1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

So...what's the big deal with...

Discussion in 'Knives' started by ReadyFreddy23, Apr 9, 2015.

1. ReadyFreddy23

ReadyFreddy23 Loaded Pockets

I study a couple of different martial arts (BJJ and Krav Maga). I study anatomy on my own by reading Grey's Anatomy (the medical book not tv show). I have a BOB puncing bag that I used a pink marker to draw lines to show where major arteries should be located. I work on my cardio, strength, and flexibility. I carry several items of differing levels of force so I can use appropriate methods if necessary.

Also, I am 6'1" 250 lbs and so far...nobody has ever looked at me and thought...that looks easy! I walk with purpose and confidence, am constantly alert, scanning my surroundings, and do my very best to be in condition yellow as much as possible.

So...I guess the short answer is I'd like to say yes but you never really know for sure until it really happens. I pray that it never does.

Dorian and Hangman like this.
  2. ace19636

ace19636 Loaded Pockets

That's easy, any armchair commando can do that but no really there are scenarios that you are SOL either way however if you can increase your chances or make things easier on yourself then why not? Making your tools or weapons easier to get too without sacrificing functionality is a no brainer. Yes practice and knowing your tools help but so dose having the right tools.

Dorian likes this.
  3. JustinJ
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

JustinJ Loaded Pockets

i didn't think it was a big deal. From reading the thread, i see some people like their knives to sit higher for easier extraction, others like it to sit lower so it is less likely to fall out. Mine sits in a little pocket protector thing (currently a Hanks By Hank caddy, previously a Skinth pocket panel) at the bottom of my pocket.

for me, pocket clips are an aesthetic thing and a comfort thing. here is one of my favorite pocket clips. it is thick and wide with rounded edges for comfort, and stylishly carved/milled/whatever for looks.
    [​IMG]

I would not mind if all knives had a clip like that. i would be very happy. and buy a lot more knives.

Dorian likes this.
  4. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

During the early 60s, after studying several martial methods while living overseas when my late father was stationed at several US naval bases in the Far East, I turned-out to be a real punk. Constantly street fighting to test my skills.

What most of you dread about it really happening happened to me. I've been punched, kicked, choked, cut, and superficially stabbed, among others. I did the same thing to others. Left them bleeding, knocked-out on the dirty streets as I ran and hid from the local cops and US Navy SPs like the petty criminal that I was at the time and eventually made my way to the base hospital.

Others' superior height, weight, skill, knowledge, training, whatever, didn't mean jack :censored: to me because I had the element of surprise going for me when I preyed on others. The tactic frequently backfired on me; much to my GREAT dismay. I frequently carried a 5-inch hissatsu then. Having nothing else to occupy my free time, I practiced sometimes hundreds of times a day until I could draw and slice something in less than a blink of the eye. With that skill developed, everyone looked "easy" to me. Unfortunately for me, I was not alone with this skill and attitude. There were many that saw others as "easy" as well and I fell victim to them, too, despite my own advanced skill set.

Self defense with just a knife if not very effective. The only time that I will consider defense with a blade is with a 26-inch katana only if the others only have shorter implements to work with so that I am reasonably assured that will have the upper hand. However, if someone gabs a 6-foot pole, I'll back off despite my training with the sword. Learned that, too, years ago...:nah_disagree:

Your training, studying, posturing, and all that other crap becomes all useless unless you do it every single day. And even when you do, you will never know if you will able to actually use those skills until you are actually tested. At very moment that you are attacked, the mind and body default to what you are accustomed to doing e v e r y d a y.

Don't delude yourself that you can defend against someone with a pipe or baton or against multiple attackers with just a 3-inch folding knife.

Praying is not going to help anyone much if at all when attacked.

5. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

Back OT.

Pocket clip on knives? whatever....

6. ReadyFreddy23

That is why I carry different levels of force options, including a .45.

7. hawkeye-

hawkeye- Loaded Pockets

I've had my knife with an Emerson Wave feature open in my pocket and slice my finger. Not pleasent.

8. Minibear453
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Minibear453 Loaded Pockets

That's why I always carry so that the blade is tucked against the seam of my pants. Helps keep everything closed.

Adahn likes this.
  9. hawkeye-

hawkeye- Loaded Pockets

It doesn't help with the Emerson Wave. I go from sitting to standing, it opens. I've stabbed my leg a few times with that. . . . . .

10. Minibear453
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Minibear453 Loaded Pockets

I've never had this happen before... so just to clarify, I carry the knife so the clip holds the blade right against the seam of my pants. That way, there's no space for the blade to move. How are you carrying it?

AK Adventurer likes this.
  11. sungame

sungame Loaded Pockets

That's one of the reasons I do not own anything with a Wave feature.

OT, I do not currently own any folder with a pocket clip. If I were to get one, though, I would certainly prefer one with a deep pocket clip. Why? To make sure the knife does not catch on anything or fall out of my pocket.

12. hawkeye-

hawkeye- Loaded Pockets

The same way, but it's on a ZT 620 and it flicks open REALLY easy. That might be more the issue than the Wave, I might get the wave professionally taken off. Not too sure yet.

13. GatorMedic

GatorMedic Loaded Pockets

If the nano-second longer it might take to get a knife out of your pocket with a deep carry clip as opposed to a regular pocket clip would ever conceivably be the difference between life and death/serious injury, then the extra nano seconds to deploy a folding knife over a fixed blade would make the point moot because they've already died in those nano seconds. The scenarios in which a nano second would actually make the difference is such a tiny possibility that it's practically inconceivable to begin with so there's that as well.

14. ReadyFreddy23

Whatever advantsge I can gain, I want it. That's why I carry a fixed blade too.

Not every situation is going to be vertical, on your back, or stomach. How would you retrieve a knife from your chosen pocket in the situations I just mentioned? What if your dominant hand or arm is injured how would you deploy a knife in your right front or rear pocket?

What if...?

Dorian likes this.
  15. jazzandmetal?

jazzandmetal? Loaded Pockets

Agree with the comfort statement. Where did you get that clip?