicky version and the clip is much better on it) = $34

Black Diamond Spot headlamp = $31

Streamlight Siege AA lantern = $26 (I can let you know how to get free shipping if needed in a PM)

Reward to the person who gave you this idea = $9 ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ben Rubinstein and uofaengr like this.
  7. uofaengr

uofaengr Loaded Pockets

Interesting, those will give me something to think about.

L11C? What happened to the L10C? Or was it always the 11? As long as it's a good clicky that won't come on in pocket, I'll be considering it.

I've never really thought about a headlamp until now. I've got a $10 special from wally world for my hardhat when I occasionally need one. Never really thought about a general purpose headlamp though.

Edit: I see the L11C is a slight revision of the 10. I hope it's a good light for 37.50 shipped.

GatorMedic likes this.
  8. GatorMedic

GatorMedic Loaded Pockets

They just "upgraded" the L10C to the L11C. Not sure of the real world differences between the two other than the retail packaging. But I have two L11Cs in the mail coming to me now and I already own the L10C that I have been carrying off work for several months now, so I shall post any differences I find elsewhere on this forum when they arrive.

I only recently became aware of how useful headlamps are. I'd never even used or owned one until less than a year ago I saw my work partner using his on scene one day. Bought a cheap Walmart one to try out and discovered it was a good thing to have. Did some research and pulled the trigger on a BD Spot. Love the features on it and it's definitely worth the ~$30 in my opinion.

The Streamlight Siege lantern (in either battery version) is packed full of features, too. You can hang it using the smartly designed handle or by the carabiner attached to the base. It floats. Red and white light settings. Can take the cover off if you want a more ceiling light type use. Great addition to the house or vehicle for storm/emergency use or just in general.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

uofaengr likes this.
  9. KeyeEl

KeyeEl EDC Junkie!!!!!

Prometheus Beta QR V2 has a Nichia and might be worth considering.

Out of the brands you listed, I've owned Peak, 47s and Zebralight. My preference slightly leans to Zebralight but they aren't as durable as the Peaks. Even knowing that I still prefer Zebras in everyday use. I'd also recommend you check out the daylight tint if you go with the Zebra. (SC52d)

uofaengr likes this.
  10. uofaengr

uofaengr Loaded Pockets

I'm not ruling out a Prometheus Cu for a future purchase. If I was super crazy about copper lights it might would be my next purchase. My Maratac is filling that niche for right now at least. It'd be nice if they could get a bit more output on the Beta and offer the 3 modes on the non copper options. Gorgeous lights though.

KeyeEl likes this.
  11. Tornado

Tornado Loaded Pockets

Another vote for the ZL SC52! It's one of those special lights that when you see one, you wan't one for yourself. Not only does it look absolutely gorgeus, it also has the excellent UI everyone raves about. I have mine with me every day, everywhere and always.

Maze and uofaengr like this.
  12. mad one

mad one Loaded Pockets

Zebralight without a doubt will be money well spent

Maze and uofaengr like this.
  13. Eagle Scout
    • In Omnia Paratus

Eagle Scout Loaded Pockets

Eagletac D25A Titanium Nichia 219. You'll never want to buy another AA/14500 flashlight again (unless you loose it).

uofaengr likes this.
  14. uofaengr

uofaengr Loaded Pockets

I will look into that one. Thanks for the recommendation.

Eagle Scout likes this.
  15. Maze

Maze Loaded Pockets

I can echo this as well. I've had a LOT of lights. Now I only carry ZL.

uofaengr likes this.
  16. uofaengr

uofaengr Loaded Pockets

Without a doubt, it's crazy how bright and efficient (and affordable) these lights are now. Just from reviews I've seen, I feel like if the SC52 was wearing a different brand name such as Surefire, it'd be at least $200.

Normally I'd be skeptical of the manufacturer ratings, but Selfbuilt's written review of this light was incredible. How this light can sustain runtimes at those brightnesses is amazing.

17. nicknapp

nicknapp Loaded Pockets

The SC52w is a pretty great light, but is a little large for my pocket. I wasn't terribly impressed with the l10c, it's a great light for the money, but not a great light. I love my 47s preon p2 with the N219, except it has a tendancy to come on in pocket. A couple of others to consider are the Eagletac d25a with n219 (I reply liked the ui and beam on this light, but the quality was lacking slightly) and the Thrunight T10 in neutral white (just got this light and I'm fairly happy with it).

Of all of those, the zebralight and 47s are my favorites.

uofaengr likes this.
  18. dplafoll

dplafoll Loaded Pockets

I have the L11C and I am absolutely floored at how good it is. Granted, I've not had anything nicer, but for around $40 shipped you can buy that, some nice batteries, and still have some money left over for other things.

GatorMedic and uofaengr like this.
  19. archimedes

archimedes EDC Junkie!!!

From your list, I would choose the Peak.

Moving beyond your listed choices, I would choose a Malkoff MDC-AA ... :)

uofaengr likes this.
  20. uofaengr

uofaengr Loaded Pockets

I'd like to see a couple more reviews just because, but as of right now I'm heavily leaning this light plus the ZL.

It's always easier for me to justify the batteries and charger out of pocket rather than the lights themselves. ;)